Hunting

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
okay, so ive been asked if i want to go hunting with some guys from work!!!

a bit out of the blue, but we somehow got on the conversation earlier today!!!

i dont know what to do!!! i used to love target shooting, i think its great fun, but ive never turned a gun on an animal!!! i dont think i could actually do it, and if i did it might haunt me forever!!!

anyone any experiences of hunting!!??
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    Do you eat meat?
  • steve23
    yes i do!

but its the fact of killing an animal yourself!!!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    But if you're happy to eat it then you should be okay with killing it in the first place.

It's an uneven contest after all, i.e. you have a gun whereas your prey just has it's wits!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    go and see what you think. it will make you mind up for you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Could you not go and deliberately miss, so you can have fun with your mates from work but you haven't killed anything.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • steve23
    schlepcycling that sounds like a good idea!!! but knowing my aim, i'll aim to miss and bloody hit something!!!
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    andyp wrote:
    But if you're happy to eat it then you should be okay with killing it in the first place.
    It's an uneven contest after all, i.e. you have a gun whereas your prey just has it's wits!

If you intend on eating what you shoot, it is a fairer contest than what the animals that have been produced/reared for food have when they get pushed into the Abattoir. (THats the stuff that you get in packaging on the shelf in tesco)

If you find a gun to be too technological for fair hunting consider making a few spears to take your food gathering method back to when Animal husbandry and crop farming were primitive and not capable of supporting a massive population as it does now.

If you want to go even more primitive try one one one wrestling with the creature, this probably had a very high death toll. Especially when it was no longer possible to feed the tribes with the smaller creatures around. Though attacks from the bigger creatures that humans were very unlikely to beat in a wrestling match probably also speed this up and thus up the food chain the human went.

In brief what I am saying is if humans hadn't developed hunting tools (which would double up as defensive tools) we probably wouldn't have been able to hold a decent position near the top of the food chain thus there could have been 6 billion Tigers instead of 6 billion humans living in houses.

I'm crap at clay pigeon only ever hit 3 out of around 60, assuming I am just as poor at spear throwing I would probably have found myself outcast from the tribe and left to starve assuming the sabre tooth hagglesnootches didn't get me first.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • what you supposed to be hunting?
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Steve,

i have been hunting a few times only rabbits or pigeons and it has always been a curiously dead experience. Absolutely no enjoyment from it but equally no emotional trauma.

When I used to shoot i got far more elation from shooting clays and competing with my mates for the best round. Thinking back to my CCF days shooting a good tight group was also a lot better.

Give it a try though, it a very different discipline to target shooting
  • It`s ok Steve they don`t shoot back :wink:

It`s a state of mind.
  • I used to shoot as well but found i didn't enjoy it. Now hunting on horse back thats a different thing.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Ride a Mountain bike and use only bows and arrows :D

Or why not just take a camera and "shoot" away.

george
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    When we were introduced to the new lady in the office next to me we had to come up with something nobody knew about us, for a fun getting to know you game. I said that I used to be a lifeguard, new lady said "I kill animals". Turns out she shoots wild boar, which is quite an acceptable thing to do over here.

I used to shoot a lot of clay pigeon, but always baulked at shooting anything alive.
  • i'll be going rabbit hunting in a farmers barn (so they are classed as pests)

anything i shoot i'll be trying to cook.
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • jsmithfym wrote:
    Now hunting on horse back thats a different thing.

if you're on a faster animal than yourself, shouldnt the fox (assumed prey) be allowed a faster animal than itself to ride on, such as a badger?
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • steve23
    thanks for the replies!

some interesting reading! i wouldnt mind a go at clay pigeon shooting, maybe i will suggest that!!!

its just the thought of killing something for "fun" that seems a little wierd! having said that, if i kept it and ate it, its only natural..............