Etape 2008

dvmurray
dvmurray Posts: 13
edited September 2007 in Pro race
Hi

Me and a couple of friends are contemplating entering the 2008 Etape. From what limited research I have done so far it seems I can only book a place through an organised tour operator. Does anyone know if it's possible to register for the Etape only? I'm pretty sure I found somewhere last year that offered registation only.

Cheers
Vernon

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    I tried, and failed, to get an entry only option for this year's Etape. From the research I did no UK approved company will offer a simple entry only option. The cheapest way of getting an was with Sporting Tours but I had to commit to a 3 day training weekend in the Yorkshire Dales to do so. Cost was £250. I decided this didn't offer value for money.

It's ridiculous really as I've ridden dozens of continental sportifs so I'm not a high risk competitor in an event like the Etape, i.e. I've a very good chance of completing the course. I'd like to do it one day but should have done so back in the late 1990s when it was easy to get in. I think now it's become too big for it's own good.

If you don't get in I'd recommend a number of other similar events in France and Italy. They offer as much of a physical challenge and less of a financial one.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    You need to go through an offiical UK Tour operator. These are listed on the etape website. Some do do registration only - or did last year. I went registration only with Wheel2Wheel.

As for the compulsory training camps - I cynically feel that this is a money raising excersize not a test of riding ability. They have a limited amount of 'slots' and make little money off registration only places. They are tour operators after all and want/need to sell 'tours'.
    Rich
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    If you have any friends or relatives living in France, you may still be able to apply as if you were a French resident by sending off the application in January's Velo magazine...................unless they've closed that little loophole now.
  • Thanks for the advice. Hopefully wheel2wheel or the other tour operators will offer registration only places. Do you think the route will be in the Alps?
  • Radsman
    Radsman Posts: 122
    It has to be in the Alps as the Tour mountain stages start in the Pyrenes next year or should at least (unless they do something totally different this year)
  • I have heard that Wheel2Wheel have now been brought out by Sporting Tours. It will be interesting to see what difference (if any) this will make to the numbers/price/packages available next year.
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    Peak Times wrote:
    I have heard that Wheel2Wheel have now been brought out by Sporting Tours. It will be interesting to see what difference (if any) this will make to the numbers/price/packages available next year.

Site is closed anyway http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/