Side pull brakes

bianco
bianco Posts: 78
edited August 2007 in Road general
Just been bought a 1987 Peugeot 10 speed in MINT condition, anyway, I've ripped off all the gears, cranks etc etc so if anyone want a 52 42 surly chainset its their, just paypal me the delivery.

Anyway, I've got the side pull brakes and they seem, well, "stiff".

My cheapo decathlon centre pulls on my modern road bike feel "free"

I've taken apart the side pulls, greased (only in correct places) but it still feels really stiff in comparison.

Is this normal because I don't like it, or is there something that can be done to resolve this situation.

Thanks in advance everybody.

PS, Sprare rear derailer(spelling?) in good condition, also 282 chrome wheels in reasonable condition available to first person to pick them up.

PM Me for any requests

Comments

• one of the most overlooked parts of rebuilding old sidepulls is the springs, get a small wire brush of the type that you clean suede shoes with and brush the springs all over pay special attention to the ends of the spring where they contact/slide at the back of the caliper arms on the alloy stops, then polish the spring ends where they contact and all mating/sliding surfaces on the brakes including the pivot bolts then apply a little oil to all these surfaces...this WILL work! I have got 50 year old pitted and rusty GB's sidepulls working well like this...just remember to renew the pads and don't expect too much as they will never be brilliant compared to new dual pivots, you could upgrade with Weinmann centrepulls which are great when set up correctly.
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    bianco

is the chainset also from 1987?!

if its fresher i'm interested!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bianco
    bianco Posts: 78
    Don't know exact year but its an older looking square taper chainset with non removeable chainrings.

PM me if still interested
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    nah i'm good...was hoping it might be realitivly new and thus a bit of a steal

Good Luck!!!

Dave
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver