Which is more important for a XC race virgin?

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited December 2007 in XC and Enduro
This is probably not really an issue to any experienced racers, but would like their input.

I, like many others on here will be looking to take part in their 1st event in the coming year (and my 2nd, 3rd and etc).

My question:
Which is more important - your fitness or your technical ability?

I ask as I returned to MTB around 6 months ago and although my ability has come on leaps, I would not say I was the most technically competent rider. However I can't say I am ever left behind when riding with others.
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Both are important as each other.

You need to be able to have the skill to put the power down, if you cant handle the bike on things like technical climbs, then having the fitness is a waste of time.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    What races are you thinking of entering?

I wouldn't mind entering the next soggy bottoms but dont think I'm fit enough. I dont worry too much about technical ability as I seem to cope alright, but without seeing or riding the course first its hard to tell!
  • FSR_XC
    Yep, next Soggy Bottom.

Photographed the first event. I was more concerned on how technical it was. Apart from a triple bomb hole section where a few ran wide (as there was a stump on the down of the second), it wasn't bad.

It might be different if it is very wet!

Sir HC (and everyone else), maybe this will help in the poll.

Which would you rather have 'ability' or 'fitness'?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

• milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Ah, I wont be in the country for the second soggy bottom, maybe I'll try and get fit for the 3rd in Feb.

Whats the total distance, and what did you think of the overall fitness? Are people flat out?
  • Assuming the race will have some technical trails, I'd say technical ability. If you're not fit, you might come in last, but if you can't ride the technical sections, you might end up with severe injuries...
    CoachLevi.com
  • FSR_XC
    I could be looking forward to a few 'inccidents' then, if I try racing too hard.

Milese - laps on the first race (don't know if the track is the same for all) were 3.2 miles. Fun race (think this will do me for a first race) was 3 laps, Sport etc was 4 laps and top class was 5.

• I have just started riding with a groupe, and although my fitness is good enough to keep up on most of the ride, it is the technical bits where my lack of expearience lets me down, and i fall right behind. Because i am not used to riding technical trails i don't have much confidence and i slam the breaks on and usually come off because i am going too slow to get through,e.g, a hard left/right turn where you are bashing elbows on trees. So basically i think you definately need both. You may be the fittest man in the world, but if you cack your shorts on all the technical bits you are not going to win.

Andy.
  • I think a really well thought out course would mean that you would need technical ability and fitness in equal measure but I've raced a few XC courses where its fairly flat for most of the course. I've often been overtaken by roadies who look like they're about to fall off at any moment (the shaved legs give it away :wink: ).
  • There are so many variables I don't think there can be one correct answer, but as long as your technical ability is not so limited that you can't even stay on the bike, then I would say fitness is more important.

Copy and pasted from a message I posted on another site;
    If I cycle 10km up hill at 10km/h that's an avearge of 10km/h.
    If I now whizz down the hill at 20km/h, I have done 20km in 1h30m, averaging 13.3km/h
    If I go down hill a bit faster at 30km/h that's 20km in 1h20m or 15km/h average.
    Even if I fly down at 60km/h, tht's 20km in 1h10m or little over 17km/h.

On the other hand, a small increase from 10 to 12km/h up the hill saves 10 minutes in the hour or roughly equivelant to the difference between 20 and 30km/h down hill.
    It looks like working hard up the hills is a better way of increasing average speed than taking chances on the way down trying to save a fraction of a second on every corner.
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.