I almost drowned of the way in......

woodford2barbican
woodford2barbican Posts: 1,505
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
What a day to foget to wear my glasses - coming through Hackney the rain was hurting my eyes.

My shoes are now under my desk full of newspaper -hopefully drying out for the journey home.

I might even get a tail wind for that journey.

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Nice and wet oop norf aswell...

I realised this morning that my overshoes are not quite as waterproof as I thought they were.... Thank god the heating is on in the office......
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    my commute in this morning told me a few things:
    1. My anorak isnt actually waterproof
    2. I need overshoes as now ive gotta cycle home in wet shoes
    3. Always fit your race blades even if its already pissing it down as going through a puddle soaks your shoes from the bottom
    4. Purchase snorkel for days like today
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I tip my hat to you. No way with that wind and rain would you have caught me out on the bike this morning.
  • although i dont commute to work I was going to go out this morning on my 15mile loop,took one look and thought "nah !!! lets doss on the computer and see what i can buy on ebay" mind you it is getting a bit chilly so think one will invest in some warmer stuff :D

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    I tip my hat to you. No way with that wind and rain would you have caught me out on the bike this morning.
    tip all you want, but unfortunately i havent got any other way of getting to work! Unless i plan for it the night before as it takes about 3x as long to come in by pubic transport
  • Definitely the roughest ride in so far for me (start of 2nd week). I also discovered that my waterproof jacket was falsely advertised!

That was some headwind for me this morning, put an extra 5 minutes on my average journey time. I'll guarantee that the wind will do a full 180 degree turn by the time I ride home tonight though!
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    Just caught the tail end of the storm at 5.15am as it went through Devon.

Branches and leaves covered the lanes, my 1 watt luxeon struggled to pick out the debree.

Made it in wet and windswept though!!

Stu
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Wimp! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The feeling of self righteous smugness at work increases on a morning like today as everyone says things like "I'll bet you never cycled today"
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Today was the start of my second week on my new fixie, and my first wet ride on it. We'd had really heavy rain here in Coventry, but it eased off for my ride in so it wasn't too bad. Glad I went for full mudguards on the fixie now!
  • It was a lovely morning, yes a lttle wet but not the end of the world.

Most of the traffic was stationary and there were few numpty motorbikes and cyclists to get in the way.

Lovely, roll on winter
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • whoops! My brakes don't work in the wet anymore - I swear they did last time it rained!
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Woke up 1/2 an hour later than normal (damn snooze button) made the cycle the second choice form of transport. Ten minutes after I would have set off, the heavens opened.

Felt nice in the cage this a.m.

Think a few more were on the road tho'. With various roadworks etc it actually took me 3 mins longer to do the 15 miles by car!
  • helz
    helz Posts: 406
    I found the ride in really exhilarating but everything is soaked and there's no way it'll all be dry in time for the ride home tonight!
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • Just about to get ready to set off on my commute. The sun is shining, the sky is blue, it is a little windy, but I am on the seafront. I hope it holds out until I get to work.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    I found that putting wet gear somewhere warmer doesn't necessarily get it dry.

As most of our cycle clothing is 'wicking' etc, the best thing I found was to secretly put a desk fan under my desk and keep air moving past (doesn't need to be fast).

Last friday I manged to get all my gear dry, before heading home, and we only work a 1/2 day fridays
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    yeah, really damp this morning but I am so pleased with my new jacket

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx? ... &N=Montane Featherlite Velo Mens Jacket

that it was almost a pleasure. It's not a true waterproof but its incredibly breathable - stayed drier under it than I would have done under gore-tex (I sweat..). Packs into a tiny little stuff-sack.Good close fit. Under £40. What's not to like
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Astonishing how dark it went just before the worst of the downpour this morning. The surface water built up on the roads in no time - more than enough to hide cavernous potholes and greasy manhole covers!

Must have been a while since the last time I got caught in a storm like that - the helmet juice that ran into my eyes and mouth had a "vintage" taste to it :?
  • The feeling of self righteous smugness at work increases on a morning like today as everyone says things like "I'll bet you never cycled today"

I purposely brought my bike into my office today rather than leaving it in the rack outside. Everyone has said to me this morning "where's the bike today then eh??" - to which I reply "upstairs in the office, you girly car driving tart!"

Luvin' it!!!!
  • Okay, so today I found out that my jacket is merely 'windproof and shower resistant' rather than the waterproof I'd assumed it was :( Bugger. Hopefully my shirt will dry out in time for my cycle home!
  • Yup, to continue a theme - a lot of the Embankment was under surface water this morning, wind not too bad when I set off but the rain was tremendous.

Wet gear currently airing on a chair, no access to a fan or radiator :cry:

One tip: make sure that your overshoes are done up nice and tightly - from one who made the mistake.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    It was so wet I had to swim part of the way!!! Part of the dual carraige way I use had been turned into a lake - at its shallowest, the water was up to my hubs (700c wheels). Didn't realise cycling thru' deep water was so damn hard...

Here's a good tip, the back of CRT computer monitors make great clothes dryers. Each member of my department is drying an item of clothing for me - it brings us closer together...
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    Packed a spare pair of socks and shorts for the return journey.
    Got my shoes round the back of some networking equipment , benefitting from the breeze that generates.
    Didn't see many other cyclists this morning though
    Glad I did it , it's sunny now , few things worse than driving in then seeing the rain stop and the sun come out.
    Can't wait for the ride home

Snake
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Cheap pack-a-mac turned out to be waterproof, as did voluminous overtrousers

Leather shoes, though, not...have since dried them out on the floor lights in the office :lol:

At least there wasn't as much wind in London as there was in sunny Aylesbury, where I was nearly blown in the opposite direction

Inevitably, the f :evil: g sun came out just after I arrived, and the wind will have died by the time I get home so no tail wind...story of my life, no tailwinds... :(

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Started cramming everything in my new HAWG at midnight last night...Just about to fall asleep and realised there was no room for my towel, oh pants!...no probs I'll strap it on the outside...Easy....Woke up this morning, looked out of the window...no chance! As a glasses wearer, cycling in the rain isn't great fun, and the thought about my towel nailed the commuting coffin shut for today

So with a few muttered expletives, I unpacked, and did a bit of creative repacking, so now I have an old pair of shoes, a towel and my old bike lock in the office, ready for later on in the week.

Looking out of the window now, and the sunny scene that greats london this afternoon, I'm really quite gutted I couldn't ride in this morning.

Ah well always next time
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Mog Uk
    The big guy upstairs is clearly having a laugh today...

I got soaked this morning, arrived at the office and the sun came out!! Been blue sky for most of the day, so much so the gardeners have been round and cut all the grass, hedges.. It's now 30mins till home, the sun has gone in and it's started to bl00dy drizzle.... :x
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I almost bottled it when I saw the monsoon out of my window, it was pure rancid, I thought I would die if I went out in that. I showered and got ready to get the train, really pi$$ed off about having to queue to get a ticket etc... but as luck would have it the weather calmed and it was just raining to I got my cycle gear back on and went in

got soaked, and as said above, I need some overshoes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Massimo wrote:
    Here's a good tip, the back of CRT computer monitors make great clothes dryers. Each member of my department is drying an item of clothing for me - it brings us closer together...

My PS3 devkit is currently trying to dry out my socks, which are hanging in front of the exit fans at the back...
  • Mog Uk
    Massimo wrote:

My PS3 devkit is currently trying to dry out my socks, which are hanging in front of the exit fans at the back...

PS3 Devkit ! Which developer do you work for ??
  • Mog Uk wrote:

PS3 Devkit ! Which developer do you work for ??

Sony London Studio
  • Mog Uk
    Cool, I used to work for Warthog Games before they went bump a few years back, happy days.....