Gran Fondo Pinarello, UK organisers take note

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
Just come back from Italy having done the Gran Fondo Pinarello.
What an experience.
Ok in the UK we cannot compete with such stunning scenary and smooth roads and we cannot expect rolling road closures for sportive and town closures to accomodate 4500 riders but I am sure UK organisers could learn from the organisation of such events.
The registration day before was great with several major sponsors present with their stalls.
The goody bag, given during registration contained several magazines, adverts etc, energy drink, energy bar and the bag itself was probably worth the 43 euro entry, a quality Pinarello ruck sack.
There was also a meal ticket for after the ride.
There were several very attractive ladies at registration which happened to make it more worth while also 8)
At the start there were 4 500 riders packed into the streets of Treviso but it was well organised and went through closed roads for a few miles. These were well worked out routes with wide roads. They had to be for a massed start as we were 10 abreast and about 3 miles long :)
During the ride, the marshalling was excellent, support also.
The feed statiions had plenty of cold water (needed as it was 37 degrees!!) energy drinks, ham rolls, cakes , bananas and oranges and plenty of it.
At the finish, the experience was amazing. I was fortunate enough to go well in the second half and catch a few groups from the long and short ride, and managed to stay near the front. The gorup expanded to around 400.
There were markers for 10k and then every 1k to the finish.
It felt like I was in the tour with the front 50 or so of us doing through and off (unheard of in Uk sportive :lol: )
Then with 5 k to go, it was mad, speed up to 30 to 35mph !! using full width of road until it was too fast and we all got strung out and there was even sprinting for the finish.
After nearly collapsing I was given a towel, fresh cold water to drink and fresh melon to eat and there were girsl going round giving out cold yoghurts.
There was a large marquee to shade us and inside using the meal ticket there was pasta, chicken, salad, cakes, coke and even beer!!
I spent about 2 hours at the finish cooling off, eating, drinking water and wathcing riders coming in, just soaking up the atmosphere of the event.
All of this for 43 euros!!!
I think the UK has a very long way to go to match this sort of organisation. It is not just about providing a route with lots of steep hills. The support before, during and after the race is also important.
With a 4 star hotel of 55 euro a night for 2 of us sharing, and cheap flights, average of 20 euros for pasta, salad and wine meals, this was cheaper than when I went to do Dartmoor classic and Dragin ride !!!
I think next year I will do 3 of the Fondo's in Italy unless organisers here learn the lessons :D
Oh, and another advantage is I got to get a very very good deal on a top spec Pinarello, much much cheaper than from here UK :D

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Glad you enjoyed it OldWelshMan - the Italians really do know how to run a cycling event don't they. :D

Let us know which GF's you are thinking of doing next year as there's a few GF baggers in CC Luton that would be interested in making a trip out of it.

Did you go with Carmelo and John Dowling - I know they like the odd sportive or two?

PS Did you get my reply to your avatar question? Not convinced the private mail thing is working correctly on this site yet!
  • oldwelshman
    Nope did not get reply, will figure it out when I get time :-)
    I am definately going to do it again next year but two of us are either going to do the Marmotte the week before also and coople of days in Alps or just go to Italy Alps before event.
    I did 6:36:00 for the 128 miles which I am pleased with, came 329th overall only 10 mins behind Jervs so thats good also as I was expecting to be about 30 ins down on him at least.
    I was not going well to mid distance, about 430th according to split, but for second half I was 214th fastest.
    The winner was the ex tour druggie Rumsas in 5:00.
    Lots of top riders and also several amateur teams so great event.
    Those who say these sportives are not races should try one of these :D

JD not there this year they did Marmotte.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Still can't get Private Mail to work :?: :twisted:

Sorry to go off topic, but here's how you set an Avatar:

Your avatar image must be 80x80 pixels max so...............

1. Use Photoshop or similar to crop your image to an exact square and then re-size to 80x80 pixels. Save the file with a new name in your photos folder on your pc's hard disk

2. Click on your Profile (top left of main Bikeradar forum index screen)

3. At the bottom of the screen is a box "Upload Avatar from your machine:" - browse and select the file you just stored on your hard disk here

4. Click "Submit" and hopefully, all your posts will have an annoying little picture by the side like mine!!

Hope you can understand what I'm blabbering on about!!
  • airegin
    airegin Posts: 34
    Hi, have to agree as well about the organisation for the gf pinarello.

It was a really good event. The goodie bag was generous, and as a female competitor I also got a pair of lovely pink flip flops !

During the 200km ride we did not have to stop at any junctions or traffic lights - the police and marshalls waved us through. There were 6 feedstations that were well stocked with food. There were also intermediate water stops on the long climbs given the exceptionally hot weather.

The women were set off in the first grid, along with guest riders and elites. I'd been a bit apprehensive about the fast and furious pace that would signal the start, but people seemed to have good riding discipline and I didn't see any crashes.

The Italians definitely like their women competitors. On a couple of the hills a group of a blokes would start pacing me up them. And after the last feedstop I rode in with a bunch containing local riders. We cruised along at more than 40km/h. Then in the last 250m they dropped back and allowed me to sprint for the line - for 1874th position ! Only in Italy.

It was a great day out, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to sample a high profile cyclosportive in Italy.

http://www.2wheelchick.blogspot.com/
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Some of the top women riders (Monica Bandini, Barbara Lancioni) are well enough known that I've seen them featured in ads for Cinelli bikes in magazines.

My favourites though are the pink angels of the Pinarello Ozone Opera team. They even have custom bikes:

9CPinarello.jpg
  • oldwelshman
    airegin wrote:
    Hi, have to agree as well about the organisation for the gf pinarello.

It was a really good event. The goodie bag was generous, and as a female competitor I also got a pair of lovely pink flip flops !

During the 200km ride we did not have to stop at any junctions or traffic lights - the police and marshalls waved us through. There were 6 feedstations that were well stocked with food. There were also intermediate water stops on the long climbs given the exceptionally hot weather.

The women were set off in the first grid, along with guest riders and elites. I'd been a bit apprehensive about the fast and furious pace that would signal the start, but people seemed to have good riding discipline and I didn't see any crashes.

The Italians definitely like their women competitors. On a couple of the hills a group of a blokes would start pacing me up them. And after the last feedstop I rode in with a bunch containing local riders. We cruised along at more than 40km/h. Then in the last 250m they dropped back and allowed me to sprint for the line - for 1874th position ! Only in Italy.

It was a great day out, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to sample a high profile cyclosportive in Italy.

It is good you were in the front :)
    One of my friends blagged his way next to elites and went off at the start so he got in pics !!
    I was in 3rd pen and past loads of women in first few miles so must have seen you :)
    It was weird with people passing riders from either side but no crashes which was good.

I see in your web page you know Yvette :) he is supposed to be doing me a deal on my new bike :)
  • airegin
    airegin Posts: 34
    Old Welshman, If you passed a young black lady riding in pink kit on a Specialized bike that was me !
    By the way, the Yvette I know is an Australian lady who lives in Italy and works (and rides) for Pinarello. Not sure if it's the same person. Hope you get a good deal on your bike anyway.

Re women cyclists in gran fondos the big names like Monica Baldini are treated like real stars and are often pictured in the bike Italian magazines. Not only do their bikes and kit look good but they also look pretty glamorous as well ! Very Italian !

• oldwelshman
    yes it is the same Yvette we met her in the bike shop on the Thursday and she came out with us one night. I have to take her for a meal if she does me a good deal :D
    I did 6:36 for the ride and there was a very nice looking Italian lady finished in my group and she was also very good cycling :D
    Do you have Yvette's mail at bikerider.net ? I think I have wrong one, if not I will mail the shop.
  • Mingsta
    Mingsta Posts: 24
    That all sounds very nice what with the pretty girls, chicken and shade at the end. But a sportive's not a sportive in my book unless the organisers have a good crack at trying to poison you with chain degreaser at the end of it.
  • oldwelshman
    Mingsta wrote:
    That all sounds very nice what with the pretty girls, chicken and shade at the end. But a sportive's not a sportive in my book unless the organisers have a good crack at trying to poison you with chain degreaser at the end of it.

Are you taking the piss :D
    You have seen my link below obviously and saw my pics of the de greaser i ate after the Dragon :D
    I have new pics and put a pic of two nice ladies I met there :?
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Mingsta wrote:

I have to say that in at least 3 of this years granfondos I've done I have ended up in the same group as Alessandra Casarin. I'm no cyclo-stalker but at the same time I'm not complaining either – she's gorgeous.