Just did a nice 30 miles

loobster
loobster Posts: 62
edited July 2007 in Road beginners
In 1hr 45 minutes. Not bad I spose, nothing. Really hilly route though and very windy. Seemed whatever direction I was cycling in there was wind blowing right at me. Only had one long flat stretch where I was averaging about 24 mph for about 7 miles. All in all a pretty cool ride. Anyone else been out this morning?

Check my bands page:

www.myspace.com/arktorusrann

Updates soon.

Comments

• bianchi 1
    bianchi 1 Posts: 253
    Steady 50 miles around the malvern hills. The weekend at glastonbury has taken its toll, a real slog today and i agree, head wind all the way around! strange summer .
  • cyclinggirl
    cyclinggirl Posts: 196
    Went for a 12 miler earler, not very far I know but was a nice ride. Slightly windy, glad I went out when I did, started pouring down not long after I got back.
  • loobster
    Yeah...you shoulda stayed out in the rain. I love it!

50 miles is respectable. I could've pulled out another 10 or 15 or even 20 miles but I couldn't be arsed to think of a route so I came home to eat.

Check my bands page:

Updates soon.
  • I've just got back in from a 25km trip...I took a new route and thought it would be around 35km (which is when me legs ususally tell me I'm joking)..but it was shorter. But the wind was really strong and also against me must of the way.
    I took the oppoertunity to try out several different saddle and handle bar positions and so spent some time in car parks messing aroung with my tool....does that sound bad?[:D]

Hey Loobster I just checked out your band...most excellent!!

Here, check out my 'one man' band[:D]
    http://www.myspace.com/argyr

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Er, some of us have to pretend to work!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Zx14 vs hayabusa
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • AmazingEd
    AmazingEd Posts: 20
    You guys do 30 miles in about 2 hours!... man I'm slow :-(

How can I speed my bike up. I have a factory spec Specialized Crossroads sport. I love the bike but it does feel a little slow. People on normal mountain bikes tend to keep up with me and I'm pedaling hardish. My average speed is about 12MPH acarding to the gizmo.
  • Ed sound like you are averaging similar speed to me...I am slow, but I blame that on being heavy, and riding a heavy touring bike. Rememebr though everyone else here is riding downhill all the time[;)][;)][;)][:D]

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • AmazingEd
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>

Ed sound like you are averaging similar speed to me...I am slow, but I blame that on being heavy, ]

Gravity sucks
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks I feel better now[:D]

I'm a skinny lanky bugger so I should cut through the wind like a blade of grass.

I think I'll get some thinner tyres.
  • ooops![:I][:D]

Thinner tyres sound good[:D].

I have also learn't here that getting the bike set up right can really help...so unless you have already done that (?) maybe look at it?

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • Mark.Scp
    Mark.Scp Posts: 514
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AmazingEd</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bigtallfatbloke</i>

Ed sound like you are averaging similar speed to me...I am slow, but I blame that on being heavy, ]

Gravity sucks

Thanks I feel better now[:D]

I'm a skinny lanky bugger so I should cut through the wind like a blade of grass.

I think I'll get some thinner tyres.

Its basically all down to training - you have to push yourself beyond your comfortable limit to improve. Join a club and go on club runs, enter TT's, which will most definitely improve your fitness :)

Mark

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

• Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    simple stuff but the big things I learnt when I started was thin and slick tyres without going too thin (rough ride) and too slick (kill yourself when braking hard) and get them as hard as you can bear

get the seat up as high as you dare

that's it really, sorry if that's too simple, 12mph is an ok regular speed, I used to average 15+ when I was commuting 15miles each way through London

must get a comp fitted, it feels like I'm going faster these days ...
  • bianchi 1
    bianchi 1 Posts: 253
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Er, some of us have to pretend to work!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

Im a chef so am about to go to work now[V]
  • loobster

I've just got back in from a 25km trip...I took a new route and thought it would be around 35km (which is when me legs ususally tell me I'm joking)..but it was shorter. But the wind was really strong and also against me must of the way.
    I took the oppoertunity to try out several different saddle and handle bar positions and so spent some time in car parks messing aroung with my tool....does that sound bad?[:D]

Hey Loobster I just checked out your band...most excellent!!

Here, check out my 'one man' band[:D]
    http://www.myspace.com/argyr

Gravity sucks

Thanks man, thanks a lot of for listening. I'm glad you liked it! Just listened to your stuff, you like your Malmsteen don't you...jesus man, scary chops. I could never play like that! Great stuff!

my bands page:

• loobster
    Btw, King's X are one of my favourite bands ever. Good stuff man.

You might like this if you're into Kings X www.myspace.com/downandabove

Listen to Molasses and Anodyne. What guitars you play? Looks like a 70s strat? Malmsteen sig?

my bands page:

• AmazingEd
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tynan</i>

simple stuff but the big things I learnt when I started was thin and slick tyres without going too thin (rough ride) and too slick (kill yourself when braking hard) and get them as hard as you can bear

get the seat up as high as you dare

that's it really, sorry if that's too simple, 12mph is an ok regular speed, I used to average 15+ when I was commuting 15miles each way through London

must get a comp fitted, it feels like I'm going faster these days ...

Why do cyclists tilt the seat forward?
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    compared to what?
  • AmazingEd
    Well some cyclist have the seat flat and some have it quite tilted forward.

Does that help with speed?
  • Great band!...I have ten guitars, mortly strats that I modify myself. I also own a YJM sig strat, but I prefer my own modifications. You can see a little more of my guitars here:

http://www.virtualstudiosystems.com/artistPage.php?ArtistID=175

most of my stuff is just me recording at home, but there are several 'guest' singers & drummers on some of the songs whom I have never met as we record over the net.

..yeah I like Malmsteen...I got as fat as him as well...hence the cycling[:D][:D]

Gravity sucks
    Gravity sucks
  • photojonny
    photojonny Posts: 382
    I did about 30 miles this morning. Windy, got absolutely soaked, got a puncture about 4 miles from home when it was chucking it down. Decided to limp back rather than change it, as it was going down slowly.

Then fell off as the back wheel went from under me when I hit some mud (luckily into some lovely long grass)

Not my best ride.

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

• loobster

Great band!...I have ten guitars, mortly strats that I modify myself. I also own a YJM sig strat, but I prefer my own modifications. You can see a little more of my guitars here:

http://www.virtualstudiosystems.com/artistPage.php?ArtistID=175

most of my stuff is just me recording at home, but there are several 'guest' singers & drummers on some of the songs whom I have never met as we record over the net.

..yeah I like Malmsteen...I got as fat as him as well...hence the cycling[:D][:D]

Gravity sucks

Wow, those look like great guitars. I can see the Blackmore influence on those strats where you've removed the middle pickup, very cool. I myself play telecasters and I'm a boutique effects freak. I have a CIJ '62 Reissue in Candy Apple Red with double binding and a new American Deluxe limited edition in butterscotch blonde with black binding, really cool. Used to play strats but since getting into teles, I kinda left them behind and they don't feel 'right' any more.

Awesome to see another guitar freak on the board!

my bands page:

• loobster
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by photojonny</i>

I did about 30 miles this morning. Windy, got absolutely soaked, got a puncture about 4 miles from home when it was chucking it down. Decided to limp back rather than change it, as it was going down slowly.

Then fell off as the back wheel went from under me when I hit some mud (luckily into some lovely long grass)

Not my best ride.

I hate those kind've rides man. I've been in that exact situation, only I punctured about 5 miles from home. No spare tube, tire levers, anything. Really did suck.

my bands page:

• stevec205gti
    stevec205gti Posts: 366
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AmazingEd</i>

Well some cyclist have the seat flat and some have it quite tilted forward.

Does that help with speed?

Some tilt it forward to relieve pressure on their bits when they're bent over - it will depend on the size of bike/height of handlebars/how you sit/how far you like to bend over or sit up straight as to whether you want your saddle tilted. Obviously, the more comfortable and relaxed you are, the more effort you can put into riding, rather than trying support your body in a comfy position on a badly set up bike

Burning brake blocks - the smell of fear
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • well I just got back in from todays 34kn ride...once again not a huge distance but the wind was a b%stard today, and I rode yesterday as well so I'm happy...also I feel good because I feel like I could ride again in an hour, whereas usually I'm headed for the sofa about now[:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Wow, those look like great guitars. I can see the Blackmore influence on those strats where you've removed the middle pickup, very cool. I myself play telecasters and I'm a boutique effects freak. I have a CIJ '62 Reissue in Candy Apple Red with double binding and a new American Deluxe limited edition in butterscotch blonde with black binding, really cool. Used to play strats but since getting into teles, I kinda left them behind and they don't feel 'right' any more.

Awesome to see another guitar freak on the board!

I don't own a Telly, but I want one bad. I've never seen abybody scallop one of those so I figure I could be the first! Candy apple red is a cool color, especially with a maple neck.
    I'm the sort of guy who cannot leave an axe as it was from the shop...I have to pull it apart, re build it and change things around..it's in my blood now[:D]

Since i have taken up cycling though my playing hours have dropped right off, I suppose it's because I have a new 'hobby' now. I bet the winter months will see a drop off in rides though and then I'll get back into writing and recording again
    Gravity sucks
  • I used to ride a Dawes Galaxy tourer and averaged around 13-14mph, now I've got my Bianchi I'm getting 15.5mp on 70milers. I'm only just getting back to training after a year with no cycling!

3 things helpoed me increase my avg speed;

1. getting a heart rate monitor! I don't race or TT or anything, but 80% of my cycling I do at between 70-75% of max heart rate(210 for me), 20% recovery riding usually with daughter.
    2 combined with a higher cadence of 85-100 (just like Lance) helped make me maintain my new higher speed without knackering my legs.
    3. make sure you breathe regular 'deep' breaths, too many people 'pant' and shallow breathe.

Saddles are also tilted forward to help get a little extra leverage when pedalling. They use it to push against, it were flat they would slide backwards on the saddle.
  • bunnyman
    bunnyman Posts: 62
    <i>Originally posted by Loobster</i>
    <i>Originally posted by photojonny</i>

Not my best ride.

<font size="2">Ouch[B)][xx(]-had a right 'mare yesterday too. riding from Innerleithen to melrose via Heriot. Piece of wire from the rim of my front Scwalbe marathon snapped and embedded itself in the inner tube...[:(][:(]finally limped home at 11pm having walked the last 2 miles from Abbotsford[:(!][xx(]. Luckily I had a folding Tourguard in the goodie box. Anyway it was a lovely sunny afternoon so that was something. I tend to average about 10-15 mph when I'm riding -go fast when I can but slow enough to enjoy the scenery. Lockerbie to melrose (about 66 miles via the Ettrick valley and Yair Bridge ) took me just under 6 hours with a fairly full touring load-some great downhills on this ride. Ullapool to Achmelvich via the coast road usually took me about 3 and a half hours to cover 36 ish miles (very twisty and hilly,this one)- not bad as some other people I met had taken 1 1/2 hrs to drive there.[:D][:)][:p]

Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths</font id="size2">
    Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153

You guys do 30 miles in about 2 hours!... man I'm slow :-(

How can I speed my bike up. I have a factory spec Specialized Crossroads sport. I love the bike but it does feel a little slow. People on normal mountain bikes tend to keep up with me and I'm pedaling hardish. My average speed is about 12MPH acarding to the gizmo.

No, Loobster did it in 1 hour 45, big difference between that and 2 hour, sorry if that makes you feel even worserer !
  • wherryman
    wherryman Posts: 77
    Just in from 30 miles in 1hr 46m, wind was horrendous and the buggers have resurfaced what used to be a lovely smooth country B road, with sweeping bends and little ups and downs, with a mixture of half inch stones in with tarmac so the vibration is horrendous and the speed is killed. Real shame that was a great Norfolk back road I cant use anymore. Glorious weather though apart from the wind. One of those days I felt I could have gone on and on.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I too got a 30 in this morning - also in 1:46. My route was undulating and it was raining for the last 12 miles. Despite that I enjoyed myself until a roundabout about 400 metres from home where a car was drived straight across my path :shock: - still, I suppose I even enjoyed bad-mouthing the tw@t behind the wheel :twisted: Will be taking a day off the bike tomorrow and then, weather permitting, will try to do 40-50 miles on Saturday :lol:
  • Managed to get a 40 miler in while the weather was nice, and now feel much better having been sat inside looking at the rain for the past 2 weeks. Hopefully summer will be here soon.

Although at the moment, it seems this quote from The Holy Grail is relevent:-

"Winter changed to spring, spring changed to summer, summer changed back into winter. And winter gave sping and summer a miss and went right on into autumn" :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015