Steer Tube Lengths ?

mattyboy199
mattyboy199 Posts: 627
edited August 2007 in MTB general
Is there any way around a steerer tube that to short for you frame ? The tube in pressed into the crown.
Show me your green bits i might buy them !

Comments

• TomR
    TomR Posts: 50
    I had this problem on my old trials bike, ran the steerer halfway up the stem and it faired ok.

you can get low stack headsets that might gain you a few extra milimetres, lower stack height stems (most shops seem to give you this info these days). how far off are you from the top?

Also what forks are they? Some sus fork companies do replacement steerers (or always used to, back in the day of marzocchi bolt in steerers).
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    It depends how short it is!
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • mattyboy199
    mattyboy199 Posts: 627
    about 50mm i have 3 x 5mm spacers already, i dont really wanna lose the height. CRC sell replacement crowns & steerers, probably the only option. I also dont wanna have my stem clamped onto almost nothing either, from a safety point of view.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TomR
    TomR Posts: 50
    Lose the spacers and get a higher rise stem/bar setup, although for that expense you might aswell just go the new crown/steerer route if you get on alright with the current setup.
  • Marzocchi's
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Marzocchi's

what?

they do make quite a few and have made them for a few years.

model and year.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown