Indian Adventure

Gloopmaster
Gloopmaster Posts: 3
edited August 2007 in MTB rides
Anybody ever ridden in India or Nepal ? Is it possible? Thinking of going this winter time and fancy some riding while I am there. Ideas please.

Comments

• brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    Mountain bike rider had an article on Nepal this month. email/ link at the end was dtd@wlink.com.np for more info
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • Rode out in Nepal from Pokhara with a tour guide who was a former Commencal rider super riding and you could organise bike rental and guides there. I have had some excellent reports about mountain biking in South India they hooked up with mountain bike kerala www.mountainbikekerala.com.
  • I've ridden in the Ladakh and Spiti area with Cass and Cara of www.out-there-biking.com, and i've done some riding by myself around Kathmandu.

North India is awesome - truly amazing scenery and riding, but the altitude makes things very physically tough and you are a long way from home if you bust something. But its probably too cold in winter - the roads to Leh are closed October/November. There might be good trails at lower altitude in winter, but it would be in areas with a much higher population.

Nepal is a lot easier - no altitude issues, and lots of little guesthouses (dirt cheap too). The climate should be about right in the winter. But the population density is a lot higher - a lot of 'trails' are farm tracks and so locals won't necessarily appreciate having mountain bikers fly past them as they go about their business. There are a number of mountain bike tour operators run by enthusiastic locals based in Kathmandu, it would be worth checking them out. www.mtbnepal.com is one of them i think.

Most amazing of all, if you wanted to blaze some trails would be Tibet. The Oomalongma National Park has some very interesting looking trails, i only managed to have a quick look at some of them when i was cycling past. But it would be too cold by December.

I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they\'ve always worked for me.\' Hunter S. Thompson
  • Cheers people.

Will check out the web sites and have a see what they have to offer.