BREXIT - Saturday 19th Oct. Will the vote be as tight as an ants chuffy?

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
rjsterry

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby rjsterry » Thu Sep 12, 2019 18:36 pm

Mr Goo wrote:Yellow Hammer document is a bureaucratic 'Worst Case' scenario without any mitigation should we leave EU without deal.
Pre take off safety videos on planes are worst case scenarios with mitigation. And we continue to fly on planes.

There's some debate given that the worst case scenario looks suspiciously similar to what was leaked in August , titled as a base case scenario and denounced as out of date and inaccurate. Anyway we'll find out where we've got to when they issue the update in a couple of weeks.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Thu Sep 12, 2019 19:08 pm

8 weeks ago Boris' Cabinet was a Brexiteer Dream Team

Today their work product is derided as Project Fear

Help me out here.

What is it I'm missing?
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 19:36 pm

Stevo 666 wrote:
Robert88 wrote:Isn't refining stuff rather important to our gdp? Not a good idea to do all this protective stuff over.

That is why we would do it.

Rates and contribution to the economy here: if we impose 4.7% then it's a level playing field. If so, they could cut petrol excise duty to keep a lid on the price in the UK.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49425202
The govt said they would change tariffs if needed.

I thought the issue was that tariffs would stop us from exporting refined oil which would make our refineries uneconomic. How will adding tariffs to imports help?

Frankly it is a very small cost of Brexiting.

It really is bizarre the industries that the great british public chose to give a sh1t about. Is it a primeval thing that makes people care more about primary industries?

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 19:38 pm

TailWindHome wrote:8 weeks ago Boris' Cabinet was a Brexiteer Dream Team

Today their work product is derided as Project Fear

Help me out here.

What is it I'm missing?

I share your intrigue but doubt we will get a satisfactory answer.

Likewise the people who voted for Brexit are traitors and the ones who didn’t are “Spartans” which I assume is seen as a good thing.

DrHaggis

Postby DrHaggis » Thu Sep 12, 2019 19:43 pm

Surrey Commuter wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:
Robert88 wrote:Isn't refining stuff rather important to our gdp? Not a good idea to do all this protective stuff over.

Rates and contribution to the economy here: if we impose 4.7% then it's a level playing field. If so, they could cut petrol excise duty to keep a lid on the price in the UK.

I thought the issue was that tariffs would stop us from exporting refined oil which would make our refineries uneconomic. How will adding tariffs to imports help?

It really is bizarre the industries that the great british public chose to give a sh1t about. Is it a primeval thing that makes people care more about primary industries?

IANAEconomist, but surely if you raise import tariffs enough, provided there's enough oil in Scotland for the whole UK, a protectionistic approach might, just might, save the industry. Whether that's good use of resources is another matter.

Coopster the 1st

Postby Coopster the 1st » Thu Sep 12, 2019 19:47 pm

So many remoaners will not get this joke but the MATT cartoon has nailed it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fair-weather commuter
Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0 in Black - WOW :)
Giant Defy 2 - FCN 4(summer) / 5(winter) - Great bike
Hybrid - FCN 8 - Relegated to the pub bike

Surrey Commuter

Postby Surrey Commuter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 19:55 pm

DrHaggis wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:

IANAEconomist, but surely if you raise import tariffs enough, provided there's enough oil in Scotland for the whole UK, a protectionistic approach might, just might, save the industry. Whether that's good use of resources is another matter.

I think the issue is that the UK refineries have more capacity than the UK market needs therefore with tariffs that capacity will be cut.

If you extricate yourself from the world’s biggest market then these decisions are inevitable. WTF have people added refined oil to the list of industries they care about?

One of the advantages of freeing ourselves from the yoke of EU protectionism is that we can buy products tariff and standards free from anywhere in the world.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Thu Sep 12, 2019 20:36 pm

One more time: I only brought this up as it is supposedly the redacted bit of the Yellowhammer report just published. If correct it's possibly interesting that that is the bit that was supposed to be kept secret. Or it may just have been a ruse to distract journalists and forum regulars. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't mentioned it.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

Pross

Postby Pross » Thu Sep 12, 2019 20:51 pm

Surrey Commuter wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:

Refining oil is a secondary industry :wink:

Ironically, Brexit could bring about greater self reliance and the need for us to move back more to primary industries.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 20:52 pm

Pross wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:

Refining oil is a secondary industry :wink:

Ironically, Brexit could bring about greater self reliance and the need for us to move back more to primary industries.

Autarky does not work.

Ask anyone who lived through ‘70s & ‘80s Yugoslavia of Hitler before he decided to invade Poland.

darkhairedlord

Postby darkhairedlord » Thu Sep 12, 2019 23:51 pm

Coopster the 1st wrote:So many remoaners will not get this joke but the MATT cartoon has nailed it :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the whole this is a bicyclist forum. You do actually have a bike or perhaps have anything to contribute to the bicycling part?

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 06:40 am

Surrey Commuter wrote:
DrHaggis wrote:
Surrey Commuter wrote:
Stevo 666 wrote:

I think the issue is that the UK refineries have more capacity than the UK market needs therefore with tariffs that capacity will be cut.

If you extricate yourself from the world’s biggest market then these decisions are inevitable. WTF have people added refined oil to the list of industries they care about?

One of the advantages of freeing ourselves from the yoke of EU protectionism is that we can buy products tariff and standards free from anywhere in the world.

It is not simply oil into fuel. The chemical processing industry is the uk's biggest physical export contributor.

How it will be affected by Brexit I don't know but maybe it will free us from the shackles of the EU so we can produce and use stuff like ddt (Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane) again?

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Fri Sep 13, 2019 06:49 am

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 06:52 am

"I Used To Dislike James O'Brien, I Now Realise He Was Right About Everything"

A Leave voter has a Damscene moment (and is willing to admit to it!)

Dominic in Battersea said he used to be a Brexiter, but now admits he's not so sure, thanks to James's LBC shows.

Robert88

Postby Robert88 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 06:53 am

TailWindHome wrote:Image

:lol:

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 07:31 am

Robert88 wrote:
Dominic in Battersea said he used to be a Brexiter, but now admits he's not so sure, thanks to James's LBC shows.

Isn't that the ultimate remainer fantasy? A Brexiter saying "you were right"???

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 08:56 am

Rick Chasey wrote:
Robert88 wrote:

Isn't that the ultimate remainer fantasy? A Brexiter saying "you were right"???

Not been impressed by O'Brien lately. Most of his callers sound like plants, and anyone who sounds like they might have a credible argument against his position he just talks over and then cuts off. I know this is how these shows work, but sad to see him dragged down to the level of Ferrari, Farage et al just with a different political perspective.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 09:07 am

You have a lot more patience than me if you can listen to LBC. It's an entire radio show that has decided the Piers Morgan strategy to gain 'hits', listeners and viewers, is the most effective.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Fri Sep 13, 2019 09:28 am

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 am

Fintan O Toole wrote:The Times does fine work in tracking down the story of the Englishman Billy Hampton, who has left £1.5 million to Sinn Féin in his will because he was in a rage against the British government. It reports that he had previously sliced off his own penis. Two things seem remarkable. The story only makes page 20 — and quite rightly since it is far down the list of bizarre political developments, way behind the antics at Westminster. Plus, cutting off your penis and giving all your money to the most Anglophobic party you can think of is currently only the second most extreme form of self-harm in English politics, some distance behind a no-deal Brexit.

Return to “The Cake Stop”