How to ride boggy trails

pittpony
pittpony Posts: 1,057
edited October 2007 in XC and Enduro
I was wondering how you guys ride boggy trails?? I came across some boggy patches today and tried to plough on regardless. It worked most of the time but at least once my bike stopped and i very nearly didn't...

Do you try to pick a route round on the firmer mud? Would you get off and push if it looks too bad or there isn't a route through??

Comments

• I just try and pedal through it, and accept that sometimes I won't make it through. If everybody chooses to try and skirt round it on the edge, the footprint of the trail is going to get bigger and bigger.

The number is times I've got half way through some mud and stopped dead and toppled trying to get out of my pedals is just comical.
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    hit it as fast as possible, that way if you dont make it the impact in the mud as you fly off of the bike should be even better :D
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    try to keep a straight line and shift your body weight accordingly to where you slide. But milky white has it spot on with skirting it. Thetford forest black has had a problem with this in certain sections
  • Dan67 wrote:
    Thetford forest black has had a problem with this in certain sections

I know what you mean there. Thetford is my local ride and the drainage is poor. The mud can be savage at times. You can see where people ride off the trail trying to find a dry line. Where's the fun in that?!
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    See, here comes the question. What do you guys think to tyre choices regarding boggs....thick tyres that dont sink, or thin ones to cut through it? I guess it all depends on how deep the mud is? I think you should tackle muddy bits with a higher gear, which is harder to push, meaning you get less wheel spin, and so more traction.
  • Parts of the course were so boggy did not matter what you did with the bike still had to push it in partsthrough the woods. tried to reduce tyre pressure to get more grip.
    but it was a good course well worth doin if you get the chance.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Keep your weight back so your front at least has a chance to cut through without bogging down.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    lower the gears, if in a long section of deep mud then lower the gears
  • Pull a slightly higher gear than you would normally for the gradient. Stay seated and pedal as smoothly as you can.

Keeping the power on in is the most important thing - precise line choice comes a distant second!

Also, the firmest gound is often in the centre of a puddle (where the mud is very watery) rather than around the edges.

At risk of starting a bunfight, use Panaracer Trailrakers :D

Have fun!
  • h i r 0
    h i r 0 Posts: 76
    hastings wrote:
    lower the gears, if in a long section of deep mud then lower the gears
    Pull a slightly higher gear than you would normally

Decisions, decisions ;)
    Also, the firmest gound is often in the centre of a puddle (where the mud is very watery) rather than around the edges.

I discovered this independently on Sunday when I switched to the watery bit to try and clear my Fire XC Pros. I've now ordered a pair of Trailrakers. :lol:
  • yeh, pick a higher gear, stand up, go through the middle and keep the pedaling at a constant speed if possible. if the going gets tough drop a gear. also, try to rotate the cranks rarther than slam one down, then the other(it makes sense when you try it). this reduces wheelspin, sp keeps your back clean and makes going through mud waaaaay easier! :D:D
  • bonk man
    bonk man Posts: 1,054
    Keep the front wheel light and enough weight over the back wheel to stop it spinning. Yeh and smooth pedalling is good. It helps to get into the habit of using upper body when riding the trails and not just relying on suspension to keep you out of trouble and help stay on track.
    If you hit sand the keeping the front wheel very light is essential as it sucks the front down alarmingly................ We have lanes round here that sometimes have heaps of sand on corners after heavy rain, you really dont want to plough into that stuff at 25 mph :?
    Club rides are for sheep