scott octane (hard tail) info please

saltyman
saltyman Posts: 472
edited November 2010 in MTB general
hi folks, i have just recently bought this scott octane bike.

S8300048.jpg

i have searched all over the net and cant find one like it.

anyone else have one?

i was told it was custom built to order, and the frame is only available in the UK.

it is wearing hope mini discs, FSA arms with talon chain ring, sram 9.0 shifter...........bought it to get me fit and back into my biking again, and im loving being on 2 wheels once again.
roberts dogs bolx
cannondale hooligan 1
cannondale badboy

Comments

• djdime
    djdime Posts: 48
    never seen one before

like your series 1 though :wink:
  • saltyman
    the series 1 is the belongs to the guy i bought the bike off.

he has owned it from new......26yrs old!

i paid £325 for the bike, but when i done my research into it, i just couldn't find anything to go off.........i could only find high octanes etc.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • I remember seeing the scott octanes in magazines about six years ago, they where marketed as a dual slalom/BSX bike, back when BSX was really taking off and full sus was mainly used by downhillers.

I nearly brought one on colour scheme alone, but went for a cove stiffee instead.

Looks like you got a good deal in that bike. The original hope Minis you have are in my opnion one the best brakes hope ever produced. Far superior to there newer offers.
  • I think the frame and forks were around £500-600 but don't quote me on that.
  • saltyman
    thanks for the info folks.

the lad said it was custom built, but i forgot to ask where he got it from.

this is the first bike i have owned with disc brakes, and they are superb!

im already buying some new parts for the bike to suit me.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • djdime
    djdime Posts: 48
    for a bike that is 6 years old that is in immaculate condition mate :) i like it
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is about '99 and be careful as the bars and stem are a one of size.

i would look at changing the forks to a Single crown but keep the same travel. I also nearly bought one when they were out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • saltyman
    99 model, wow!

it is in tip top condition, yeah, guy used it for going to work on occasions.

so i take it most of the parts have been added on later, if the frame is 6-8yrs old?
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    nice looking bike..looks brand new imo it would look better with some single crown forks..
  • saltyman
    i contacted the guy i bought it off last week, tonight............who asked if i wanted to sell it back to him lol!

after telling him no chance, he mentioned the guy he bought it off mentioned there were only a few in the country when he had it built, at a cost of £1300.

8)
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    I know they had one of those framesets for sale in Cycleworld in Sunderland about 5 years ago for £500...the mechanic who works there bought it and sold it on about 3 years ago..might be yours?
  • saltyman
    doubt it, i bought mine in Grimsby.........though i have no idea where he bought th bike from.

im interested to find other owners.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • hi all, ive just bought one of these frames of ebay, with the same forks, i to could find nothing or very little on theses frames. i bought it cos my old rayleigh special products frame is about knackered after 14years of abuse!
    im in the process of swapping over all the bits that fit, just on the offchance, anybody know the seat post diameter? the guy i got it off reckoned it was 26.2 but i cant find any post at that size, only 25.4 or 26.8
    cheers guys
    steelprunes
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Beautiful bike! Id love that!!

Just watch that front hose near the spokes, it looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.