Pedal Issue

GOONERUK
GOONERUK Posts: 18
edited September 2007 in MTB general
Hi All,
Newbie here....Just purchaced a new Specialized Hardrock Sport '07 with Hydraulic brakes.....was wondering about pedals, im not going to buy clip pedals but was going to just put straps on, can you still buy these? i have them on my old Hardrock, not sure if its teh done thing these days. Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you can still get them but why? they are dangerous.

flats or spd's
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GOONERUK
    nicklouse wrote:
    yes you can still get them but why? they are dangerous.

flats or spd's

why are they dangerous, i used them for years on my old bike, never had a problem
  • Takes more time to bail out if needs be
  • nicklouse
    ok so you are just riding tow paths?

i used to find them a real pain and dangerous when riding my old bikes. if you want the strapped in feel go SPD and you will wonder why you were asking about straps.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • God, I used to have straps - had so many stacks it was unreal :o

I would just get a good set of grippy flats tbh
  • Clips and straps... that takes me back.

If you are used to clips and straps, you should definitely switch to clipless. Once you're used to the different exit action you'll find it's both easier and quicker to get out.

There's a reason why clipless took over in mountain biking even faster than it did on the road.
    John Stevenson
  • Do it!!! get clipless pedals. They'll improvce your riding too. Toe clips are just asking for trouble.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Why are toe-clips so dangerous?

I've always used toe-clips without straps, so just to use them to help locate my feet in the correct position on the pedals.

I'm currently using these - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ss%20Clips

I must admit I am seriously considering the spd option, just need to go try on some shoes!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Toe clips and straps if tightened (to give the power benefits) are dangerous because you need to loosen them to allow a bail-out (a hard rearward yank may or may not get you out). If on the other hand you ride with them loose they serve little purpose other than the toe-clip part helping you locate your foot, but you get no power benefit. Also, they need flipping when you get started which can be very difficult on a steep muddy/rocky slope, or even at the traffic lights. If you don't flip them successfully then you pedal away with the clips scraping the ground.

You can get stiffer plastic toeclips designed for use without straps, but your foot just slops around loose and I wouldn't bother with them.

Double-sided SPD's properly tensioed (so you can unclip as easily as you want) are vastly superior and far safer IMHO.
  • GOONERUK
    At the moment ive spent enough on the new bike so maybe ill wait til next month and invest in some new shoes and quick release pedals, can anyone recomend decent pedals and shoes, dont really want to spend more the £100
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Shimano M520 pedals and the Specialized BG Sport shoes are a proven, and cheap, combo.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • ddoogie wrote:
    Shimano M520 pedals and the Specialized BG Sport shoes are a proven, and cheap, combo.

Ok, ive invested already, just won on ebay Scott SPD shoes(used but like new) and a brand new set of Shimano SPD Pedals for £50 inc postage, bargain. Hope I like them
  • nicklouse
    hope they fit!
  • nicklouse wrote:
    hope they fit!

The Shoes???Yes hope so, they are my size but theres nothing like trying shoes on in a shop....ill take the gamble
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    Flats or SPDs are miles better than flats with straps.

Apart from the annoying flip-flip-bollox, it's harder to get out of straps quick and they'd be a death trap offroad.

You can get fully setup with a reasonable pair of SPDs and shoes for around £80 or less for Shimano SPDs with Shimano shoes
    Or just get some 5.10 shoes and run flats with long pins.
    Dave S