Cycle lanes and car parking

Gambatte
Gambatte Posts: 1,453
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Not bothered about any 'morality' or whether its generally enforced or not, whats the legal position regarding cars parking in cycle lanes?

Got a motorist asking me, had a look at the online highway code and couldn't spot a definite answer.

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    They are legal game for having their wing mirrors accidentally clipped off :twisted:

(I believe that it depends upon the kerbside lines i.e. single red, double red, yellow, etc)
  • Gambatte wrote:
    Not bothered about any 'morality' or whether its generally enforced or not, whats the legal position regarding cars parking in cycle lanes?

Got a motorist asking me, had a look at the online highway code and couldn't spot a definite answer.

The answer is, "It all depends"

If the lane line is dashed, it is not compusory for cars to stay out, so it all depends on what parking regulations the council has devised. Hopefully, there would be signs.

If the line is solid, with accompanying blue signs, then the cars must stay out

Jeremy Parker
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Gussio wrote:
    They are legal game for having their wing mirrors accidentally clipped off :twisted:

:( If they're legally parked I've no real problem with them

I figured a broken line separating the road from the lane and no roadside yellow lines, they'd be OK
  • It can also get more complicated as that as there are some cycle lanes (there's one near me) that is only valid between certain times, much like some bus lanes.