Forum home Mountain biking forum The Crudcatcher

Can I put a 31.6mm seat post where usually a 30.9mm post is?

anytear691anytear691 Posts: 84
edited August 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I must be thick, but I dont want to buy this 31.6 one ive seena nd it not fit. cheers for ur help
"Convoy?!, Micheal your spending you time with someone who uses a collective term for a single vehicle!"

Posts

  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    well as it is bigger it will NOT fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • well when you put it like that I luck like a bit of a censored lol, i just thought coz it was only .7 of a mm it was virtually nothing and wouldnt matter, thanks anyway mate!

    Sam
    "Convoy?!, Micheal your spending you time with someone who uses a collective term for a single vehicle!"
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    anytear691 wrote:
    well when you put it like that I luck like a bit of a censored lol, i just thought coz it was only .7 of a mm it was virtually nothing and wouldnt matter, thanks anyway mate!

    Sam

    nope the use of English like that makes you look like a ........

    Seat posts are made in 0.2mm difference in sizes. why would they do that if one that was only 0.7mm oversize fit?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi anytear691

    No, unfortunately it will not fit, you need to get the correct size post for your seat tube
    Your local bike shop should be able to sort you out no probs with the correct size, or if ordering from the internet ensure that you order the correct size and if unsure send an enquiry email first.

    Hope this helps

    prophet_1000

    P.S was this the kind of reply you were after?

    www.27gears.com
    www.27gears.com

    Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • The Big CheeseThe Big Cheese Posts: 10,309 Forum Tart 2010
    Interesting..... but problematic

    I have a virtually brand new Thomson 31.6mm seat post on one of my current builds that I want to transfer to my new Santa Cruz Chameleon frame

    But the seat tube on the chameleon is 30.9..... The only larger size Thomson do is 30.8mm

    So Nick - even though the difference is minuscule - I will have to get another seat post?

    What a bummer!
  • stu8975stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Cheesey wrote:
    Interesting..... but problematic

    I have a virtually brand new Thomson 31.6mm seat post on one of my current builds that I want to transfer to my new Santa Cruz Chameleon frame

    But the seat tube on the chameleon is 30.9..... The only larger size Thomson do is 30.8mm

    So Nick - even though the difference is minuscule - I will have to get another seat post?

    What a bummer!

    Thomson DO do a 30.9mm seatpost...ive got a Thomson Elite on my bike in a 30.9 mm..
  • The Big CheeseThe Big Cheese Posts: 10,309 Forum Tart 2010
    So is the seat post totally unusable with the new frame? - as we are talking 0.3mm difference, by doing the QR clamp up a little tighter - would that not work? Or would it be prone to slippage?

    :?
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Nah, got to get the right size one or you risk problems!
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,506
    anytear691 wrote:
    I must be thick, but I dont want to buy this 31.6 one ive seena nd it not fit. cheers for ur help

    Lets see now, big drill bit, sledge hammer, lots of grease. I think you're ready.

    No wait, welding torch , ya that's it.

    Dennis Noward
    Toledo, Ohio
  • The Big CheeseThe Big Cheese Posts: 10,309 Forum Tart 2010
    supersonic wrote:
    Nah, got to get the right size one or you risk problems!

    Man, that's a shame!

    Frame will be here in a couple of weeks and is paid for - but the Thomson is only a month old and mint condition..... bummer :cry:

    I would put it on the Marin but its already got a nice matching carbon seatpost....... :twisted:
  • L60NL60N Posts: 223
    LoL,

    This is the last straw, and the last post from me.

    Im well and truley fed up with Bike radar.

    First anytear691 gets stripped down by Nicklouse, theres no excuse for the way you talk to people, you may think they are stupid for their questions or spelling errors, but people actually come to a forum for advice, not ridicule. Learn a bit of people skills if you want genuine respect.

    Then Cheesey (Mr Me Me) hijacks his thread talking about himself....again... (surprise surprise).

    BUNCH OF TOSSERS!

    Cya :cry:
  • The Big CheeseThe Big Cheese Posts: 10,309 Forum Tart 2010
    L60N wrote:
    LoL,

    This is the last straw, and the last post from me.

    Im well and truley fed up with Bike radar.

    First anytear691 gets stripped down by Nicklouse, theres no excuse for the way you talk to people, you may think they are stupid for their questions or spelling errors, but people actually come to a forum for advice, not ridicule. Learn a bit of people skills if you want genuine respect.

    Then Cheesey (Mr Me Me) hijacks his thread talking about himself....again... (surprise surprise).

    BUNCH OF TOSSERS!

    Cya :cry:

    Well, with that attitude I don't think you'll be missed. :shock:

    I really, really really can't believe you mate. It wasn't hijacking a thread - if you look it was the same subject matter...

    I don't know why you're throwing your toys out the pram but it isn't my fault nor anyone else's - and I take exception to the 'Mr me me' :lol: WTF are you on about mate?

    I think you're reading a little too much into things - all Nick mentioned was incorrect grammar as per forum rules........ and whilst on the subject, if anyone should have a gripe it's Nick who seems to get stick for helping people - so what if he doesn't BS and gets to the point - you have become the very thing you seem to hate.....

    We are all grown ups here - let's just get on with the one thing that matters - BIKING!

    :?
  • Chill out guys ffs.

    There's an awful lot of dummies flying about on this thread.

    Take it easy, it's an internet forum.......not real life.

    You take offence, walk away and look at something else, don't take part...it's easy.

    Group hug?

    :lol:
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

    http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x42/ ... 3Small.jpg
  • The Big CheeseThe Big Cheese Posts: 10,309 Forum Tart 2010
    Big n Daft wrote:
    Chill out guys ffs.

    There's an awful lot of dummies flying about on this thread.

    Take it easy, it's an internet forum.......not real life.

    You take offence, walk away and look at something else, don't take part...it's easy.

    Group hug?

    :lol:

    Amen :wink:
  • This thread is full of Flack.
  • Did I miss Something while I was making a brew? LOL
    www.27gears.com

    Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • This thread is full of Flack.

    You said it.
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    You need more grease if you cant get it in. Warming it up first helps it relax and expand.
  • Andy BAndy B Posts: 8,115
    supersonic wrote:
    You need more grease if you cant get it in. Warming it up first helps it relax and expand.

    We are still talking about bikes aren't we...
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Its like making lurve to a beautiful women
  • Christ This was my first ever forum post and I didnt come back online for months. Didnt realise It got so out of hand!

    Apoligies for bad grammer although I must say i really couldnt care less. i came on to ask a question and dont have time to be getting the thesaurus out.

    Hopefully now people have learned that the most obviuos of issues can present a challenge to people.

    Sam
    "Convoy?!, Micheal your spending you time with someone who uses a collective term for a single vehicle!"
  • Hi anytear691

    No, unfortunately it will not fit, you need to get the correct size post for your seat tube
    Your local bike shop should be able to sort you out no probs with the correct size, or if ordering from the internet ensure that you order the correct size and if unsure send an enquiry email first.

    Hope this helps

    prophet_1000

    P.S was this the kind of reply you were after?

    www.27gears.com

    And yes this is the kind of reply I was after! Thankyou;)
    "Convoy?!, Micheal your spending you time with someone who uses a collective term for a single vehicle!"
  • passoutpassout Posts: 4,609
    It doesn't fit.......annoying but true. You'll be OK if you sell it and then buy a new one on Bikeradar or E-Bay. Merlin do Thompson cheap if that helps.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Hi mate thanks but ive had 2 more bikes since this post its a really old one!
    "Convoy?!, Micheal your spending you time with someone who uses a collective term for a single vehicle!"
  • passoutpassout Posts: 4,609
    Really? My mistake.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
Sign In or Register to comment.