Bike shops around Sheffield

mozzle
mozzle Posts: 100
edited November 2007 in MTB general
Apart from JE James are there any decent bike shops in or around the Sheffield area?

Comments

• tommywmb
    tommywmb Posts: 148
    What are you after?

Langsett Cycles up near Hillsborough and Decathlon by Bramall Lane are the ones I tend to use. You also have JE James and Fosters cycles in Rotherham if need be.
  • mozzle
    Im in the market for a new fs bike. The only shops by me are Leisure Lakes, good range of bikes but their customer servive isnt the best and Evans, where they have to order you in the bike just so you can look at it!
  • tommywmb
    JE James and Langsett are the way to go then. Langsett Cycles will probably only have Scott full sussers at the mo IIRC. There may be some bikes in the Rotherham JE James that aren't in the Sheffield one, so give it a try. Not a bad shop in all!

Is there a particular brand or model your after? I pop in James' quite a lot so might be able to advise if they have it in?
  • mozzle
    Got a short list of 4 bikes at the min.
    Rocky Mountain ETSX 70
    Gary Fisher HiFi Carbon
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    or the dark horse of the bunch.. Tomac Snyper 140 one, Stif in Leeds stock this so might travel a little bit further to check it out :D
  • tommywmb
    Ah...

They have none of those!

Sounds like Stif is the way to go! You've got Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative in Chapel Allerton too.
  • mozzle
    Where abouts is Chapel Allerton?
    Only in the area for the weekend and dont really know my way round :(
  • tommywmb
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Chapel+Allerton,+Leeds,+United+Kingdom&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

Bout 3k outsiode of Leeds centre. Not far from the uni if you know that?
  • mozzle
    2 miles away from the Stif store! Kill 2 birds with 1 stone I reckon. :D
  • tommywmb
    Nice one!

You better stick pics up of whichever one you buy! :wink:
  • mozzle
    Sure will :D
    Have you got any opinions on those bikes I mentioned or any other suggestions on any other bikes around that price range.. £3k is my limit.
  • tommywmb
    Hmm...

The Heckler is niiiiice, though you'd probably get better value with the others. I'm not a massive fan of Gary Fisher as I had one of their hardtails a while ago and the quality of finish was a bit shonky.

You considered...

Scott Ransom (Some BARGAINS on last years models)
    Spesh Enduro '08 (Not sure on the proprietary suspension though)
    New GT Force '08
    :?:
  • mozzle
    Not too keen on the Scott Ransom's, prefer the Genius range myself.
    Yeah I agree about the GT Force they are a good looking bike.
    I like Spesh bikes but thats all I ever seem to use so going to try another make!
  • tommywmb
    The carbon Ransom Ltd with gold decals is one of my favourite bikes ever! Not that I could afford one!

You ride round here much then Mozzle?
  • mozzle
    Your right that carbon Ransom is the dogs danglies! Bit too heavy though.. 31lbs for the LTD version!!
    Never ridden in that part of the country, got a mate who lives up there and he got into biking about 7months ago, so as soon as hes upto speed gonna be up there a lot cycling. He lives about 10 mins away from Edale so hes ideally located for some great trails :D
    Although if I buy a bike saturday it would be rude not too take it for a spin wouldnt it :wink:
  • tommywmb
    Edale? Nice!

Got a couple of mates who go riding round there and swear by it!
  • mozzle
    Yeah cant wait to get up there and try it for myself cos ive heard such good things about the area.
    How about you, wheres your main play ground
  • tommywmb
    Rotherham!

TBH its not brilliant, but there are a few decent spots, perfect for quick one hour blasts but if you want something a bit more substantial you have to string the offraod bits together with a bit of road work.

Want to get to Wharnecliffe a bit more, and get out round Ladybower Reservoir and stuff a bit more too.
  • mozzle
    Ladybower! Couldnt think of its name.. thats where my mate goes all the time, he loves biking round there.
    Sounds like your in the same boat as me, rubbish area for trails.
    Where im from in warwickshire there isnt a single decent hill!!! So its just a case of link as many bridle ways together as possible and in the process get covered in 10ton of shit :lol:
  • off-one
    off-one Posts: 155
    Lex's Cycles in Penistone stock Fishers and theres a shop in Hope that stocks some high end stuff I think its called 18 cycles or something.