Carbon Clinchers

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Dannbodge
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Dannbodge » Tue Sep 03, 2019 08:33 am

Right so in the end I've gone for the Rovals.

They are the ones I wanted and I had the money so decided if I didn't get them I'm probably regret it and keep wanting them.

User avatar
bradsbeard
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:46 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby bradsbeard » Tue Sep 03, 2019 09:45 am

Can't rate Lightbicycle highly enough.

I had my wheelset within 3 weeks. Communications 1st rate.

46mm carbon rims, Sapim nipples, Sapim CX rays and DT Swiss 240s Thru Axle hubs. Also specified the finish and graphics for the rims.

Saved about £450 against comparable build in the UK.
Last edited by bradsbeard on Tue Sep 03, 2019 15:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

w00dster
Posts: 904
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 07:59 am

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby w00dster » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:43 am

OP has made his decision, so for this thread its no longer relevant, but I guess still could be interesting to other people in the future. (A wise decision as well OP, enjoy the new wheels)
Bradsbeard, what was the full cost (inc local taxes) for the lightbicyle wheels you purchased? Hard to work out what the saved £450 means in real terms.
I did a very quick costing on Lightbicycle, website wasn't great on my works laptop was taking a while to change screens. Came up to $648.20 without tax. £540 excluding taxes. Lightbicycle 45mm carbon clincher using a Novatec hub, Sapim spokes, included valve stem, tubeless tape and brake pads. A service fee of $30 per wheel was added. Tax pre-paid delivery is $155, or EMS delivery is $78 and you still have to pay import duty.
As a very crude estimate, using Google exchange rate, total cost of similar wheels would be $801 dollars delivered to the UK - £669. This is approx £180 cheaper than the Hunts. (Not like for like - but reasonably close)
I'm not trying to be argumentative, just think it is worth displaying real data. Back in the day it was possible to get far eastern imports for approx £500, but I don't think thats possible anymore. Planet X was always around the £400 to £450 mark - but I'm talking way for that price.


Matthewfalle
Posts: 16867
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:06 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Matthewfalle » Tue Sep 03, 2019 15:50 pm

equiv. Primes are £499.99 if that helps muddy the waters.

Novatek hubs, Sapim spokes, most probs exactly the same rims.

#decisons
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

bobones
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 14:11 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby bobones » Tue Sep 03, 2019 16:06 pm

The cheaper Primes are over 1600 g and have J bend spokes and hubs. The equivalent Primes are probably RP-50 or Black Editions which are still over 1500 g and are being sold for over £700.

rwoofer
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby rwoofer » Tue Sep 03, 2019 18:38 pm

That is a great price. Unfortunately I have just purchased a pair of CLX 32s!

Mr_Mojo
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 16:16 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Mr_Mojo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 19:17 pm

A bit late now but you should have had a look at Caden wheels https://carbonbikewheels.com.au/eu

I was going to get a pair but picked up a pair of Zipp 202’s at a great price.

Daniel B
Posts: 8539
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:43 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Daniel B » Tue Sep 03, 2019 19:21 pm

bradsbeard wrote:Can't rate Lightbicycle highly enough.

I had my wheelset within 3 weeks. Communications 1st rate.

46mm carbon rims, Sapim nipples, Sapim CX rays and DT Swiss 240s Thru Axle hubs. Also specified the finish and graphics for the rims.

Saved about £450 against comparable build in the UK.


These look pretty good - any pics of yours with decals etc?

Do I also see it that they offer some kind of textured braking surface for rim brake wheels?
Not as good as Exalith I assume, but presumably with enhanced braking performance in mind?

Gonna struggle to better my 1370g Mavic shallow rims though.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Dannbodge
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Dannbodge » Wed Sep 04, 2019 06:52 am

Mr_Mojo wrote:A bit late now but you should have had a look at Caden wheels https://carbonbikewheels.com.au/eu

I was going to get a pair but picked up a pair of Zipp 202’s at a great price.


I did consider them as they look like great wheels.

philbar72
Posts: 2169
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 21:34 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby philbar72 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 07:48 am

Franco di Banco wrote:
Shipley wrote:
Matthewfalle wrote:
Dannbodge wrote:(I do not want Hunts).



these are the wisest words anyone apart from MF has typed on here in ages.'


As a matter of interest.....what’s the problem with Hunt wheels ??


There's nothing wrong with Hunts wheels. MF doesn't like them for no apparent reason so misses no opportunity to shout his mouth off, just like every other topic. He is very boring with his self important comments. But every forum has it's idiot.


watch for sealing issues and corroded bearings. the seals I have had are flaky at best.

bobones
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 14:11 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby bobones » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:51 pm

philbar72 wrote:watch for sealing issues and corroded bearings. the seals I have had are flaky at best..

To be fair, most of the Taiwanese hubs (be they Novatec, Chosen, Bitex, Powerway, etc.) are poorly sealed, although this can be mitigated against by using high quality cartridge bearings and applying grease copiously. Nevertheless, if you use these hubs in the wet then expect to be replacing the bearings relatively frequently if you want them to feel smooth and have no play. I don't think Hunt are any worse than the competition in this respect; the problem I have is they charge a lot more for what amounts to a pretty website, smart logos, nice packaging and a few spare spokes: a triumph of marketing over common sense.

Matthewfalle
Posts: 16867
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:06 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 16:01 pm

bobones wrote:. I don't think Hunt are any worse than the competition in this respect; the problem I have is they charge a lot more for what amounts to a pretty website, smart logos, nice packaging and a few spare spokes: a triumph of marketing over common sense.



he's right you know, 100%right.

#don'tgetmugged
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Matthewfalle
Posts: 16867
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:06 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Matthewfalle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 17:42 pm

philbar72 wrote:[

watch for sealing issues and corroded bearings. the seals I have had are flaky at best.


this dude is right as well.

#don'tgetmugged
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Dannbodge
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Dannbodge » Sat Sep 07, 2019 06:23 am

So I took delivery of the Rovals on Wednesday and got them on the bike yesterday.
Very happy with them so far. Quality is great and they are super light (1452g including rim tape).
Only issue at the moment is that the freehub is a bit quiet and the QR skewers are horrible.

Matt_N
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 15:16 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Matt_N » Sat Sep 07, 2019 06:42 am

Dannbodge wrote:So I took delivery of the Rovals on Wednesday and got them on the bike yesterday.
Very happy with them so far. Quality is great and they are super light (1452g including rim tape).
Only issue at the moment is that the freehub is a bit quiet and the QR skewers are horrible.



DT internals on Rovals isn’t it?

The star ratchet systemisn’t super loud but you can swap it out to the 36t for some more noise and quicker engagement.

Some Rovals come with 36t or 54t standard though.
Colnago Master Olympic
Colnago CLX 3.0
Colnago Dream
Giant Trinity Advanced
Italian steel winter hack

Dannbodge
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Dannbodge » Sat Sep 07, 2019 07:14 am

Matt_N wrote:
Dannbodge wrote:So I took delivery of the Rovals on Wednesday and got them on the bike yesterday.
Very happy with them so far. Quality is great and they are super light (1452g including rim tape).
Only issue at the moment is that the freehub is a bit quiet and the QR skewers are horrible.



DT internals on Rovals isn’t it?

The star ratchet systemisn’t super loud but you can swap it out to the 36t for some more noise and quicker engagement.

Some Rovals come with 36t or 54t standard though.



Yeah basically a 350 hub. It's got the 18t in at the moment so I'll be looking at changing it for a 36t at some point ( I always wanted DT hubs anyway)

Matthewfalle
Posts: 16867
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 23:06 pm

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Matthewfalle » Sat Sep 07, 2019 09:18 am

Dannbodge wrote: and the QR skewers are horrible.



these are well light, look really nice, are a good price and work perfect if you want new skewers. very recommended.

remember that black ones are faster.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQ ... bon-levers
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D

smithy21 wrote:
He's right you know.

Dannbodge
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby Dannbodge » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:48 am

Matthewfalle wrote:
Dannbodge wrote: and the QR skewers are horrible.



these are well light, look really nice, are a good price and work perfect if you want new skewers. very recommended.

remember that black ones are faster.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQ ... bon-levers


I've only heard bad things about those ones so I'm looking at these instead.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-tk221-ro ... cut-skewer

siddy1972
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 08:45 am

Re: Carbon Clinchers

Postby siddy1972 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 18:02 pm

I have Parcours Passista, and they’ve been great- although again, I think they’re probably along the same lines as the others here, but at least you have UK contact / warranty.
I did have Hunt 50mm carbon wheels, and after having 1 rebuild and 2 replacement rear wheels, got my money back. The rear NDS spokes flat refused to stay tight after every single ride- an issue I’ve never experienced on any other wheel. Wouldn’t buy them again- but maybe I was just very unlucky...


Return to “Road Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests