How to corner faster?

Stuck on a Giant
Stuck on a Giant Posts: 256
edited August 2007 in XC and Enduro
Did SITS last weekend, and found the front wheel slipping out quite a bit. I lowered the tyre pressure which helped, but I can't help thinking that it must be possible to corner faster than I manage - I'd catch up with riders on the fireroads, and then lose them again in the singletrack.

Should I move my weight forwards? will this push the wheel out more, or help it to grip?

Any technique tips gratefully received.

Comments

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Drop your outside foot and put your weight on it. Lean into the corner with your weight pushed forward onto the forks. Do all the braking before the turn and keep off them when you are in the turn.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • get some good tyres with big sidewalls for extra grip. if you have confidence in your tyres not slipping around, then youll push harder. you shouldnt really have to lower the psi. Maxxis high rollers would be good.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Which bits did you struggle with at SITS ?
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • WhatMTB mag did this recently. They say the 'correct' way to corner is actually the opposite of what you would think (well at least what I would have thought). You should try to keep your body as upright as possible with all your weight on the outside foot, whilst leaning the bike into the corner.

If you lean your body too much then your just putting more lateral force on the tyres making them more likely to slip.
  • if you can put up with buying mbuk, then this months free dvd shows you in detail how to corner faster along with a few other tips, i found it quite helpful.