Isle of Skye, Sligachan to Camasunary

alanlowes
alanlowes Posts: 5
edited July 2007 in Routes
I am off to the Hebrides ( Barra S.& N. Uist and Skye) later this month with my wife. Most of the time we will be tootling between hostels and campsites (midges permitting). I want to take the opportunity to sample some off-road routes and in particular try the Sligachan to Camasunary track on Skye featured in MBR Feb 2007. I will be using an oldish but very strong and well fettled Giant hardtail. From the map it looks about 16 miles return trip. I would appreciate any info. on technical difficulty and the time it is likely to take. My missus will stay in Sligachan and I will either do it alone (weather permitting) or preferably link up with other MTBers. Any comments or suggestions gratefully received!!

Comments

• alanlowes
    Thanks!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Did a longer route that took in this section last summer. If I recall there is no climbing at all in this section. It is very rocky but more or less all rideable, although its going to take a lot longer than a flat route of that length should. I'd give yourself a good 3 hours.

A couple of things: there's a fair bit of potential for pinch punctures and at the beginning there are a lot of drainage ditches which can threaten your rear mech. The path is also not that clear at the beginning.

There is a good (that is cheap) bunkhouse at Sligachan (attached to the hotel) and there is a micor-brewery there!
  • alanlowes
    Many thanks for your reply. I particularly like the sound of the micro-brewery bit!
    Did you do the 44km +/- round trip (described on the web page above) going around the main road to Loch Ainhort and then over to Glen Sligachan?
    I quite fancied the sound of this but wonder how difficult it is.
    If you have time I would appreciate your comments.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    edited July 2007
    I did this route (or a very similar one) in reverse starting with the Sligachan-Camasunary section. There's a stiff climb and then pretty rocky but good fast descent after that (8-6). This is followed by a road section (6-5). It all went a bit pear-shaped then becaue the singletrack section across Strath Mor (5-4) was very boggy and was barely rideable and not always clear for long sections and this was mid-Summer. I dont mind a bit of hacking across rough, unridable terrain but my riding partners were mostly very unimpressed! At the end we thought that a good ride would have been to go from 1-6 (anti clockwsies) and back again.
  • al_yrpal
    al_yrpal Posts: 102
    Did this whole trip by bike (oban to barra, then on to Lewis and back to Skye, then mallaig and Oban) in April, but no off road. Brilliant trip on Calmac hopscotch ticket (cost £42 c/w bike).

Fantastic scenery, great local pubs and B&B's

Al
  • alanlowes
    Thanks for the input Paulie and Al.
    I had originally intended to do the Sligachan to Camasunary return route so will probably take your advice. After recent weather the boggy bit could be quagmire-ish !>

Will check out the Calmac island hopper fare. We are not intending to go to Lewis but will play it by ear when we are there. Really looking forward to the trip!
  • al_yrpal
    al_yrpal Posts: 102
    Heres the link:- http://www.calmac.co.uk/hopscotch-rover.html

On the route we did (Oban to Barra), Barra to Eriskay, North Uist to South Harris, and South Harris to Skye, then Skye to Malaig). The fare with a bike was £42 per person, with a car I think you have to add £170

Have a good time

Al