PING old cake stoppers: C+ is in session in exile

alecstilleyedye
alecstilleyedye Posts: 1,170
edited July 2007 in The bottom bracket
many of the old C+ cakestoppers have now set up shop on wwwdotcyclechatdotcodotuk.

if the rest of us move over there it will feel just like C+ did last week.

not to say that we can't keep a foot in both camps though :wink:
riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…

Comments

• Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    Yep. I think I'm off there. I'll probably check in occasionally here, and to ACF too, but CycleChat seems more like the old C+Forum without the twats... :D

Kirstie - you joining us?

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Aaargh the pressure! Well, I'll check it out and see.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    edited July 2007
    Nah, once all the teething problems are sorted here it'll be fine. 8)

I'm not going to jump ship. :D

I expect the admins here are thinking "geez, give us a chance :roll: "

I expect lots of other users (including me) here are thinking "geez, give it a chance :roll: "

Plus, I can handle a bit of change for the sake of a few days of upheaval. After all "its only a forum". Stop being such a bunch of old women "I don't like it here, I want to go back to my home, I was happy there" dribble dribble. :roll:

Can we stop being such an angry mob and let it just settle down. 8)

Cyclechat is on the same software anyway so once this one is all sorted it'll look pretty similar, just with a load more people. But it won't be a problem to navigate around once Admin sort out the filtering a bit.

Hang about, or we'll just end up being fractured. :? Stay with the flock, safety in numbers! :D

:D:D:D:D:D 8)
  • Rhythm Thief
    Rhythm Thief Posts: 2,787
    I've already gone. It's nice over there, although the existing CycleChat members must be wondering what's hit 'em!
  • Rhythm Thief
    I don't mind the change as such, HeavyMental - I've used this sort of forum before and am ok with it - it's the way the whole thing's been handled that annoyed me. I was happily posting on C+ 48 hours ago with no idea this was in the pipeline and the whole thing seems to have been done for the benefit of advertisers. So I'm off (well, on and off - I'll still drop in here sometimes).
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    I'm awaiting my authorisation email, then I'll be over to see how it fares.

Am still gonna keep a tab over here and see how it goes.
    Thing is, it's mighty quiet here right now as far as the supposed C+ part of the forum goes...bit cold and dead.
    I hope it will improve.

Frankly although there are improvements that are likely to come along, the whole change and consultation process has been p155-poor.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • heavymental
    Well, everyone feels like that but leaving isn't going to change anything. Just means that we miss out on your input because some will leave and some will stay. There was a 'Bikeradar is coming' notice up for quite a while (not that I got around to reading it!) and also something in the magazine I think so we were kind of told but I don't think many people realised quite what would happen. I guess admin were just busy trying to get the new system set up and decided that we'd read the notice, figure it out and adapt. I think maybe they didn't realise how much the forum means to some people.

Everyone who has moved over to the other place posted stuff that was appreciated over here so it will be a shame if a chunk of the best input is lost to those of us who remain.

Just strikes me that with a bit of patience this foum will look like that one does anyway, people will settle into their usual boxes and peace will prevail. Some of us have been members for a long time now so it will be a shame to see everyone dispersing at the first hurdle. Everyones up in arms but it only changed a couple of days ago. At least give it a week before packing your bags? Please!? Fur me! :oops:
  • Canrider
    Canrider Posts: 2,253
    What he says. Give it a week to settle down.
    "We will never win until the oil runs out or they invent hover cars - but then they may land on us." -- lardarse rider
  • Steve Austin
    Steve Austin Posts: 1,803
    Don't want to be a doom monger, not sure there'll be anyone here in a week.

Friday afternoons were usually a busy time.

its deserted!!

Future have put the road section at the bottom.
    changed folks usernames
    not carried over post counts

And the forum is glitchy and slow

on the upside, its got potential :roll:
  • Rhythm Thief
    I'll keep dropping in for a few weeks yet. I think you're right, it does have potential and we should give them time to sort out some of the initial problems.
  • Aunty Rubbish
    Aunty Rubbish Posts: 1,010
    Hmmmmm. Might have a pop in to Cycle Chat for a nose about. Thing is, C+ being the biggest road forum around, it had it's own gravitational mass and dragged in all sorts. Which I liked. Will Cycle Chat end up being like ACF <insert rude comment here> only without Mr OCD presiding?
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I've moved over there, and at the moment, I think I prefer the atmosphere.
    I'll probably end up just posting in both for a while, and see what happens.
  • heavymental
    Hmmmmm. Might have a pop in to Cycle Chat for a nose about. Thing is, C+ being the biggest road forum around, it had it's own gravitational mass and dragged in all sorts. Which I liked. Will Cycle Chat end up being like ACF <insert rude comment here> only without Mr OCD presiding?

Well....it looks that way. :roll:

Its like a houseparty. We're all chatting away in the kitchen (which always ends up being most popular at a party) but a few people have abandoned the chaos and sloped off into the lounge. Wimps! :lol:
  • kaacp
    kaacp Posts: 93
    I'm willing to give the new forum a shot. But I'm off work next week, so will not be posting as much... :oops: But just so you know I haven't jumped ship.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.
    Charles M. Schulz
  • I've registered over there but want to keep my hand in here and see if things settle down. I'm gonna leave it now 'till sunday night, (off to London, there is a little race going on I hear). Lets see what I get back to.

I cycle, run, and hill walk.
    Legs like Popeye, arms like Olive Oyl. (Abs like Bluto).
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I think this will be a better place in the long run. More members should enhance the knowledge base in the tech forums, and soapbox could benefit from some new blood, with a bit of luck it will get an influx from the political centre and right wing. Debate isn't debate if the majority think the same.

Cakestop will show us if the MTBers have a greater or lesser number of sexual deviants than we had in the old place.
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Well, I've tried to get used to this website for 3 days and I'm still finding it a pain in the arse. Worst of all, I can't easily surf through "know how" section - I found it so useful on the C+forums.

It's a bloody shame that such a good, helpful community has been broken up by such an ill-thought change. Fingers crossed the Cycle Chat forum can develop the same buzz and be as useful as the old C+ forums.
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • Hmmph - I don't usually post at this time of year much as I'm either out riding or gardening or just generally enjoying the summer weather. But since the weather has been so cr*p I have just started reading and posting again. So it came as a shock to find all these changes coming so suddenly out of the blue. If I had wandered back in in September that would have been a bigger shock.

Ah well things do change so I guess that's that. But now that you guys have mentioned the other place I will have a look over there.

If I had a Baby Elephant medical science would be rewritten, if the baby elephant could write.
  • WindyRob
    WindyRob Posts: 32
    i was wondering what all the fuss was about WRT to format of the forum pages, having been over there and tonight coming back i can see what everyone was on about, the strain on the eyes with this plain white background is awful. guess if it changes it'll be ok here.

another benefit of being over there is no adverts

windy
    Wot, get up early and ride to work?!.... Are you mad?
  • beanzontoast
    beanzontoast Posts: 1,457
    I intend giving the other forum a try - waiting for the registration process at the moment. It's too cluttered over here for me. Too much to wade through in order to find the bits that are similar to the old C+ site.

Edited by beanzontoast looking ever so carefully for mistakes
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    Gonna keep a watching brief on this one too.

Even though I'm on Cyclechat, i cant help feeling this defragmentation is the demise of the C+ crowd.
    <font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    If you deleted all the threads from old C+ forum members, this place would be a hell of a lot better.

So far all I have read is...

* I am thinking about going (with optional subtext of setting up own forum)
    * I am going
    * I have gone but I am going to tell you all about it (whilst plugging my new forum)

...did anyone ride today or watch the Tour or something?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Jimmy you aint wrong. Speaking as someone who had a strop about the new forum it doesn't exactly make a riveting read :oops: . I'm sure that given time things will settle down a bit.
    I have pain!
  • tentonnehammer
    tentonnehammer Posts: 2,805
    Had a look at Cyclechat and it just seems right so hope this forum does well and all the best to everyone here but I think i will go and hang out over with the other refugees - gan steady folks!!!! :D
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    Jimmy the Cuckoo your spot on :D
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • heavymental
    Yep, you're right Jimmy. Ah well, we've lost some old faces....but gained some new faces. We've just got to work a bit to make sure this place gets lively again.
  • lardarse rider
    lardarse rider Posts: 1,447
    Well, I'm still frickin here. Not that anybody cares. I've just got back from a few days in Hamster Jam. A veritable cycle frenzy!!

I\'m pushing the pedals on my season cycle
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    I`m still here (and quite enjoying it ... I`m not going to do the "I think **** potential bit again :wink: ), but I was on CycleC allready 8) .
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    If you deleted all the threads from old C+ forum members, this place would be a hell of a lot better.

So far all I have read is...

* I am thinking about going (with optional subtext of setting up own forum)
    * I am going
    * I have gone but I am going to tell you all about it (whilst plugging my new forum)

...did anyone ride today or watch the Tour or something?

:lol::lol::lol:

+1
  • I just had to check if there were actually any other forums than cakestop on the old C+ site.... :D