Handlebar grips keep moving themselves ;).

LaurenceGough
LaurenceGough Posts: 218
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
My handlebar grips on my Mongoose Tyax Elite keep moving themselves outwards while riding It gets annoying having to re-postion them 3 times a day only to find that they keep doing it again. Today I even pushed them right against the shifters/brakes and they still are doing it.

Some kind of glue? Hairspray will that help it actually stick also? It's a good fit just a little forgiving over time. I have a few kinds of tape but would like to keep that as a last resort.

Thanks guys. I would rather not spend money on my new bike I know there are all kinds of things for this...
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    hair spray, paint ......

but if it is new i would ask the shop to sort it for you as they should not be moving.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Well I brought it online from Wiggle. To much hassle sending it back! So would hairspray help it stick? I just thought maybe it was only for putting it on.

And paint? No thanks ;).
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
    Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Hairspray is the daddy for grips! 8)
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    Puncture repair glue, or better still bite the bullet and get some lock on's, i got these and i think they are spot on, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GT-Lock-On-Grips- ... dZViewItem
    Lock on's are normally around the £15.00 mark so i consider these a bargain. :D
  • forget that, putting your life in the hands of lock ons no danger. i, like a fare few in aberdoom use bmx grips as they are for 22.2 bars. so the grips are stretching to get on the 25.4 mtb bars. also use clear laquer and you will then have a water proof barrier which will grip you bars tighter then the tax man to you walllet
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    russ0228 wrote:
    forget that, putting your life in the hands of lock ons no danger. i, like a fare few in aberdoom use bmx grips as they are for 22.2 bars. so the grips are stretching to get on the 25.4 mtb bars. also use clear laquer and you will then have a water proof barrier which will grip you bars tighter then the tax man to you walllet

Errr All MTB and BMX bars are 22.2mm diameter at the grips.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Before hairspraying/glueing/etc make sure the bars and grips are dry and clean. Loreal is best - your grips are worth it.
  • fair enough. either way bmx grips are a tighter fit then your mtb grip. so wiith clear lacquer they will form a great barrier against twisting and there are a lot of wider grips than your average mtb grip.
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • I always use good old GT85. Once it dries the grips don't budge, and it saves any embarrassment of buying hair spray!
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...