Isle of Wight Randonnee

JonWcp
JonWcp Posts: 26
Anyone else do this at the weekend?

Hope it wasn't just me that found it quite challenging...

Comments

• zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
  • JonWcp
    I started at Alverstone, which meant the climb at Blackgang was towards the end for me, maybe next time I'll try to do this with fresher legs [:D] Forget to turn my computer on at the start, but think I did it in about 4.15 - 4.30hrs. I was hoping for about 3.30 but I now realise with the number of hills it was a bit unrealistic...
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    great fun day out. the foggy section along the south coast was challenging and somewhat scary.

Many thanks to the guys and girl from the hemel Hempstead club who towed me along over the last 20 miles just that little bit faster than I thought i could go
  • First time for me and enjoyed every single minute and the weather wasn't as bad as it could have been, but the fog was a nice surprise. Did everyone use the cycletrack along the River Yar or was there another way that the regulars know about?
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I was there, I think it was Jon I met at the Yarmouth checkpoint.

Good ride out with a peloton of recumbents!

One Grasshopper, Catrike expedition, Trice S and Trice T.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    42 Posts: 98
    Good ride. The track next to the Yar was a "technical section!" I came over on the 8:30 to Fishbourne.
    The sea mist was erm thick and thank the Lord that the wind was behind us on the southern side up the hills. Made them seem very easy.
  • ClaireV
    ClaireV Posts: 967
    Wasn't it a brilliant ride? I loved the 'cyclocross' bit just after Yarmouth, and was luckily having a good day on hills - there were rather more of them than I was expecting. I made it back to East Cowes by lunchtime, in plenty of time to spend the afternoon helping my aunt and uncle move fridge freezers all over the place!
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    That's an old railway line that's only just above the level of the marshy ground.

I did the ride 2 years ago (starting from Yarmouth, near my mum's place - the ferry crossing is less crowded there) and it was another foggy start along the south coast.

Was hoping to do it again this year, but after a week racing in Italy I actually wanted at least one weekend off the bike.

<font color="black">london</font id="black"><font color="red">phoenix</font id="red"><font color="black">.co.uk</font id="black">
  • JonWcp
    Cunobelin,

I only briefly stopped at Yarmouth, what bike were you riding?
  • did it for the fourth time, for the third time on my fixie. always a pleasurable ride. got a good gang together and made a day of it. started at whitwell so had the big hill to the end but saved plenty for it and loved it.

Jonny
    FGG #2545 & #2983
    Jonny

FGG 2545, 2983
  • Cunobelin
    I was on a recumbent trike.

I bumped into someone with a Cycling Plus jersey, so introduced myself, and he replied that his name was John (could be Jon).

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    I was over there for the tenth time. I really enjoy it. I make a weekend of it going home on the monday. I thought the heavy mist over Blackgang was really earie. It didn't stop me hurtling down the other side at 45 mph though. I'll be there again next year. I did it in just under 5 hours.

So many roads, so little time!!!
  • JonWcp
    I tagged along with John with the Cycling Plus jersey until the chain ferry (Must be the same one), we got split up there. His mate was feeling the effects of the night before [:)]
  • ClaireV
    You weren't the one with the recumbent trike I had a chat to outside one of the stops at about 11:30 or so were you? It was the stop where a mountain biker had just had a terminal blowout.
  • pauluscp
    Cunobelin, Is this a piccie of you? 12th photo from the left. Click on the link to the photos.
    http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

• Cunobelin
    Claire - Could be I was on a silver Catrike, accompanied with a blue Trice

Paulus - that is Di, A Trice S. She had only ever done 30 miles and completed the ride! I often think that this is more of an achievement than those of us who do it regularly.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • pauluscp
    Cunobelin, I think congratulations are in order for everyone who completes the IOW ride. It may be only 100k/62miles, but it is a fairly tough ride, especially for those who have not ridden that sort of distance before. Chapeux.

• Cunobelin
    In the "other place" there is a suggestion that this ride is in fact a "Grimpeur" as there are over 1500 metres of climbing!

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • ClaireV
    Really?!
  • MikeX
    MikeX Posts: 75
    Hi - never managed to make it for the organised event (my boss did and said it was superb).
    Living 13 miles from Lymington myself and a mate decided to do it as a training ride for the Dragon Ride (in 3 weeks - ooops). We decided to ride out from home & do the round island anti clockwise following most of the signs - OK we missed a few and had to double back more than once.
    i can honestly say that this was the hardest day of riding I have ever done - we ended up covering 98 miles averaging 15.4mph in the saddle.
    The really good bits were the scenery and how good we were treated by car drivers! i could not believe how hilly it was either and the post about being in excess of 1500m I could well believe.
    Next time i will try to get out on one of the organised days but will definitely be doing this one again.
    PS we had a very hot day for this and can highly recommend the Baywatch beach cafe at St Helens for a bacon & egg baguette.
    Cheers all - PS any recomendations for lunch stops would be usefull for our next outing.

MikeX

Why is the wind always head on?
    MikeX

Why is the wind always head on?