Freehub body damage.

scotttomo
scotttomo Posts: 531
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok so i took my cassette off today to give it a bit of a scrub and noticed my freehub body on my hope xc hub has quite a few notches in it, like the cassette has been trying to rotate around it.
The cassette i'm using is XT. But i noticed when i put it back on there is quite a bit of play between the free hub and cassette that i've not noticed before. Is this play normal or is it this that is causing the problem?
Any views or suggestions greatly appreciated coz if my cassette starts spinnin round it like a catherine wheel when i'm out on a trail, i dread to think what injurys i'm gonna pick up :shock:
Cheers in advance for any replies,
Scott.
"If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it can happen. not really an issue with an XT cassette as most of the cogs are on a carrier.

there has to be some "play" or you would never get it on.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers Nick. I take it theres nothing to be worried about then? Does this tend to happen more on XTR cassettes where the cogs are all seperate?
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!