Dalby Forest.....amazing

darren_shaw56
darren_shaw56 Posts: 42
edited September 2007 in MTB rides
Dalby Forest has to be the best there is.........the route is amazing, very well orgnaised, very well sign posted. We had the weather on our side at the weekend which made the ride amazing. We travelled 2 1/2 hours and its very much worth it.

I have put a general site information on our website....www.mtbmudpackers.co.uk

shortly we will be putting on the photos from the weekend.

Cheers
Darren

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I have to agree Dalby is one of the best UK trail centres, I've seen it progress for the last 4 years & it was good to start with, now it's superb.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Andy_B wrote:
    I have to agree Dalby is one of the best UK trail centres, I've seen it progress for the last 4 years & it was good to start with, now it's superb.

This was my first trip and wont be my last..............i have a hard tail and you could say my behind was killing me. So might have to test a full suss around the course.
  • micky p
    micky p Posts: 6
    yeah beeen 2 weeks on the trot now. Well worth the 2 and 1/2 hour trip.

Think i might try Glentress (Scotland) next as that is supposed to be even better. :shock:
  • micky p wrote:
    yeah beeen 2 weeks on the trot now. Well worth the 2 and 1/2 hour trip.

Think i might try Glentress (Scotland) next as that is supposed to be even better. :shock:

Morning, 6 of the group are going up to Glentress in Septemeber for a weekend, apparantly its another fantastic ride. We had a ride last night and was talking about Grizedale Forest, for us it takes 2 hours to get there and its only a 10 mile route, the trip to Dalby is only 30 mins more and 23 miles and a very good route, wish i could go there every weekend! But you have to admit its got to be the best MTB route...

Enjoy Scotland

Darren
  • L60N
    L60N Posts: 223
    Me and a friend are heading back to Dalby this weekend. Look out for a guy with "All the gear and no idea" :lol:
  • L60N wrote:
    Me and a friend are heading back to Dalby this weekend. Look out for a guy with "All the gear and no idea" :lol:

Thought that was me....ha ha ha ha ha

Have a good one
  • L60N

Hiya, How do you find your Trek??

I have a GT hard tail and thinking of changing..........would you recommned your Trek?
  • L60N
    L60N Posts: 223
    I would definatley recommend it. I have had no problems with it at all, been through the red route twice, and only needed to nip the stem up. Apart from that its running Great..

Only thing is im Sh*t scared of damaging it. Hopefully i'll come off it this weekend then i'll forget about the newness and ride it like I used to Ride my old bike :lol::lol:
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    sorry for jumping in on your thread, i got myself a trek top fuel 8 at the back end off last year what a bike :D would recomend them as well (i've gone past the not wanting to bin it part now)
  • L60N wrote:
    I would definatley recommend it. I have had no problems with it at all, been through the red route twice, and only needed to nip the stem up. Apart from that its running Great..

Only thing is im Sh*t scared of damaging it. Hopefully i'll come off it this weekend then i'll forget about the newness and ride it like I used to Ride my old bike :lol::lol:

Well thats for....go for it, i spent 3 days fine tuning my bike after doing the red route... and was sh&t scared wether it was going to perfom..........it did and roll on the next time i go........but def will look into the Trek range of bikes. Des the editor of our site has got one and not had any bother with it.

When we was there at the weekend they was a diversion.......not far from the end....
  • birchy wrote:
    sorry for jumping in on your thread, i got myself a trek top fuel 8 at the back end off last year what a bike :D would recomend them as well (i've gone past the not wanting to bin it part now)

Jump in all you like...please more advice the better. I will have a look at the Trek top fuel 8 so thansk for that.

Do you get out and give it some hammer??? Ever been to Dalby?
  • birchy
    8) yea when i dont go on the moors with some mates i'm usually up at dalby on a sunday blasting round the red route, as for the bike its not big on travel (90mm rear & 100mm front) i used to always ride a hardtail so i find this more than enough for my style riding and terrain around the area :)
  • birchy wrote:
    8) yea when i dont go on the moors with some mates i'm usually up at dalby on a sunday blasting round the red route, as for the bike its not big on travel (90mm rear & 100mm front) i used to always ride a hardtail so i find this more than enough for my style riding and terrain around the area :)

All i can say is you lucky bugger having Dalby on your door step. But sounds like you may do similar riding to me so i think the Trek will be a good buy. Thanks for that and if you're up at Dalby this weekend have a good one.

Darren
  • birchy
    i suppose i am, the wolds to one side howardian hills to the other and dalby and the moors to the other :D . i just looked on your web site maybe one day you lot may like to ride up on the moors sometime their are some good loops to do
  • birchy wrote:
    i suppose i am, the wolds to one side howardian hills to the other and dalby and the moors to the other :D . i just looked on your web site maybe one day you lot may like to ride up on the moors sometime their are some good loops to do

Sounds like a good idea, let me know a bit more about them and i will pass the mesaage on and see what we can do

have a good weekend
  • birchy
    we usually do about 25 miles plus. if you have a look on www.mtb-routes.co.uk that will give you an idea of what itslike but we are always finding or hearing about more tracks , have a good one too
  • birchy wrote:
    we usually do about 25 miles plus. if you have a look on www.mtb-routes.co.uk that will give you an idea of what itslike but we are always finding or hearing about more tracks , have a good one too

Cheers, will have a look and we could add it to our site for everyone.
  • hiya
    hope you don't mind me diving onto your trail thread, but am having a few days away this summer and wondered what dalby is like compared to afan, down in south wales, where i had a brill time last weekend. so was wanting to know if anyone's been to both and can give me a heads up
    cheers
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    Andy_B wrote:

This was my first trip and wont be my last..............i have a hard tail and you could say my behind was killing me. So might have to test a full suss around the course.

Does that mean I need a medal for doing it (admittedly the green from Dixons Hollow) on a '97 rigid Scott Timber?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    1st time I went to Dalby (4 years ago) it was on a '97/'98 rigid Scott peak!

flat bars,21spd & 'v's lol!
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • hiya
    hope you don't mind me diving onto your trail thread, but am having a few days away this summer and wondered what dalby is like compared to afan, down in south wales, where i had a brill time last weekend. so was wanting to know if anyone's been to both and can give me a heads up
    cheers

Hiya,

Dalby is a amazing area. I know last year a few of us had a weekend over there and fully enjoyed it. I personally went for the first time the other weekend and i was amazed how good the route it. It the first one i have done away from home. I know 4 of the lads are going to wales this weekend.

But i full recoomend Dalby............

What is afan like and where about is it????
  • HJ1976 wrote:
    Andy_B wrote:

Does that mean I need a medal for doing it (admittedly the green from Dixons Hollow) on a '97 rigid Scott Timber?

Yes i think you do...............and i bet you ached the day after ha ha ha ha :lol:
  • Andy_B wrote:
    1st time I went to Dalby (4 years ago) it was on a '97/'98 rigid Scott peak!

flat bars,21spd & 'v's lol!

I bet your ride around the forest is a lot better now???...........
  • RSMarco
    RSMarco Posts: 95
    Thinking of goint to Dalby tomorrow and would like to know if this route is ok on a Malt 4.

Any advice you could offer..?

Normally do trails like Llandegla, Marin etc..!

Much appreciated.

Marco
  • miket-62
    miket-62 Posts: 227
    I go to Dalby quite regulally (once a month) and love it!
    My only moan is that the routes can be just a little too "prescriptive". Go here now go there etc etc.
    I go up NY Moors all the time with a bunch of mates and we never get bored as we never know which route we are gonna take. Even mid-route one of us will say "come on lets go this way" and all of a sudden we are riding a tottally different route planned :D
    I would love to see variation-routes at Dalby. Either go this way OR that way. Still ending up at the same place. (Visitor centre)
    Just my little gripe.
    Any chance of it happening?
  • miket-62 wrote:
    I go to Dalby quite regulally (once a month) and love it!
    My only moan is that the routes can be just a little too "prescriptive". Go here now go there etc etc.
    I go up NY Moors all the time with a bunch of mates and we never get bored as we never know which route we are gonna take. Even mid-route one of us will say "come on lets go this way" and all of a sudden we are riding a tottally different route planned :D
    I would love to see variation-routes at Dalby. Either go this way OR that way. Still ending up at the same place. (Visitor centre)
    Just my little gripe.
    Any chance of it happening?

I know what you mean..........but its good in a way to know where are going....if i was leading around a route we wouldnt end up where we set off from....far from it.

so which routes do you take?

i think this weekend the lads are doing a route around Inglebrough, have you ever done it?
  • miket-62
    miket-62 Posts: 227
    Hiya
    We normally tend to just start off at Pinchenthorpe visitor centre then take it from there. Doing about 20/25 miles up and around Guisborough froest and moors.
    Drop me a line if you wanna join in some Sunday :D
  • miket-62 wrote:
    Hiya
    We normally tend to just start off at Pinchenthorpe visitor centre then take it from there. Doing about 20/25 miles up and around Guisborough froest and moors.
    Drop me a line if you wanna join in some Sunday :D

I have been up there years ago as i worked for ICI Wilton at the time, so i will pass the information on and i will drop you a line...cheers
  • teacherman
    teacherman Posts: 454
    Marco - yeah you'll be fine on a Malt 4 - 100mm up front is all you need for the red route. There are sections where you'll start wishing you had full suss - especially where the red and black routes join you'll see what i mean on the rooty section through the pine trees - if you can clean that on a hardtail I think youre doin' well.

Did the route on Monday and it is soooo much fun. Had a couple of intersting offs but that's 'cos im crap not 'cos its over technical.

have fun 8)
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    This might make me sound stupid but where is Dalby? Obviously Yorkshire, but where exactly? Where is the visitors centre to park up and star etct? :oops: