Things you have recently learnt

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
Tangled Metal

Re: Things you have recently learnt

Postby Tangled Metal » Mon Sep 16, 2019 09:00 am

Poptart242 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Just admitted on a public forum that you've driven with an unsafe load! At least you won't get caught doing it by the police. :D

Full disclosure here, I can't see how it wasn't my mistake so it seems right to own up to it. Luckily, no harm done to anything other than my own property and for that I'm equal parts lucky, grateful, and sorry.

It happens. A mate from my canoeing days had to collect a roof rack carrying 4 kayaks from the middle lane of a motorway after it came flying off. It was a Paddy Hobkirks rack which everyone else knew was totally unsafe.

They had a rep for flying off car roofs among canoeists so most avoided them and halfords own brand racks which were made by paddy hobkirks back then.

keef66

Postby keef66 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 09:47 am

How hard it is getting QueasyJet to reimburse hotel expenses after they cancelled our flight back from Italy. O.K. it was French Air Traffic Control which broke, so no automatic compensation, but they are still required to assist with food, drink and accommodation. We were meant to fly on Sunday but couldn't get back till Wednesday, so I'm out of pocket for 3 extra days hotel and food for a party of 6.

They tell you to use the online tool / form which gives you no chance to explain anything, then you get a rejection from a no reply email address. Doubly infuriating since it alleges they've carefully considered the claim but they've got the hotel and excess parking charges @rse about face, and they sign off with a cheery 'we hope to welcome you on board again soon'

Now moving on to a strongly worded letter reminding them of their obligations under E.U. law, and sending it Signed For so they can't deny receiving it...

Fenix

Postby Fenix » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:46 pm

david7m wrote:Also CIMA and didn't know that.

Yes me too - it's not something I was ever taught or thought about.

essex-commuter

Postby essex-commuter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Allegedly the numbers or markers on toasters are minutes, not 'browness'.
The older I get, the faster I was.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Sep 16, 2019 13:08 pm

Chess Grandmasters burn around 6000 calories a day when in tournaments, and on average, lose around half a kilo per day in weight as a result.

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Mon Sep 16, 2019 13:14 pm

twelve plus one is an anagram of eleven plus two.
and then the next thing you know

hopkinb

Postby hopkinb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 13:47 pm

essex-commuter wrote:Allegedly the numbers or markers on toasters are minutes, not 'browness'.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

This is dynamite stuff. Can it be though? I have it somewhere between 4 and 5 on a 10 point scale. The missus will use a 7 for crumpets. Does anyone use 10?

Longshot

Postby Longshot » Mon Sep 16, 2019 13:52 pm

KingstonGraham wrote:twelve plus one is an anagram of eleven plus two.

Nice. Thanks.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Mon Sep 16, 2019 13:53 pm

essex-commuter wrote:Allegedly the numbers or markers on toasters are minutes, not 'browness'.

is it not effectively the same thing? more minutes = more brownness (browness?!)

although whether the brownness (i'm going with that one!) is a linear scale is another matter altogether!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Step83

Postby Step83 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 13:57 pm

Chris Bass wrote:

is it not effectively the same thing? more minutes = more brownness (browness?!)

although whether the brownness (i'm going with that one!) is a linear scale is another matter altogether!

Peak brownness attained in X Minutes. Works for me

KingstonGraham

Postby KingstonGraham » Mon Sep 16, 2019 14:57 pm

Step83 wrote:
Chris Bass wrote:

Peak brownness attained in X Minutes. Works for me

What it isn't though, is a control on the heat of the element, which is what a lot of people think.
and then the next thing you know

elbowloh

Postby elbowloh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:01 pm

Is that the same for every brand?
Felt F1 2014
Felt Z6 2012
Red Arthur Caygill steel frame ??
Tall....

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:02 pm

I think i might invent a kind of pendulum toaster, the bread could swing between the elements and appear out of one end, when it is brown enough you grab the bread and enjoy! I could make it into some sort of design master piece and charge a fortune for it like that expensive lemon juicer thing that looks like a space ship

keef66

Postby keef66 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:19 pm

I'm thinking with your pendulum idea the bread might not ever get hot enough to toast?

I thought I'd invented the see-through toaster till I actually spotted one. Or did I just imagine that??

Must get a toasting fork and do some with the log-burner door open this winter.

I'm guessing the tripod space ship lemon squeezer things look better than they actually work...

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:23 pm

keef66 wrote:I'm guessing the tripod space ship lemon squeezer things look better than they actually work...

It's famous for not working. Just a pretty objet to have on your worktop.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:24 pm

keef66 wrote:I'm thinking with your pendulum idea the bread might not ever get hot enough to toast?

I thought I'd invented the see-through toaster till I actually spotted one. Or did I just imagine that??

I'm guessing the tripod space ship lemon squeezer things look better than they actually work...

yeah, if you twist while pressing hard the legs suddenly slide, it topples, and your citric acid soaked hand crashes into the glass below. The glass breaks, cutting the knuckles and palm of the hand. The pain of the citric acid makes the user black out and they bleed to death on the kitchen floor. FACT!

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:25 pm

they definitely exist i'm afraid.

back to my idea - i'd just need a long enough toaster to make sure it did - or the worlds hottest toasting elements so the time it spends between them needs to be minimal - it'll all be sorted by the time i make it to Dragon's Den

Actually - maybe if the bread was still and the toaster was on the pendulum that'd be more exciting a spectacle?

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:26 pm

rjsterry wrote:
keef66 wrote:I'm guessing the tripod space ship lemon squeezer things look better than they actually work...

That's exactly how i'll pitch my Toaster to the Dragons

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:27 pm

darkhairedlord wrote:
keef66 wrote:I'm thinking with your pendulum idea the bread might not ever get hot enough to toast?

yeah, if you twist while pressing hard the legs suddenly slide, it topples, and your citric acid soaked hand crashes into the glass below. The glass breaks, cutting the knuckles and palm of the hand. The pain of the citric acid makes the user black out and they bleed to death on the kitchen floor. FACT!

Very true, it happened to me.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:30 pm

Chris Bass wrote:
rjsterry wrote:

That's exactly how i'll pitch my Toaster to the Dragons

Well dragons are one way to toast your bread but I'd rather not have one just for toast. The Welsh can keep them as far as I'm concerned.

Return to “The Cake Stop”