Can overtraining cause low blood counts?

flattythehurdler
flattythehurdler Posts: 2,314
Does anyone know anything about this? As I intimated on previous threads, i have been feeling a bit tired recently. I just checked my blood count and have low red cells, haematocrit, white cells and platelets.
Can this be caused by overtraining?
Dan

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    It's not clear if you've checked your blood count or whether your GP checked it?
  • I think low red cells can indicate over training. Not sure about white cells - aren't they only raised when you're poorly? Platelets are for clotting - too high isn't good I'm guessing ... how about asking your GP or the nurse/medical centre to explain!
  • mangaman
    mangaman Posts: 704
    I would see your doctor - if it wasn't him/her that did the blood count

I think it needs looking into
  • Got my friend at the hospital to check it. Spoke to another mate who is a haematologist who said tom recheck it. Looked it up on the tinternet :shock:
    Dan
  • Sounds like a case to get some EPO legally proscribed
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    If you are concerned about something see your GP. I'm not convinced that DIY healthcare is a good idea: depending on your personality you'll either convince yourself there is something seriously wrong or just sweep issues under the carpet.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • I tend to be a sweeper. Having a blood film on tuesday. Have already asked about epo :-). Have had 5 steaks in 2 days.
    Dan
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    EPO would never be prescribed for the correction of short term anaemia and only corrects red cell deficiency, not white cells or platelets. One possibile reason for your relatively low levels of the major blood components is that you are haemodiluted becuase you are physically fit - i.e. endurance training causes a rise in blood plasma volume which causes a relative reduction in the percentage of blood cells. This wouldn't explain the tiredness though so you should go back to see your GP/nurse and seek the underlying cause of your fatigue/pancytopaenia.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Agree with most of the above. Without knowing the numbers it is difficult to comment and without knowing any of your medical background, previous results etc it would be downright dangerous to comment. If your 'mate' checked them and then a haematology mate is re-checking them then if they say the numbers are odd then off to your GP.
    (have fun explaining how you know your numbers are wrong without dropping your mate in it ) :wink:
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Well, my creatinine was up, so I was a bit dehydrated when it was taken. My reticulocyte count was low as well which would tend to indicate decreased production of red cells rather than increased turnover, and my LDH was normal which would support this, so my mate says. Off to GP for blood film tomorrow (and the pirates of the carribean 3 on DVD).
    I want epo. Lots of epo.
    Dan