Dettol

jibi
jibi Posts: 857
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
for as long as I can remember

Dettol Disinfectant provides expert protection against harmful bacteria and can be used on many surfaces in your home or as an anti-bacterial skin cleanser. Dettol's unique non-bleach formula is proven to kill 99.9% of bacteria on surfaces, including E. coli, Salmonella, Listeria, MRSA, and the flu virus

so what is the 0.1% of germs it can't kill :shock: :shock:

They must be tough, and how come the boffins in the labs haven't found a way to kill them?

just a thought

george

Comments

• Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    I suppose that `bugs` are a bit like cyclists - There`s always one awkward bugger :wink: .
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    2 thoughts, and it depends exactly on thew wording...

Some bugs form resistant spores. That is they build a bomb-proof shelter around themselves and dig-in until conditions become favourable. When they are in their shelters they are not growing (multiplying) and a pretty indestructible.
    Common examples Clostridi botulinum (Botulism poisoning), Clostridia perfringens (gas-gangrene), Bacillus cereus (food poisoning from pre-cooked rice). When growing they are pretty-much as vulnerable to certain attacks as other bugs. Most have their weaknesses.

There is however a second possibility.
    Microbiologists talk about bug numbers, growth rates and particularly death rates logarithmically (statistics plays a big part in microbial numeration).
    Thus from a given poulation, a 1 log reduction in numbers is 90%, a 2 log reduction is 99% aand a 3 log reduction is 99.9%.
    These log reductions are used to denote how powerful the antimicrobial action of the disinfectant/cleaner is in comparison to others. Wording is important
    Domestos, kills 99% of germs dead = 2 log reduction of bacterial numbers Dettol is 99.9% effective, therefore better).
    Domestos kills 99% of all known germs dead implies that there are some varieties that get away...

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    Some questions are best unasked :D:D
    I am more confused by foodie's answer than I was just wondering. :? :?

george
  • sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    I'd say its simpler than that... they just wouldn't claim 100% for fear of the new, unknown or errant bugs that could still be present

Hope you can relax now
  • If it was claimed that 100% were killed, and someone suffered an injury fatality because of it, imagine the consequential claims....so, in the interests of positive marketing whilst limiting liability lets call it 99.9% of known germs. You try growing something in it to test out the theory!
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    jibi wrote:
    Some questions are best unasked :D:D
    I am more confused by foodie's answer than I was just wondering. :? :?

george
    Sorry... :oops:

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • BigWomble
    BigWomble Posts: 455
    jibi wrote:
    for as long as I can remember

Dettol Disinfectant provides expert protection against harmful bacteria and can be used on many surfaces in your home or as an anti-bacterial skin cleanser. Dettol's unique non-bleach formula is proven to kill 99.9% of bacteria on surfaces, including E. coli, Salmonella, Listeria, MRSA, and the flu virus

so what is the 0.1% of germs it can't kill :shock: :shock:

They must be tough, and how come the boffins in the labs haven't found a way to kill them?

just a thought

george

Well, there's that one for starters. Don't touch it! - oh no!!

:shock:
    Ta - Arabic for moo-cow