BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 04:55 am

thecycleclinic wrote:Or a punch in the face. He had form on that apparently.

Could the WA get through this time. Is reality finally starting to bite. Is Bojo a more humble now his wings are clipped.


ERG will still vote against it and so will labour and likely Lib Dem’s.

Can’t see how it passes

User avatar
Robert88
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 05:44 am

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby Robert88 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 05:17 am

Surrey Commuter wrote:
Lagrange wrote:I don't understand a word of the last page. But I don't really give a toss about brexit to be honest. Whatever makes people happy. :D


I am glad it is not just me - I have no idea what Boycott has to do with Brexit


Brexit is clearly not Cricket and like Boycott, Jacob Rees Mogg is a Cad, a Bounder and should be horse whipped on the steps of Parliament.

User avatar
darkhairedlord
Posts: 4319
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 13:03 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby darkhairedlord » Wed Sep 11, 2019 09:37 am

Rick Chasey wrote:
thecycleclinic wrote:Or a punch in the face. He had form on that apparently.

Could the WA get through this time. Is reality finally starting to bite. Is Bojo a more humble now his wings are clipped.


ERG will still vote against it and so will labour and likely Lib Dem’s.

Can’t see how it passes

The threat of no deal isn't to get the EU on board, it's to get enough waiverers at home to sign up. I think they will go with NI only backstop subject NI only referendum. They will jettison the DUP if they can get support elsewhere.

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 14684
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby rjsterry » Wed Sep 11, 2019 09:49 am

Prorogation ruled unlawful in Scottish court.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

CarbonClem
Posts: 906
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby CarbonClem » Wed Sep 11, 2019 09:51 am

TheBigBean wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Pross wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:NICK TIMOTHY GETS A TITLE.



F*CK OFF.


That is hilarious. :lol:

Less funny is convicted criminal Boycott getting a gong.


It was a French conviction so will no longer count after Brexit. One of the main reasons for leaving was so we could have our own laws remember.

Were you unfortunate to catch him bullsh*ting his way through the interview this morning? He claimed that French law presumed guilt among other nonsense.


For a bit of balance.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... -case.html



Boycott, a columnist for Telegraph Sport, said: ...

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 15836
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby Rolf F » Wed Sep 11, 2019 09:59 am

rjsterry wrote:Prorogation ruled unlawful in Scottish court.


Oh dear. Not a good week for Bojo. But then no week is a good week for Bojo.

PS tee hee......
Faster than a tent.......

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:09 am

darkhairedlord wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
thecycleclinic wrote:Or a punch in the face. He had form on that apparently.

Could the WA get through this time. Is reality finally starting to bite. Is Bojo a more humble now his wings are clipped.


ERG will still vote against it and so will labour and likely Lib Dem’s.

Can’t see how it passes

The threat of no deal isn't to get the EU on board, it's to get enough waiverers at home to sign up. I think they will go with NI only backstop subject NI only referendum. They will jettison the DUP if they can get support elsewhere.


By law BoJo needs to genuinely ask for an extension if he can't get a deal past parliament. Given his promises about leaving come what may on 31st October, I can't see why the opposition would give him the opportunity to get that victory.

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 am

rjsterry wrote:Prorogation ruled unlawful in Scottish court.


Goes to supreme court, presumably.

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 14684
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby rjsterry » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:16 am

Rick Chasey wrote:
darkhairedlord wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
thecycleclinic wrote:Or a punch in the face. He had form on that apparently.

Could the WA get through this time. Is reality finally starting to bite. Is Bojo a more humble now his wings are clipped.


ERG will still vote against it and so will labour and likely Lib Dem’s.

Can’t see how it passes

The threat of no deal isn't to get the EU on board, it's to get enough waiverers at home to sign up. I think they will go with NI only backstop subject NI only referendum. They will jettison the DUP if they can get support elsewhere.


By law BoJo needs to genuinely ask for an extension if he can't get a deal past parliament. Given his promises about leaving come what may on 31st October, I can't see why the opposition would give him the opportunity to get that victory.


I think forcing an extension purely to hurt Johnson would be a pyrrhic victory for Labour.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:20 am

rjsterry wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
darkhairedlord wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
thecycleclinic wrote:Or a punch in the face. He had form on that apparently.

Could the WA get through this time. Is reality finally starting to bite. Is Bojo a more humble now his wings are clipped.


ERG will still vote against it and so will labour and likely Lib Dem’s.

Can’t see how it passes

The threat of no deal isn't to get the EU on board, it's to get enough waiverers at home to sign up. I think they will go with NI only backstop subject NI only referendum. They will jettison the DUP if they can get support elsewhere.


By law BoJo needs to genuinely ask for an extension if he can't get a deal past parliament. Given his promises about leaving come what may on 31st October, I can't see why the opposition would give him the opportunity to get that victory.


I think forcing an extension purely to hurt Johnson would be a pyrrhic victory for Labour.


Why, do you think they would be slammed in the polls harder than they have been already?

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 am

Rick Chasey wrote:
rjsterry wrote:Prorogation ruled unlawful in Scottish court.


Goes to supreme court, presumably.


From FT
https://www.ft.com/content/43a146f0-149 ... fa28e809e9

David Allen Green, a contributor to the Financial Times who specialises in law, says he has not seen such a court decision in 30 years of "constitutional geekery" and working on legal issues.

He points out that Scottish law is different to the law of England and Wales, which includes a different approach to constitutional law matters.

A matter that is unconstitutional can also be unlawful in Scotland, even if held to be lawful by the High Court, he says on Twitter. He puts the chances of the action succeeding in London as “zero”.

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 14684
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby rjsterry » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:43 am

Rick Chasey wrote:
rjsterry wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
darkhairedlord wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
thecycleclinic wrote:Or a punch in the face. He had form on that apparently.

Could the WA get through this time. Is reality finally starting to bite. Is Bojo a more humble now his wings are clipped.


ERG will still vote against it and so will labour and likely Lib Dem’s.

Can’t see how it passes

The threat of no deal isn't to get the EU on board, it's to get enough waiverers at home to sign up. I think they will go with NI only backstop subject NI only referendum. They will jettison the DUP if they can get support elsewhere.


By law BoJo needs to genuinely ask for an extension if he can't get a deal past parliament. Given his promises about leaving come what may on 31st October, I can't see why the opposition would give him the opportunity to get that victory.


I think forcing an extension purely to hurt Johnson would be a pyrrhic victory for Labour.


Why, do you think they would be slammed in the polls harder than they have been already?


I was thinking slightly more long term. It's all very well defeating Johnson but they need to be *for* something.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

KingstonGraham
Posts: 6972
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 19:54 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby KingstonGraham » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:48 am

rjsterry wrote:I was thinking slightly more long term. It's all very well defeating Johnson but they need to be *for* something.


They need to be able to explain succinctly why they are for a deal but not this deal. If they are.
my natural exuberance spills out all over the place

PBlakeney
Posts: 9177
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 22:37 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby PBlakeney » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:23 am

Rick Chasey wrote:
Rick Chasey wrote:
rjsterry wrote:Prorogation ruled unlawful in Scottish court.


Goes to supreme court, presumably.


From FT
https://www.ft.com/content/43a146f0-149 ... fa28e809e9

David Allen Green, a contributor to the Financial Times who specialises in law, says he has not seen such a court decision in 30 years of "constitutional geekery" and working on legal issues.

He points out that Scottish law is different to the law of England and Wales, which includes a different approach to constitutional law matters.

A matter that is unconstitutional can also be unlawful in Scotland, even if held to be lawful by the High Court, he says on Twitter. He puts the chances of the action succeeding in London as “zero”.

No doubt the SNP will be happy either way.
The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
I am not sure. You have no chance.

Veronese68 wrote:PB is the most sensible person on here.

User avatar
Rick Chasey
Lives Here
Posts: 43745
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 15:34 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Curious that Rees-Mogg, Banks, Barclay Bros, Leadsom's husband and brother in law were all named in the paradise papers.

EU has that kind of behaviour firmly in their sights, naturally. UK has a patchy record when it comes to transparency in tax havens.

Longshot
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 14:22 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby Longshot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Curious that Rees-Mogg, Banks, Barclay Bros, Leadsom's husband and brother in law were all named in the paradise papers.

EU has that kind of behaviour firmly in their sights, naturally. UK has a patchy record when it comes to transparency in tax havens.


Indeed.

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 14684
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby rjsterry » Wed Sep 11, 2019 16:33 pm

People's PMQs no. 2.

Forensic holding to account it was not.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

User avatar
Stevo 666
Posts: 33477
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:21 am

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby Stevo 666 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 16:48 pm

Rick Chasey wrote:Curious that Rees-Mogg, Banks, Barclay Bros, Leadsom's husband and brother in law were all named in the paradise papers.

EU has that kind of behaviour firmly in their sights, naturally. UK has a patchy record when it comes to transparency in tax havens.

In what way?

We are signed up to all the EU initiatives on that front currently and have quite a few bits and pieces in our domestic legislation also.
Whippet
Bruiser
Panzer
Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 14684
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby rjsterry » Wed Sep 11, 2019 17:19 pm

“Neither Nigel Farage nor Arron Banks are fit and proper persons and they should never be allowed anywhere near government.”

So that's a no to the election pact.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.

User avatar
TailWindHome
Posts: 13476
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 08:57 am

Re: BREXIT - Complete Meltdown

Postby TailWindHome » Wed Sep 11, 2019 17:21 pm

David Allen Green
@davidallengreen
·
5m
Today, in summary

For the first time a court - and not just any court, but the highest court of one of the constituent nations of the United Kingdom - ruled that the Prime Minister had knowingly misled the Sovereign

If
@UKSupremeCourt
concurs, the Prime Minister must resign
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CarbonClem, Coopster the 1st, crispybug2, NitrousOxide, rjsterry, Rolf F and 10 guests