Trailquests

timberjack
timberjack Posts: 279
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
HI just wondering if any of you do trailquests [ basically orienteering on mountain bikes] i have only done 3 including yesterdays 4hr event in kiekder forest. It was a fantastic event really well organised but it was let down by only 45 competitors [over 100 last year] From what i picked up from talking to people was riders are bit wary to enter because its a competition, but for novices like me right up to the racing snakes that won the event it is a great way to enter a competition where time keeping and map reading are just as important as speed so if you see a one in your area give it a try you,ll be hooked.
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
Genisis Altitude 30, 09
Giant XTC4, 04

Comments

• Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    I've never orienteered on a bike, but I have used an OS map and compass on unfamiliar terrain and navigated my way around, if that counts. It was the first time I went on Exmoor and pretty useful, although getting a map out of my camelbak every few minutes was a pain.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I have a work colleague who is constantly asking if I will pair up with him to enter the Trailquest events. We both live just north of london and from what I can see on the Trailquest website, 99% of events seem to be held north of Birmingham, i.e. Peak District, Lakes, Yorkshire Dales etc.

If there was an event closer to home, around the chilterns for example then I would be more likely to participate.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • jmccann
    jmccann Posts: 1
    Try http://www.midlandtrailquests.co.uk/index.php. MTQ organises trailquests in the Midlands and often gets south of Birmingham, there are some in south Glouscestershire coming up soon!
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Thanks for that, I will keep a look out.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • terra
    terra Posts: 32
    http://www.clok.org.uk/Bike/index.htm

These folks organise some excellent events in the North East of england
  • dvatc_mark
    dvatc_mark Posts: 37
    I regally do the dark and white trailquests ( www.darkandwhite.co.uk ) in the peaks, they are really good fun or really hard work depending how hard you go at it.