Tubeless tyre conversion

robinta
robinta Posts: 211
edited October 2007 in MTB general
Have recently wondered about converting to a tubeless, latex based system. Hadn`t considered it before as I`m a tyre fettler !

Might be interested though if I can keep the same tyres on for 6 months. Anyone converted their wheels

(Ps they`re Mavic XM719`s with Scwalber Nobby Nics or possibly Panaracer Trailrakers)

Ta,

Robin

Comments

• Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • I use Stan's No-Tubes on my Freeride bike - Sun Singletrack rims, Syncros Kevlar BHT 26" x 2.5" tires

tire inflates straight away with a track pump, using soapy water to settle the tire onto the rim, deseat a small portion of tire, 2 cups of Stan's sealent and reinflate, you get a little leakage as it seats, and sometime small dots appearing in the sidewall where the sealent is making the tire airtight

grab the wheel, shake it, rotate it to spread the sealent, most important get the wheels on the bike and go ride straight away to really help the sealent spread out

since then, no hassle, no leakage, no punctures and a softer, more grippy feeling ride
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • I'm really chuffed with mine, I used Stans No Tubes in my High Roller 2.35s. I'm using Mavic EX721 rims and when I ordered I thought the 'freeride' kit for 28mm rims would be the right one but it turns out I had the wrong size! I should have got the XC lite kit but managed to bodge it on with a little trimming around the valve hole part of the rim strip with a pair of scissors (!).
    Its a bit of a faff to get the tyre to seat with a full on DH tyre but they seem to just suddenly seat just as you're thinking of chucking it all in the bin.
    So, yeah I would recommend it for both the riding benifits and the character building process of installation!
  • iggs
    iggs Posts: 89
    I'm pleased with my tubeless set up now

here's a write up of all the info I found and what I did

http://iggs.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!54 ... !121.entry