Wheels in cyclosportives

grazer
grazer Posts: 131
There was a thread on the old forum on wheels for cyclosportives, but cant find it now. Anyhow, what are the views on deep rim wheels for such events??

I am considering offloading my Ksyrium SL's for something with a 50-60mm rim, but keen to hear of anyone trying it and the impact on handling in cross winds or descents etc

Any thoughts welcome

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Haven't used them myself, but a mate used his Vuelta WR Pros at last years Highclere ride - he had a nightmare with them - suspect they are more likely to suffer impact punctures as they are so stiff and he had problems with the valve extenders when changing tubes. Lost a lot of time because of that.

Not sure how much advantage they give you aerodynamically..........personally for a sportif, I'd stick with the Kysrium's as they light and reliable. Also, not subject to evil bike handling when the wind picks up either.
  • grazer wrote:
    There was a thread on the old forum on wheels for cyclosportives, but cant find it now. Anyhow, what are the views on deep rim wheels for such events??

I saw an awful lot of deep carbon rimmed wheels during the Marmotte - Lightweight, Campag Boras, Mavic Cosmic and many others. They look and sound great but I would be surprised if most people would gain any benefit from them. I doubt they'll benefit me as I was climbing so slowly any aerodynamic effect would be negligible (rather like putting a spoiler on the back of 1950's Morris Minor I suspect).

I'd go for strong & reliable wheels which work well in all conditions especially if the weather is wet or windy.
  • grazer
    grazer Posts: 131
    I was looking at some 50mm planet x wheels, for use for Tri and/or sportive. I guess i can buy an open pro front wheel to stick on the front if conditions get gusty....
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    don't get the rear american classic hub on the p-x wheel. it's junk. ask them to build it up with a shimano or campag hub.

fine to ride a deep section at the back and a medium section at the front. though there will be virtually no aerodynamic benefit from this set up.
  • Naz
    Naz Posts: 353
    I would spend £500 on an extra trip to the Alps with my Ksiriums if it was me, extra fitness would benefit you more than new wheels
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    If you are fast uphills/on the flat, deeper rims will help. Zipp 404s are excellent and Lightweight are proven to be faster (but at a price!) But are you that quick? You might be better losing 4 kilos in body weight.
    On a recent trip to the Alps, someone who lives out there and trains on those climbs every week had a gorgeous pair of Open Pro ceramics laced with DT Aerospokes to 32 hole D/Ace hubs. Approx £400 and done by Sigma, they looked v.subtle and were repairable. otherwise he uses Ksyrium SLs
    M.Rushton