TdeF Prologue from Liverpool Street

mossycp
mossycp Posts: 233
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
I'm planning to travel to the Prologue on the train from Ipswich so will arrive at London Liverpool Street station. My question is, do I bring my bike on the train and ride to the Prologue? How easy would it be to ride through London on the Saturday? I don't know London very well, would there likely to be others riding from Liverpool Street to the Prologue at about lunch time?

<font color="blue"><h5>Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}</h5></font id="blue">
Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    They were asking people not to bring their bikes, but I would check the official sources to find out for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    XXX TUBE
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    You can download a PFD from here: http://www.tourdefrancelondon.com/en/203.asp

The relevant bit is here:
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Cycling

Over the weekend, 10,000 cycle spaces will provided in dedicated cycle parks around the Tour de France event area. These are shown on the Prologue map (overleaf). Cycles, may be taken on certain London Underground routes and a summary and downloadable map can be found at tfl .gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/974.aspx

If you wish to take your bicycle on National Rail services, check with the train operator before travelling. Details can be found at www.atob.org.uk/bike_rail.html

More details on planning your journey by cycle can be found at tfl .gov.uk/tfl /roadusers/cycling/cycleroutes/<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Nanni Galli
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • drhaddock
    drhaddock Posts: 664
    How easy will it be to ride through London? Very. I'd prob go down bishopsgate and around the embankment. You'll get there a lot quicker than you would on the tube!

Doc
  • If I was you I'd leave your bike at home and just get the tube from Liverpool Street as it'll be total chaos trying to keep hold of it whilst you attempt to watch the prologue, and it'll be quite annoying to return to your bike afterwards to find it's only mostly still there.
  • xio
    xio Posts: 212
    Ya ***** - cycle from Ipswich, it's not that far!
  • mossycp
    mossycp Posts: 233
    Thanks for the replies. I had read somewhere that they were advising not to take bikes but can't find it anymore, then on the official site it says that they have 10,000 spaces.

I had thought of riding from Ipswich and getting the train back but noone seems to be up for it. It's about 70-80 miles I think which would be fine in a group but tough on my own especially navigating through the outskirts of London!

I'm not keen on the tube in London which is why I thought about taking the bike. It'd be safe in amongst 10,000 other bikes won't it? Mustn't forget where it is though!

<font color="blue"><h5>Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}</h5></font id="blue">
    Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}
  • Im planning to go too, not sure about Saturday but on Sundays there is often disruption between Ipswich and Colchester. So I may drive to Colchester and get the train from there and the tube from Liverpool St. The bike will be staying at home Im afraid, travelling with my boy (10) so cycling the distance is not an option and I dont fancy trying to get a good view [:(!] and looking after a bike.[:(!][:(!]

Otherwise cycling to London fronm Ipswich is probbaly a good journey, nice roads[^]most of the way.

<font size="1">Work</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Play</font id="size1">