Cwmcarn regulars?

dox
dox Posts: 11
edited August 2007 in MTB general
Got a day off work tomorrow, so thinking of going up to Cwmcarn, and I was wondering if any regulars can answer a few questions? I'm thinking of spending a bit of time on the freeride course, and then heading off to the DH to have a look.

Is it very busy on weekdays? Am I likely to be able to get a couple rides on the uplift without pre-booking?

Whereabouts on the course is the freeride area? I've seen maps of the DH and the Twrch, but the freeride area isn't marked on them.

Is it a long push to get back to the top of the freeride? My bike doesn't like going up! :)

Comments

• dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    The freeride is well... i think its rubbish. I would have rung the uplift today or something to check as they often can be busy especially now the suns out. the walk to the top of the freeride is bordering on flat. but to get there to start with - its right on top of the hill and its pretty hard to get to unless you like the XC course. stay with the DH and the uplift. Isn't a day ticket only available in advance?
  • dox
    Thanks for the advice. Since it'll be to late to book the uplift by now, I think I'll take a trip to haldon instead.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Well for reference:

The Uplift doesn't run Monday or Tuesday (aside from Bank Holidays). You can buy full day passes on the day, but you’ll be very lucky to get one at the weekend, in fact on a Sunday with reasonable weather you’ll be lucky to get on at all if you haven’t pre-booked a day pass. Most week-days it’s not full (might be different now the kids are off school) You can buy a 5 run pass for £15ish which will take up the best part of a morning or afternoon.

The Freeride section is at the very end of the Initial climb on the XC loop, you can't miss it and the Uplift guy will drop you there if you wish.

I quite like the Freeride section, there's nothing else like it at any of the other ride centres in South Wales. There's a big bowl drop with 3 different height northshore style drop off's so you can build up to it. I unique corkscrew into a short tunnel and then a load of berms and different shaped table tops down to a northshore style wall ride. Everything is ether rollable or has a chicken run and whilst it's not that long, it only takes a few mins to push/ride back to the start, which cuts down on the amount of people who session a small section and get in the way of everyone else.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love going over to Cwmcarn in the week, it's so peaceful up there :D
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    The Cwm Carn Freeride area is quite good if you are a beginner, its not too hard, I liked it a lot :D
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    The thing I like about Cwmcarn is that all the different areas are (sort of) intermixable.

After a bloody long slog getting to the top of the Twrch Trail, you can include a run down the Freeride, and if you're feeling brave you can also include the DH.
    Craig Rogers
  • dox
    I will definately be taking a trip up there, but I did end up going to haldon. Had a great time chucking it down the 'snake run' and the freeride area. Too bad the black run is shut though.