Pictures that make you think

jibi
jibi Posts: 857
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
Warning : some graphic photos of war etc

I found this blog

Images That Changed The World ?

I can remember quite a few of them and they do show our recent history.

Can you remember some of them or can you think of any others.

The guy in front of the tanks in Tiananmen Square brings back memories

george

Comments

• Aperitif 51
    Aperitif 51 Posts: 181
    Yes interesting...I remember a lot of the photos too - I have some original 'wire' photos of Kent State somewhere or the other. Winston Churchill - ingrained as he died on my tenth birthday and I still have the Mirror newspaper with that photo - again, somewhere or the other... :?

Recently, The Independent newspaper offered a lot in the way of photography reportage - interesting photos that gave it a different attraction (haven't been a regular reader for a while so may still be the same...?)

Life changing? Photographs of the Earth are commonplace now, but I find that amazing. Aerial photography in general is available to all through Google Earth but the concept of being 'up there' and pointing a camera 'down to Earth' is great.

Photos are moments - sometimes fantastic, unthinkable moments, or memories, and are always atractive, no matter what their subject.

I like l'equipe for the sporting images in our world...
    http://photos.lequipe.fr/index.php
    106kg - kg361 255characters have read this so far...I believe
  • jibi
    Those cycling pics are brilliant, pity they have L'Equipe watermark right across them.

george
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Very moving.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    The shots taken from the Apollo missions always get me, the earthrise over the moon being the most evocative from Apollo 8.
    GPN-2001-000009.jpg

NASA Center: Headquarters
    Image # : 68-HC-870
    Date : 12/29/1968
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Aperitif 51
    Aperitif 51 Posts: 181
    Agreed.

In the 'good old days' who would have countenanced "Planet X" as a bike'' builder?
    (Rudge Whitworth or Raleigh maybe...)

Plus ca change...
    106kg - kg361 255characters have read this so far...I believe
  • Rhythm Thief
    Rhythm Thief Posts: 2,787
    Fantastic link Jibi. Some of those are very moving.
  • jibi
    Fantastic link Jibi. Some of those are very moving.

Like I said in the OP, they bring back memories.

Photos engraved on the soul of humanity :(:(

george
  • markhr
    markhr Posts: 265
    fsm.jpg
    shameless powercranks plug

Don\'t run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    There was a photograph from the current gulf conflict that really hit home. A three year old girl who died when the people carrier she was in was apparently shot at by US forces. It really struck home as she looked a lot like my own daughter who was three at the time. The Iraqi girl had a similar face, same hair, similar clothes but with darker skin and a bullet in her abdomen. That picture really stirred up a lot of different negative emotions for me.
  • jackhunt
    jackhunt Posts: 49
    The napalmed girl had an enormous effes=ct on me as an eight year old. It was horribly confusing to see a naked girl (ooo er bit rude to an 8year old boy) in horrible distress. It still affects me to this day.
  • jackhunt
    jackhunt Posts: 49
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/10277453@N07/857572055/

Needs little explanation other than her whole family had just been wiped out by a US road block.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I've seen prints of some of these photos in exhibitions. Moving as they are, the internet just doesn't do them justice. They're amazing as real prints, full of detail and atmosphere.

There's some great photos from the ledgendary Magnum Agency here:
    http://www.magnumphotos.com/archive/C.aspx?VP=XSpecific_MAG.StaticPage_VPage&SP=photographers_list&l1=0&XXAPXX=SubPanel10
    There's somthing about black and white photos that just does it for me.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill