Yeti 575 or Santa Cruz Nomad or something else?

Janner
Janner Posts: 20
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
Just looking for some advice. So far I have narrowed it down to a 08 Yeti 575 and the nomad. I want something with a bit more travel and a different feel to my 06 Stumpjumper pro but still able to ride all day over the trails in Scotland. My only concern with the Nomad is its weight for all day riding as for the Yeti I have managed to bag a demo ride on an 07 575 this weekend. I just hope it doesn't feel to similar to my current bike.

Any advice welcome :)

Thanks

Comments

• Not sure about the Yeti{though always hear great things about the 07 model - and a lot of online shops are selling them for bargain £800 at the moement} but I've had a go on my mates Nomad and it was wee bit on the heavy side for all day riding. Admittedly he had built it up pretty strongly, so might be improved by a lighter build but then it's inherent strengths might be compromised. Of course it flew down the way!
    Trust the Rubber!
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Nomad's a big bike. What about a Heckler. Still 6" of travel but a bit lighter and hence more versatile. Or if you want VPP, an Intense 5.5 or Blur LT.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Janner
    Janner Posts: 20
    Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the Yeti I just hope I am impressed after I have ridden it or it is back to square one.

Thanks
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Have a look at a Foes FXR. Totally gorgeous machines.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • stof41
    stof41 Posts: 8
    why not look at fitting a Betd link and adding a couple of inches travel at the rear
  • badblood
    badblood Posts: 86
    my vote is for the 575, I have one and it is built up to under 30lbs, climbs like a hardtail and comes down like a bat out of hell!! easliy light enough for all day rides and tough enough for most uk riding

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1931898/
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Have a look at the following:
    Orange 5
    Commencal Meta
    Turner 5 Spot
    Ellsworth Epiphany
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • supermonkey
    supermonkey Posts: 315
    If you have the budget check out the Ibis Mojo. If I had the money that's where I'd be putting it. The reviews speak for themselves - Until very recently neither the Mojo or Mojo SL had been marked down even one single chilli in over 60 reviews (Not one or two reviews... more than 60!) - I don't think you can say that about any other bike:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Allmtn_Full ... 8477.shtml
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Allmtn_Full ... 1008.shtml
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    This reply may be a tad late but how did you find the 07?

I went to one of the bike demo days and got an hour ride on a 08 YETI 575 and it is the best bike i have ever riden hands down. i rode many different bikes that day including scot, trek and lapierre and the YETI was by far the most fun to ride. I was climbing with the hardtails and creaming everyone on the downhills. i did have the top of the range spec (XTR etc etc) but im sure a cheraper SLX would still be just as good.

if i had thge money it would goto a 575.

hope that helps :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you after something primarily to take big hits, or primarily for all day riding?
    Depending on what you want most, then it may skew what kind of bike would suit you best.
  • YHM the OP posted in Sep '07!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    oh yeah :oops: