Bike insurance in MBUK

capoz77
capoz77 Posts: 503
edited November 2007 in MTB general
There is a bike insurance company which has a fallout leaflet in most issues of MBUK, MBR etc I seem to remember it quoting around £35 a year for cover. Anyone any ideas who this is?

Also any reccomendations for insurance?

I keep bike in shed will this pose problems?

Comments

• That post just lowered me to digging around my bedroom bin! :lol:
    The leaflet i usualy have falling out is E&I insurance. its in my MBUK every month.
    they do leasure and competition insurance seperate and the leasure goes up to an insured value of £5000 at £34 per month.
    Hope thats any help.
    David
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Thats the one E&I! thanks for the succesful bin rumage! :)

OUCH £34 a month, I thought it was per annum :- /

May have to shop around methinks!
  • blooming eck, thats dearer than my car insurance
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    its £34 a month of you have 5k worth of kit. I just binned my leaflet but i think is nearer £6 a month to insure 500 or 600 quids worth of kit.

Is always best to shop around with these things though.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    M&S Home insurance is very good for bike cover, worth looking into.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    Bike insurance is such a rip off. Cheaper to insure a 20k car than a 3k bike :?
  • I do mine through Hiskops home insurance. My bike was stolen about 6weeks ago and they paid up for a new one. very good service :D
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I've got mine on my house insurance. It put my monthly premium up by £5 and that's for an 07 spesh stumpy FSR elite (£1800). It's down as a listed item on the insurance, the only condition is that it is anchored to something solid (even though it's in the garage).
    Unlike most of the bike specific insurance they don't tell you what locks to use either.

If you've got house insurance its much cheaper to cover a bike that way.

My insurance is with Liverpool Victoria. (I'm pretty sure it's covered for accidental damage as well as theft).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I'm with E&L. The bloke i spoke to on the phone didnt have a clue about bikes which is a bit annoying. i was trying to list the parts of my bike and i had to spell each one! got the documents through and apparently i have spam gears? and mayvek crossmaxer wheels?

another annoying thing is they will only cover your cost and not the replacment cost. which means due to all my deal surfing i suffer because i cant get the same deals again:(
    Who said gears for queers? i wanna find them...