Downhill Fear

Dan Smernicki
Dan Smernicki Posts: 6
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
Hello,
I came a cropper a couple of months back (entirely my own fault - a combination of steep gradient, greasy roads and daft braking) and I've found I've developed a morbid fear of riding down hills (Don't laugh).
Short of never riding down another serious incline ever again (the path to ruin, some very dull riding, and the top of Alpe d'Huez), what can I do to sort myself out? And has anyone else ever had this? I suffer from Vertigo and it's a similar feeling - the sensation that my bike is drifting out from underneath me when I know it's not.
All suggestions gratefully received,
Cheers,
Dan

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Practice - find some quiet descents that may be short and build confidence that way. It's natural for this fear to kick in - I back off these days a little as....... 1. I don't want to smash my bike, 2. I have work to go to..... Getting hurt doesn't really come that high up !
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Do you use your drops? I ask because I have 3 mates who pretty much refuse to use theirs regardless of the steepness of the incline. Watching them descend steep hills, gripping those brake hoods with white knuckles, is just painful.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • Hello,
    I came a cropper a couple of months back (entirely my own fault - a combination of steep gradient, greasy roads and daft braking) and I've found I've developed a morbid fear of riding down hills (Don't laugh).
    Short of never riding down another serious incline ever again (the path to ruin, some very dull riding, and the top of Alpe d'Huez), what can I do to sort myself out? And has anyone else ever had this? I suffer from Vertigo and it's a similar feeling - the sensation that my bike is drifting out from underneath me when I know it's not.
    All suggestions gratefully received,
    Cheers,
    Dan

You're lucky...I wish mine had been my own fault as I could say 'don't make that mistake again and take it easy on greasy descents and I''ll be fine'.... my morbid fear of descending came from my steel fork suddenly parting company with the steerer. And although it only happened at 12mph up a country lane the vivid imagination of what would have happened either a couple of miles earlier or later when I would have been flying down hills meant my top speed since it happened 7 years ago is about 29mph, down from my best ever of 52mph years before. My added problem is that it affects my speed on the flat too. At it's worst about four years ago on a bumpy but shallow decent of half a mile or so I got off and walked it. I'm better now though....I tackle it at an exhilerating 15mph
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Dan
    A lot of excellent advice proffered. Descending is about confidence primarily and technique, fortunately both can be easily improved by practice. Descending has never been my strong point but I made a conscious effort this year to improve as I was heading to the edge of the Pyrenees this year and wanted to do them some justice.

I began on a hilly club run and simply tried to follow other riders, watch their lines, body positions and their speeds...If I could not keep-up it was not because of any technical limitation, just my own mentality, that hill could be ridden at that speed, I just had to build-up my confidence gradually. A particular steep twisty down-hill had me feathering the brakes all the way down...so I made a loop to do it over and over again....each time a bit faster until no brakes at all and I hurtled down at a splendid 42 mph with a big grin.
    So far so good, but my first Pyrenees descent had me scarily hauling on the anchors again until I again built confidence to let the bike run and trust the brakes!!!!

I think trusting the bike's capabilities and letting it run is a big part and the other lesson is about looking down the road to the next bend and not just ahead of the front of the wheel and the bend you're in.
    Having practiced descending from the beginning of the season, Mt.Ventoux last month became an average 40 mph blast and some of the most exciting 22 minutes I've ever experienced.

Keep practicing, the fear will go and the speed will increase.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It helps to know the descent, then you know when you need to brake, and when you don't need to. I'm always a bit nervous when I'm coming down a hill I don't know, so I'm a bit heavier on the brakes than I need to me.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Find a well surfaced hill, with a shallowish downhill.

It being well surfaced (non gravelly!!!!!!) I find makes a bigger difference to my confidence than steepness (unless like 1 in 3 or something) or how straight the road is.

Then go up and down that hill a whole number of times.

Call it hill training.

Then practice taking the decent.
    First 2 times just take it easy, sit up, brake just before any corners, take it slow
    Second 2 times, brake less
    3rd 2 times, get into a more aerodynamic position
    4th 2 times- Try going on the drops and minimising braking.

Once you can do this on 1 hill you'll be surprised how your confident goes up on other hills as you see similarities.

After a while you can have a go at resting your hands on the top of your handlebars, place your chin on top of them, and get your bum down on the top tube with your knees wrapped around the forks.

Can't really describe it but it's hellishly fast :D
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson