MTB - Clothing for novice

mileslewis
mileslewis Posts: 5
edited July 2007 in MTB general
My son has just purchased a mountain big to use for commuting. Can you please give advice on what type of clothing he needs if he wants to look the part (at my age I do not need to worry and therefore unable to help)

He needs where possible to have clothing that will see him through whats left of summer and still be of use once autumn arrives

If he were to buy 3/4 length shorts now what would be the acceptable addition come winter eg leg warmers

Comments

• danhargrave7
    danhargrave7 Posts: 194
    I just wear Jeans, normally a bike related T-shirt (Fox Dmr Etc.) and Some skate sorta shoes.

I personally wouldnt worry, but if your being serious about looking nice when your riding you bike, then you will need to get some special shoes, for about £100, a lycra top and shorts, for aerodynamics, some £50 goggles and a £200 Moto-X helmet.

Without them he just wont look any good.

Dan
    <hr>
    Dont you hate it when your eating pizza with one hand, and trying to type with the other, the BAM! you accidently put4 \'W\'s into the address bar !!!!
  • A lightweight breathable windproof rain jacket would be a useful addition, preferably something with a high viz element.

The rest really depends on whether he wants to wear bike clothing and change when he gets there, or wear ordinary clothing with some kind of outer layer for protection from the elements.

Finally, I always advise a decent helmet and cycling specs / sunglasses . Not everyone will agree with that but there you go.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    SPD Shoes
    Gloves
    Shorts
    Waterproof (but breathable) Jacket
    Race Jersey
    Helmet
    Glasses
    Leg warmers

Also a good bag to carry any work clothes, towels, etc.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • coldomc05
    coldomc05 Posts: 85
    Hi

I also commute to work using my bike. Its a relatively short ride 6 miles each way. Here's the low down on what I commute in (weather permitted of course, albeit I live in Scotland lol).

Helmet: Specialized Aurora
    Shorts: Endura Humvee 3/4 (with chamois insert shorts)
    Gloves: Specialized BG Comp Mitts
    Shoes: Specialized BG MTB Comp SPD
    Jacket: Altura Windstopper
    Socks: Endura Coolmax
    Backpack: Berghaus FreeFlow 4.0
    T-Shirt: Nike Dri-Fit

It really depends in what you like. I personally don't like the lycra look so I wear baggies over the top. Never tried riding in jeans. But there are some cool looking bike specific jeans out there if your prepared to pay the price. Try Sombrio, they do some cool stuff.
    Signatures are for p*****s

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1231823/