Elite Mens *spoiler*

13»

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    andyp wrote:
    Is the only shred of suspicion against Bettini his stance on DNA testing?
    It's not even that. He has signed the part of the UCI pledge that says he'll make his DNA available - his objection is to the compulsory taking of one year's salary.

Which could be a legitimate onjection for a rider who's test gets screwed up a la Diane Modahl.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Timoid. wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    It's not even that. He has signed the part of the UCI pledge that says he'll make his DNA available - his objection is to the compulsory taking of one year's salary.

Which could be a legitimate onjection for a rider who's test gets screwed up a la Diane Modahl.

Or a strategy for a rider who knows none of his blood is in a Spanish fridge but isn't prepared to risk getting caught up in a different investigation.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    LangerDan wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Or a strategy for a rider who knows none of his blood is in a Spanish fridge but isn't prepared to risk getting caught up in a different investigation.

?
    He said he will make his DNA available.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    There is an interview with him in this months Cycle Sport.

He covers this stuff and has a scathing attack on the UCI.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    LangerDan wrote:

?
    He said he will make his DNA available.
    Ah, but the UCI pledge clearly states that DNA is made available only to be compared with blood found in Puerto. So, as LD says, if Bettini knows none of his blood is in Spain then signing the pledge carries no risk.

God, I've turned into a doping anorak! :shock:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:
    andyp wrote:

?

The DNA part of the UCI charter is Puerto specific. The section regarding handing over your salary is unlimited in its scope - any drug, any investigation.
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    God, I've turned into a doping anorak! :shock:

Welcome to the brotherhood.

For me this stuff is like having to have a drug test to get a job. I object to it but I have nothing to fear. Some people wouldn't object to it. It's the hippies like me who confuse people.

Ditto I wouldn't hand over DNA to anyone.
  • LangerDan
    iainf72 wrote:
    There is an interview with him in this months Cycle Sport.

He covers this stuff and has a scathing attack on the UCI.

Perhaps he'll wear his "I support Fluffy Kittens" free wristband for the photoshoot :roll:
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Since the WCs, many other riders who have signed the whole thing have come out to say Bettini has good points which deserve to be listened to. That includes Stefan "I'm as clean as the top of my head" Schumacher. Maybe we should listen to them. I know I'd never sign a paper that could give away a year of my salary to an organization other than that which pays it to me in the first place. Especially if my lawyer told me they can't legally ask that of me in the first place.

Bettini was a pro in the 90s, so it's not a question of "has he ever doped?" Of course he has! He may still do it, also. I'll be on the front lines to condemn him if someone can prove something, but I totally agree with his stance on that piece of paper. I don't accept the validity of the "If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear" argument. For that same reason, I don't want my government listening in on my phone calls or reading my emails.
  • LangerDan
    drenkrom wrote:
    Bettini was a pro in the 90s, so it's not a question of "has he ever doped?" Of course he has! He may still do it, also. I'll be on the front lines to condemn him if someone can prove something, but I totally agree with his stance on that piece of paper. I don't accept the validity of the "If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear" argument. For that same reason, I don't want my government listening in on my phone calls or reading my emails.

I believe he should either sign the whole thing or none of it. If it is such an affront to his belief in justice and fair play, he should rip the whole thing up and post back to McQuaid (without a stamp!). Cherry picking it the way he did strikes me at the very least as someone who is more concerned about PR than his principles and , at worst, the action of someone who is at the peak of his earning potential and has something to hide.

Perhaps the interview in CycleSport will clear matters up. Or not.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    LangerDan wrote:
    <thud>

I was sagely nodding in agreement with what you had written when I got to this line and fell off my chair in shock. Can you imagine a Cycle Sport interviewee ever grilling someone in true Paxman/Humphreys style on drugs? :shock:
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:

Here's a few bits.

He says he felt let down as nobody supported him as he tried to refuse widespread use of DNA testing "I don't want to stand up and defend anybody anymore...."

"Doping is a major problem and the riders are responsible for the mess. Hopefully we'll get a complete change in mentality but it'll take time"

"I think the main culprit is the UCI because of its long siliences, it's useless and wrong initiatives. It is ultimately responsible for the sport but seems more interested in the power and money via the ProTour. I think Pat McQuaid should resign"

"I signed a letter that agree's in principal with the UCI's document...."
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    <thud>

I was sagely nodding in agreement with what you had written when I got to this line and fell off my chair in shock. Can you imagine a Cycle Sport interviewee ever grilling someone in true Paxman/Humphreys style on drugs? :shock:

My bad boys. They reprinted info from TuttoBici.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Cycle Sport is Hello! magazine. All those "At home with Danilo", "Kicking back with Tom" and "Sharing a pint with Andrei" articles are about as powerful as a PR job in Hello.

Pro Cycling is the same but willing to a bit tougher at times, check the interview with Simoni and Ricco.
  • LangerDan
    andyp wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:
    <thud>

Given the current stream of post-Grand Depart dross they are publishing, what would actually happen is that two CS staffers, wearing cardboard Paxman and Humphries masks, would gently quiz Bettini while feeding him jellied eels and dressing him up as a Pearly King.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Ratkilla wrote:
    Well done Paolo. Great ride. :D

The podium was class. McQuaids' face was a picture. Worth it just for that.
    I thought the Porter/Yates commentry was dire. Soon as Eurosport came back on I switched.

I liked this Italian footage of the teams tent in the pits area and the tiffosi – do any Italian fans ever wring their hands over the doping issue I wonder?

http://tinyurl.com/2vrg7e
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:
    Given the current stream of post-Grand Depart dross they are publishing, what would actually happen is that two CS staffers, wearing cardboard Paxman and Humphries masks, would gently quiz Bettini while feeding him jellied eels and dressing him up as a Pearly King.

ROFL!

9/10

I must be careful - Last time I wrote to CS / CW to inform them they were completely wrong on one of the answers to a readers question I fell off my bike that very same day. They've got friends in high places.