carrera lrs3 snapped chainstay - warning

farmer_giles
farmer_giles Posts: 39
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hi there, 1st post but thought it would be a good idea to warn other riders who own one of the LRS bikes. That there is a pottential issue with the chain stay just snapping..without warning!.. I have riden the bike for over 3 years and have had no problems with it at all... really is a good bike, until yesterday. Riding on the road the bike just colapsed. I regulary check and service the bike... it had just been serviced by the LBS so it was a massive shock and I consider myself lucky that I escaped unhurt. Apparantly this issue has been reported to Halfords before (I did a search of this problem and found that the same has happened to others). I have emailed merida and also plan to contact Halfords...its a shame really that when Halfords sold me the bike they did not warn me about the problem or send any warning to me via the post.

Hopefully Merida will be able to help out here and provide me with a replacement as I want to keep the bike. If you own one or know of somebody who owns one, then please advise them of this. I'll keep people updated with how I progress with medida / halfords.

cheers

Stu

Comments

• I spent a fortune upgrading my LRS3. Used purely as X-country rider. No jumps. Beautiful to ride and so light. Then the same happened to me But Five yrs (3mth past warranty). Got the Replacement part, but "Halfords" wouldn't touch it, nor would "Merida".
    I had no idea how to replace it. It was the bar/nut/whatever that sits just behind the BB. Cant shift it not one micro meter.Halfords, Merida and no bike shop will touch it.
    I feel really let down by Halfords, and to a lesser extent Merida.

When I first got the bike I contacted "Merida" regarding upgrades they informed me that the serial number I had had faulty gaskets(Something like that) and as a result the rebound couldn't work. They had been recalled but because it was "halfords" they couldn't intervene. They were also shocked that I'd received no manual on the suspension, they sent me a spring upgrade and manual all gratias.

At the time of buying I couldn't fault halford staff(where I am), They were honest, respectful and cyclists, But now they're just salemen.

"The avg bike sold by "Halfords" is expected to last 25hours! Thats 2-3 riding sessions to me.10+ yrs for a young family.
    Says it all.....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Carrera range is not expected to last just 25 hours, I have no idea where you got that from. Maybe parts need servicing and consumables replacing, but that is different.