Today's findings

Steve_b77
Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
edited November 2007 in MTB general
I decided to go try out some full sussers today, so off I went ot one of the LBS' that stock them and headed for the '07 section to save a bit of the rolling stuff.

The only one that caught my eye within my budget was a massivley reduced Rocky Mountain Slayer 50, it was down to £1100, so I asked if I could take it for a quick spin and the bike was great, as was the customer service, but it was much more than I needed being a 6" travel All-Mountain rig.

So off I toddled to Halfords to have a look at GT I-Drive 5 XCR, I asked the numbnuts behind the counter to look at it so he took it off the rack and left me with it, I sat on the bike and the shock bottomed out, so I asked him to put some air in it cue:

"That will take too long as it's a complicated job and we haven't got a shock pump for it" after I came round I pointed one out on the shlef and he undertook the lengthy task of pumping some air into the shock.

I thought to myself this ain't bad but a bit on the heavy side, so I asked if they had one instock in the 18" frame, he said the computer was down and couldn't check without going to the store room and wanted ot know if they had one would I want it so he didn't have to make 2 trips!!! So I left :?

Off I went to the new Evans Cycles at the new Ski Slope near the Trafford Centre, and straight away the guy was most helpfull, I had a look at a Pinnacle 1.0 - nice bike kinda funny looking I thought - and then a Specialized FSR XC Comp very nice I thought and then I saw the FSR XC Pro both were in large so I asked for a Medium to try.

Sat on it and it felt right striaght away, asked if I could take a spin round the carpark/building site thats still there -1pence off my debit card and a piccy of my face later- I was on my way round the place, I was instantly impressed.

10 minutes later my mind was made up.

I pick my new Specialized FSR XC Pro up tomorrow and I can't wait to ride it, probably tomorrow afternoon :D:D

Evans' customer service was excellent, the mechanic checked the bike before they'd let me out on it even though it was already assmebled and they ran through how to set up the fork and shock aswell.

Comments

• You sound like a very happy chappy!

Not surprised by the welcome you received at Halfords. I only use them in moments of desperation, usually in a town I don't know. Equally not surprised that you had help and advice from Evans and your LBS.

Have fun! :lol:
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hats off to Halfords - again!
  • supersonic wrote:
    Hats off to Halfords - again!

I walked into mine recently to pick up some Teflon grease/chain breaker and had one of those north face 'puffa' jackets on - I had just washed it and tumble dried it so to say it was huge was an understatement... made my normally large heed look like a pea.

As I walked by the mechanic pit these two young 'd'ya want fries with that' goons started making pumping noises and pretending to 'pump the coat up'. Considering I am twice their age and twice their size they were taking a gamble! :twisted:

So I calmly walked over to them (resisting urge to tell their fortune) and asked if they had a 25 mm axle for my rear wheel as I has snapped mine ( :lol: ) and he only checked the bloody computer - I was pissing myself - revenge is sweet when I told him there is not such a thing. What a dick!

:lol:
  • jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    Excellent!!! :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    This is how I got my job in Halfords - I told the staff more about the bike they were trying to sell me than they new, so they offered me a job!
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    GRRRR Feckin Halfords,

I once went in and asked if the sold bike frames (I had a pile of bits in the shed, and a fram would have given me a complete bike...)

I asked the girl behind the counter, she looked at me like I had just asked for directions to the Moon and then said "No, its not something we do".

Really what about the one hanging up behind you with a price tag on it?

You couldn't make it up
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Glad to hear Evans at the Trafford Centre has good customer service.

I'm up Manchester at the weekend and was planning on popping in to look at a road bike.

You'll love the XC Pro btw. I haven't regretted anything about my Comp yet.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    I got my Altura Crosslite coat from Traff evans and the service was spoton :)

Its nice to have a decent bike shop on my doorstep!
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Went to go and get the bike today but had a change of heart and walked out with a Pitch Comp after considering what I was going to be doing with it and the versatility.

Much inpressed am I, can;t wait for the weekend :D