Hey

KingDom
KingDom Posts: 6
edited November 2007 in XC and Enduro
I'm new to this forum, so hey.

I am not new to mtb-ing, when I was younger I used to ride all the time, every day without fail and would do anythiing on my biike, crazy downhill's on my full sus along with the bog standard xc.

Here's my problem, back then I never came off my bike, I had great confidence, would be clipped into my spd's while caning down fast trails., Then when I was about 18, one day on a stretch of road that was closed off as part of a cross country race (organised locally) I got run over by a forkin land rover, (dunno why he was there, but came out of a junction at speed whilst I flew past the junction), I was going quite a hefty speed at the time and was knocked unconscious, woke up, got home (after hospital) sold my bikes, haven't ridden since. My confidence was shot, nothing ever had, or ever has since affected me that bad, but I just didn't wanna get back into riding.

Well 6 or 7 years later and I decided to, but tbh all I can think about is bailing and I'm pretty feckin nervous about using my spd's etc etc, just generally riding really, especially on roads.

Perhaps once I get back on, all will be sweet, I dunno, might just be like riding a bike! But any tips on gettin back into it would be appreciated.

I have been out of the scene for so long that I don't know what's what anymore, my xc bike at the time was a GT Zaskar LE, full xt groupset, Bomber forks, a really nice ride, but now I have a mortgage etc I can't afford that sort of luxury, I got myself (and it should arrive friday) a Giant XtC composite - is this a good bike? I can't find any pictures of it (I think it's the 06 version - bought new from paulscycles.co.uk). Anyone got one? Good bike? Any pics?

Ta and Hi

Dom

Comments

• lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    Hi Dom

I have a an XTC Composite (06) bought 4 weeks ago and it's a great bike to ride, I find the frame very forgiving stiff yet full of movement :? .

Only thing i'm not sure of yet is the forkls but I'm going to persevere with them a bit longer before I try the Tora's I have on my old bike.

Here's pics of mine

n662041907_356271_7478.jpg

n662041907_356272_7806.jpg

n662041907_356270_7148.jpg

I've also lost my nerve after an accident in my 20's that hospitalised me on and off for 8 years. But decided to get my very old bike out of the shed when my kids started to ride bikes. I am also very wary and will avoid doing the easilest things for fear of hurting myself! :roll:

Bec
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • Just get back on and get out there. Build up slowly, but don't bottle the challenges when they come along.

A mate of mine had a bad accident recently. Had surgery on his knee, but was back in the saddle 5 weeks later for a trip to Wales. His confidence has suffered a bit, and it's frustrating to see, as he would have had a lot more fun if he could put the consequences of a potential fall out of his mind.

I find it's when you're thinking about something bad happening that it's most likely to happen...ie. convince yourself you're gonna crash and you'll be TOO cautious and will probably do just that. My advice would be to try and switch off, and get back to what riding a bike should be about...enjoyment.

Hope it goes well.
  • Dan.hkr
    Dan.hkr Posts: 68
    thats a shame about your acident did the driver get prosecuted? anyway the best bet is to get out there go on a nice cross country ride build youself up again! you will soon fall in love with the trails again! i stay clear of roads just for this reason! think of it this way your accident wasnt your fault so dont feel so scared about your own ability mate get out there!!! like sombody else said dont fear the worse or its more likley to happen, be loose take the trail, and mayby invest in some flat pedals until your confident again!

goodluck! :)
    Enjoy the simple things in life
  • Cheers guys. Bike should arrive tomorrow, so I should be out on it sat :) Really lookin forward to it! Will have to start slowly anyway, just had a double op on my knees (football injuries) so wont be caning it anywhere for a while.

Cheers for the pics lovewales, I'm so excited I feel like I'm 7 and it's the night before my birthday! Can't ride it 'til I get back from work tho :(
  • KingDom wrote:
    Cheers guys. Bike should arrive tomorrow, so I should be out on it sat :) Really lookin forward to it! Will have to start slowly anyway, just had a double op on my knees (football injuries) so wont be caning it anywhere for a while.

Cheers for the pics lovewales, I'm so excited I feel like I'm 7 and it's the night before my birthday! Can't ride it 'til I get back from work tho :(

He didn't get prosecuted, he buggered off when I was unconscious and nobody got the bloody number :(

Actually the second time that has happened to me! If I had got their plate either time that woulda more than paid for my bike!

Lovewales - What's wrong with the forks?
  • manitou's aren't renouned for being that good, the reverse arch casting makes the forks quite flex prone, and theyre a bugger to get serviced.
    sorry to hear about your accident buddy! i cant relate, as nothing like thats ever happened to me (some close calls though). take it easy though!
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411

They just don't feel right for me. Could be the flexing feel to them (I'm fairly heavy). The rockshox I had on my last bike (and still have) feel much stiffer.

I am persevering with them for a bit longer to see how I get on with them. Now I am on a smaller frame I am feeling much more confident about my abilites and so the forks are likely to stay on until I kill them :wink:
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • lovewales wrote:

They just don't feel right for me. Could be the flexing feel to them (I'm fairly heavy).

Damn, that doesn't bode well for me then, I'm 6'6" and 17 stone, so I'm guessin they're not gonna be very sure beneath me :s
  • They'll be sturdy enough to take your weight, but the tendency for them to be a bit flexy is spot on. I'm 6'5" and 17 stone and the set I had never let me down. They just weren't very good. The handling of the bike will be much improved by fitting a stiffer fork. Any RockShox fork should do it. Obviously, you're not going to upgrade straight away, but given time you'll probably see what we're on about.

I recently upgraded my Manitous that my bike came with for a set of RS Reba forks. Best thing I ever did. Instantly noticeable improvement.
  • Buckle
    Buckle Posts: 90
    Hi Dom,

As for getting back on your bike, I can only reitterate what others have said here. I had a fairly big over-the-bars experience last year, then in Feb this year, my forks snapped at the bottom of a very steep run-in. Over-the-bars again.

Got a new bike in July and headed back to where the forks snapped to try to beat my demons. I was so surprised that I was as nervous as a kitten, as I normally chuck myself down most stuff. After about an hours' riding, getting used to the handling of the new bike and different tyres, the confidence finally returned and I found I was bombing around (almost) like normal.

Still need a few more rides probably to get back up to full speed but found that I'm enjoying riding much more than I remember, and have even started buying MTB mag's again, which I find helps as I get excitied about getting out again.
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...
  • I went for my first proper ride on it today - was great, after the first 10 mins my wipeout demons were all but exorcised - even did the last 2 miles on rode and didn't worry about the cars at all!

Only 2 problems - I used to be able to do 20miles off rad without breaking a sweat - I struggled to do 5 today! In probably twice the time! It has been 8 years I suppose...

The other is my ass hurts so much!!! I forgot about that - gonna have to get used to it or get a better saddle.
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    its surpirsing how quickly ur fitness improves though! When i started i noticed a massive increase really quickly.
  • maybe get some padded shorts if havent already??

my friend had the manitous and they worked fine for him in the duration he had them until he upgraded to R7's.

fitness does increase suprisingly fast, but when you get fit it's a b*sterd trying to get fitter!!
    meep, \'Quote\' George Morton " wahoo, I\'m popular again"

My XTC: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=154695