[n00b] What the hell do you do with these?! [/n00b]

Comments

• mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    tommywmb wrote:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3318

[n00b] What the hell do you do with these?! [/n00b]

Some guy reviewed them said -
    Cable oilers are added into the cable outer before threading the inner through. They're a bit awkward to fit, especially if like me you try to fit a 4mm oiler to a 5mm cable... However, the tight fit does ensure zero movement, so I'd be tempted to repeat the mistake!

I use mine on an extended cable run - from the top-tub to the rear mech in on go - and they will clearly be of most benefit to people running full-length outers. It's debateable whether there is much benefit to fitting them to very short runs.

Once fitted, lubrication is a breeze. Just pop the o-ring off, insert the tube of your favourite aerosol lube, and squirt. Chain Reaction recommend GT85 or WD40, but I've found 3-in-1 to be better as it's slightly heavier and stays put. GT85 can be used to flush-out the system every so often.

And Middleburn wed-site says-

Middleburn Cable Oilers are beautifully CNC-machined, super-lightweight oil ports, perfect for maintaining a smooth running transmission, especially during the winter months. Both removal of grit and grime build-up between inner and outer cables and general lubing are usually impossible to perform accurately without complete removal of a bike cable.

Middleburn Cable Oilers provide a port, sealed with a high quality O-ring, through which to perform the maintenance in a matter of seconds and to ensure your cables run smoother for longer.

I say-

So it seems you put them in the middle of a length of covered cable. The o-ring covers a little hole. Then when you need to add oil to the centre of your cable you move the o-ring and squirt some oil in. Why squirting oil from either end is not good enough I do not know?
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!