Avid juicy pads

hamboman
hamboman Posts: 512
edited September 2007 in MTB general
This is the first time they've needed to change them. Anyone got any ideas on which brand? Do Avid/SRAM make their own? Can you get different durability compounds?

thanks a bunch

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes they do there own and iirc two compounds. ebc and others also make them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Yeah, Avid make their own. Sintered which have good initial bite and survive better when the going gets, well British. Organic which have more stopping power but can die very quickly if it gets muddy/gritty. Killed a set of rears in less than a day in Morzine this summer.

EBC make 3 or 4 compounds I think. Ranging from low friction / long lasting jobs all the way to super high friction "race only" pads.

Worth noting that if you've tried a little too hard to get your money's worth out of them and worn them to the point where the spring is knackered, the Avid ones come with replacement springs and the EBC one's don't.

For gerneral MTB action I'd recomended the Avid Sintered ones given the season.
  • thanks guys.

Any you can just change them over with your fingers right? You don't need any tools?
  • Yep, no tools needed - they are remarkably easy to install. :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    fibrax semi metallic are reputed to be good, plus i got goodridge pads which are also good
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver