places in northampton

mtb_ kid
mtb_ kid Posts: 10
edited October 2007 in MTB rides
anygood mtb tracks to ride in northampton??

:D

Comments

• Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    Tried, Harlestone Firs, Pitsford Reservoir, Rutland Reservoir (bit further away), Salcey Forest. Not that much around here to be honest mate, but Harlestone is fun for an hour or so.
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012
  • helsbels
    helsbels Posts: 11
    Have to admit Northamptonshire is limited - see http://www.getmountainbiking.co.uk/links.htmfor places to ride - best bet is to travel to Woburn/ChickSands in Milton Keynes/Bedford for some good MTB terrain - although Harlestone does have some nice bits of singletrack and a few jumps (you just have to find them!)

Also try Irchester County Park and Borough Hill, Daventry as well
    www.getmountainbiking.co.uk
    Mountain bike skills courses in Northants/Milton Keynes for the uninitiated!
  • Coolnick
    Are you from Northampton too Helsbels? I live only a stones throw from Harlestone firs. Like you say it has a few good tracks, best ones I find are down golf course side on left. Do you get up there often? I prob go twice a week ish
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
  • helsbels
    helsbels Posts: 11
    I'm at Harlestone every month or so for a ride around

Agreed - near the golf course is some of the best parts and my fave singletrack - the part between that and the sawmill - also to the top left hand side of the firs is a row of jumps then the best downhill it can offer! - have you also found (well hidden) the 40m track at the top of the main bridleway?
    www.getmountainbiking.co.uk
    Mountain bike skills courses in Northants/Milton Keynes for the uninitiated!
  • Coolnick
    Not sure I have found that last one you mentioned? Hmm will have to try and have a look. I avoid the jumps part as my Rockhopper not the best for jumping to be fair! I like speed more than anything ha ha. You will have to let me know when your next going, you can show me the other hidden places as you seem to know it better than me. I've only taken up biking again over last 3mths, as had a break for a year cause of injury to leg.
    Btw what bike you got?
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited October 2007
    I also live in Northampton and as allready mentioned there is not much around here, I go to Chicksands, Harlestone firs and Badby Woods. Chicksands is really good...
  • there is a place full of jump and singal trake never towcester just out of northamton m8
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited October 2007
    What place is that, is it Tiffield Quary ?
  • freddie1
    freddie1 Posts: 10
    Does anyone know where the place mentioned near Towcester is?
  • mtb_ kid
    mtb_ kid Posts: 10
    cheers for the info people will have to check those out thanks!!! :D
  • I have lived in Bedford and for 20years, in Rushden. Regret there are only railway tracks, ploughed fields and little else. Yes, a few reservoirs, but nothing to keep you entertained....

...except...

Woburn Woods (AKA Bow Brickhill) - lots of tracks, roller coasters, epic climbs - the whole 9 yards. Lots of people meet up informally at the Sandy Crossroads anytime from 9:00 on most sunday mornings.

Good luck
    Whyte PRST-1 Works Special (+ carbon everywhere)
    Felt Superlight XC Racer, Carbon HT
    Pinarello Monvisio - Road
    GT Aero Edge TT Bike (Spinergy / Hed + Carbon)
    4 pairs of assorted running shoes