If you were to be World No.1 at any discipline.

camzo1066
camzo1066 Posts: 24
edited November 2007 in MTB general
I was wandering what people thought would be the best discipline to be World No.1 at?

Comments

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Before I vote . . . . .

I would expect people to think XC is the boring option where as DH or 4X a more adrenaline pumped, hard mans option.

mmmm, can I choose 2?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • DJ for me.
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I hate the word discipline when used to describe a style of riding.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    BMX without a doubt :P
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Poker or wining the lottery..
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    I would love to be downhill world champ
    however at my age weight/fitness level and low scare threshold quite apart from the most staggering lack of talent ever seen in the last 200 years. It really is time I faced facts. it aint going to happen
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • I'm looking at it as which contains the most.

XC you can do more places than the other types and if you were the best you'd be in good physical order which would be nice. You could still easily hop on a DH bike and as long as you keep fear at bay you could whip down a course.

DH you would probably suck at XC and also, In DH, speed is relative really. An amateur can think jesus i'm going fast and having fun the same as a pro can think jesus i'm going fast and I hope I beat the clock

dirt jumping although fun is a bit pointless (I dirt jump so its not a biased view)
    slopestyle is limited in places to do it same with 4X

I think it would have to be bmx and XC.
    Thing with bmx is that pro's can pull huge amounts of tricks so you can measure it in some way. You can ride down a street and what ever you see you can have fun on, wall rides, grinds, drops, jumps etc, whereas if you're crap you can only see curb jumps.

yep bmx first and then XC
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    You missed off "Tooling About" as an option...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    Tooling about

yes Dave I COULD be world Champ at that! all is not lost. I shall get into training..
    erm how do you train for tooling about?
    You dont have to be a complete tool do you?
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • DH or XC

I wouldn't say some one who is good at downhill is rubbish at XC. Some guys I ride XC with are fast at both and do well in both events.
  • DH......Ski-ing :) That way i could ski every day instead of just two weeks a year, which aint enough! But getting back on topic, i think XC. Like others have said, you get to ride a lot more places on much longer rides instead of going down the same DH run for hours on end (unless your in Whistler) XC keeps you fitter. I would love to compete in events like the Trans Rockies and Cape Epic (think that is what it is called, the one in South Africa anyway) as i imagine you'd get a much bigger sence of acheavement finnishing those than making it down a DH course for the 2000th time. I have tried a bit of bownhill (well steep singletrack with a few jumps) and with such a high risk of seariouse injury i don't think i would do it even if i could.

Andy.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    clas wrote:
    Tooling about

yes Dave I COULD be world Champ at that! all is not lost. I shall get into training..
    erm how do you train for tooling about?
    You dont have to be a complete tool do you?

Tooling about is actually quite easy. You go for a ride with no clear picture of what you are actually setting out to acheive, or even where you are going. Make it up as you go along, and if anyone asks you where you are going say, "I'll tell you when I get back".

Tooling about also involves (but isn't limited to) stopping for no apparent reason and staring into space; eating flapjacks and bananas at irregular intervals; talking to wildlife; admiring the view.

I find that tooling about is best accomplished solo, although one or two close companions can also add to the experience.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I love that description of tooling about. The world would be calmer, happier and more peaceful place if everyone made time for that sort of ride every now and then.:D

Might have to plan... Sorry, not plan... Might have to let that happen this weekend!
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    XC, only because if I was onto a good earner I'd rather be doing something where career ending injuries are less likely... :)