Which Inner Tube & Road Tyre ??

Dearo
Dearo Posts: 58
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
I'm currently using Vredestien Fortezza (700 x 23c) road tyres and as a new boy to cycling this is all I have used.

Any suggestions for an alternative inner tube & tyre combination would be greatfully appreciated.

Regards

Dearo
Dearo

Comments

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Continental gatorskins are very durable and supposedly very p*unt*re resistant

As for tubes. No idea, i just buy whatever the bike shop has at the time
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    My Condor came with Hutchinson Quartz (23c). Only used it for less than a week (100 or so miles) but both wet and dry. I have to say they seem very good indeed for a general tyre which is apparently puncture resistant. Good grip in the wet. Natty blue strips as well.
  • mossycp
    mossycp Posts: 233
    Any reason why you want an alternative? Do you have problems with the Fortezza's?

What's your budget?

Tyres are quite a personal thing, some people like certain tyres and some don't. Some tyres puncture a lot for one person and they can be perfect for another. I've tried Fortezza Tricomps, Conti GP3000 and GP4000S, Hutchinson Equinox and Vittoria Rubino Pro. The only tyre I didn't like much was the Rubino which I didn't feel confident with in the wet. I've had no trouble with punctures in any of them. The Equinox is the stickiest but probably slowest of the tyres and I find ideal for commuting. The GP4000S seems to have mixed reviews on here but I've found them to be fine and fast rolling, if a little uninspiring.
    Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}
  • ThePiglit
    ThePiglit Posts: 94
    Approach gatorskins with caution - very variable intelligence on these. I bought a new bike a year ago with a set on and binned em after 700 miles afte punctures, cuts and deformation. Orrible.

Posted a thread on it. If you are better at rooting around in forums than me and old C+ stuff searchable you'll see what people had to say about skins.

Replaced with brilliant Schlwalbe marathons but am more of a tourist so these won't be right for you, though can maintain reasonable speed with em.

Hope this is useful
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    Have GP4000 25c with reflective sidewalls on the winter/audaxer.
    c.1,000 miles since Jan 1 in all conditions on gritty lumpy roads past farms - no p*nctures yet - c.75kg with a light pannier load.

Now running GP4000 S 23c on the summer ride - superb - Even more grip than the grippy 4000. Seemingly more comfy and faster rolling, however difficult to tell as they're on a faster carbon frame (vs. the steel Audaxer).
    Only low dry mileage on these so far.
    4000 S allegedly much easier to get on to rims too (than 4000 series) - I hope not to find out for some time yet!

Agree that tyres are like Marmite - You either love em or hate em, esp. the Contis.

Ensure you put them on the right way round / with correct rotation, as one post indicates that poor handling may be down to putting them on the wrong way round.
  • Dearo
    Dearo Posts: 58
    mossycp wrote:
    Any reason why you want an alternative? Do you have problems with the Fortezza's?

What's your budget?

Tyres are quite a personal thing, some people like certain tyres and some don't. Some tyres puncture a lot for one person and they can be perfect for another. I've tried Fortezza Tricomps, Conti GP3000 and GP4000S, Hutchinson Equinox and Vittoria Rubino Pro. The only tyre I didn't like much was the Rubino which I didn't feel confident with in the wet. I've had no trouble with punctures in any of them. The Equinox is the stickiest but probably slowest of the tyres and I find ideal for commuting. The GP4000S seems to have mixed reviews on here but I've found them to be fine and fast rolling, if a little uninspiring.

The Fortezza's seem to cope ok in both the wet & dry conditions, however as I haven't ridden on any other type of rubber I cannot say whether they are good or bad ?

My budget is up to £40 for the pair !

Cheers for the comments dude !

Regards

Dearo
    Dearo
  • 12volt
    12volt Posts: 32
    i recently got a planet-x pro carbon which came with conti sport kevlars on
    compared to my first bike spesh allez wasnt happy with the handling at all
    was advised to try some michelin pro race 2s
    what a difference !!!
    feels like a totally different bike !!! :)