Dec 30th Spam Biking 'race'

harry_jones1984
harry_jones1984 Posts: 1,150
edited January 2008 in XC and Enduro
http://www.spambiking.co.uk salibury plane huge turn out cross country race (60k) anyone else going, i've got 2/3 friends going! should be fun

did anyone else do the september bikefest race?

Comments

• I will be doing it, although I was waiting until the date was confirmed before sending off my entry.

I have done it for the last couple of years and it is always a good challenge, and a nice event to start the new year with. Hopefully the course will be more the one at the start of this year with one long lap, rather than the two short laps of the year before. Although thinking about it I will be happy if they miss out that road climb at the start.
  • owen_MTB
    owen_MTB Posts: 222
    i think im doing it now =] which distance are you 2 doing?
    It is a rough road that leads to the heights of greatness
  • It will be the long route for me. I just need to decide whether to do it on the single speed again.
  • SINGLE SPEED!! You must be joking!! LOL. what was your time when you did it last??
  • I think it was just over three hours for the long route. It was very tough - mainly due to the headwind that I seemed to spend the whole ride riding into.... The strange thing was for the first half of the ride I was constantly overtaken by geared riders, but by the 2nd half the mud and filth had started jamming everyone's drive trains up giving me a bit of an advantage. To date I think it was probably the hardest single speed ride I have done.
  • i'll be doing the long one, and am also wondering wether to go for the pimping santacruz or the rigid single speed,, will decide based on conditions (don't want to get the sc muddy :wink: )

i have done the 60k one this year would be be roughly the same length? i havn't got an entry form yet

i have atleast 2 other people doing it with me, you guys up for an after ride pint?
  • On-line Entriesand off line entries now available on www.spambiking.co.uk --- online paypal payment (ooh snazzy)

50k + 35k =£18 entry or £20 on the day
    25k = £6 or £8 on the day

See you there! :wink:
  • Harry, you describe this as a race, but on their website they say it is a non-competitive event.
    Is it a mass start or do you just set off any time after the official start time ?
    Are you timed or does everyone self time and compare times afterwards ?
    Does everyone treat it as a race, even though it isn't really, or do a lot of riders just plod round the course ?
    Sounds like a good day out, I'd just like to know a bit more about it before I commit myself. Any on line reports from previous events ?
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • As it is partly held on public right of ways it is definitely not a race. It is a mass start (for each distance) so does have a bit of a 'race' feel to it. As with any event like this some people do like to push themselves to see how fast they can get around; while others are happy to take it slowly - the conditions normally make the event a challenge for everyone. I always find that for the first 30 minutes or so it does have a race feel to it, then as the riders spread out everyone chills out. If you don't want to go too quick just make sure you are near the back at the start.

Normally these events are timed, and then the times are published in alphabetical order.

The old SPAM website did have reports from old events but this seems to have disappeared.
  • Thanks Jason. I guessed there might be some legal complications with holding a "race" on ROWs and reading those threads it does seem that is the case.
    I reckon I'll give it a go. I've never done anything like this before, in fact I've only ever done 40km on a MTB in one day a couple of times, 50km of heavy going will be a real challenge for me.
    Any advice for a first timer ?
    Reading some of the comments about the advantages of single speeders over derailleurs on this sort of mud and looking at this picture in particular...

spamwinter07_4_lo.jpg

...I think I should stop putting off buying a Rohloff as it should give me the best of both worlds.
  • Well I guess the main thing is to pace yourself. With a ride like this it is easy to ride too fast at the start and really pay the penalty later on. It is much better to start slow and finish strong.

Remember to eat and drink on the way around, there are normally a couple of feed stations handing out bananas, but best to have some energy drink or bars with you as well.

Check the forecast before hand, this ride is normally very cold and dry or cold and wet. Wearing the right clothes makes it a lot more enjoyable. The Plain is very exposed in places.

Don't be surprised if you end up pushing up a couple of the hills, most people did last year.

There will be lots of other people finding it tough, I always finding chatting to people on the way around make the miles a little bit easier.
  • Thanks again, all common sense stuff really.
    Well, I've entered. That's me down the bottom of the list, "Phillips, Graham (www.veganfitness.net - 50km)" so there's no going back now.
    All that's left is to turn up on the day with a rucksack full of bananas and chocolate soya milk and give it a go.
  • i did describe is as a 'race' not a race 80 as for wether or not it is well depends on who you ride with, personally it's a get round as quickly as possible, and see where your mates are.

tips for riding it. think what speed you can acctually maintain and then go a little slower as after an hour or so the energy levels start to drain. make sure you have a decent sized breakfast and drink lots (water/sports drinks)

don't get worked up if your chain comes off or you fall off.

wear appropriate clothing (the less you wear the less there is to get muddy) remember you want to be a little cold to start with so when you get warmed up you're not sweating too much
  • OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    Does anyone know of any local accomodation like B&Bs or Youth Hostels nearby between Westbury and the Levingtons?
    I haven't been able to find much other than pricey holiday cottages.
  • yensid
    yensid Posts: 19
    The Stage Post in West Lavington does accomadation - never been in, no idea of cost or what it's like. Good pub called the George and Dragon in Erlestoke but I don't think they do B&B - but possibly worth a call. Or you've got a standard Travelodge on the intersection of the A350/A36 near Warminster, a bit further away - about 20 mins drive to Erlestoke.
    Hope this is of help.
  • OllyUK
    Thanks alot Yensid, I also just found a B&B in Erlestoke so Im going to give them a ring and if they are booked up or anything I'll check out the Stage post.
    Im taking the train down to Westbury on the 29th and then will cycle to wherever I find accomodation and then take the train back on the 30th.
  • www.farmstay.co.uk

www.churchfarmbandb.com <- and i can give you a lift! is there is a room available

Edit: at church farm in pretty sure there's a self catered flat/bandb available for that day.
    there is also secure storage for your bike :P also: Chippenham train station is a 15 min road ride away
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Amesbury & Salisbury are just down the road too for B&B's. I'd come along for this, but seeing as my wife is due our 3rd child on the 30th of December, I'll have to sit this one out. Shame, as it's my local stomping ground.
  • Well I'm back.
    2.44 for 52km. I don't know how good that is until they post the results, but I think there were more behind me than in front.

Edit;
    I just found the results on http://ccgi.timelaps.force9.co.uk/htdocs/SalisburyWinterChallenge_30-12-07.htm

I was 90th out of 336 :D
  • Well done Graham that is a great result for your first event.

I managed to injure myself (in a little crash) last week so wasn't able to take part. A shame really as I was looking forward to it and the weather looked to be good.
  • i've been suffering from flu since the 22nd. well gutted i missed it. alot of people are complaining of too much road tho?
  • OllyUK
    Unfortunatly I couldnt make it down due to logistics, and going via train would have costed me nigh on £80. :?
    But soon I'll be able to drive...so hopefully I'll be able to make it to more events further away. :D (maybe the blast in september)
  • The Salisbury Winter Challenge was brilliant. That steep hill at the beginning is a killer but it enables the better riders to overtake and get out ahead. Personally there wasn't near enough technical sections with some proper bumps and jumps and a bit too much riding on grassy fields, but it was still excellent. The views were great, friendly atmosphere and well organized. I saw some guys on a tandem.