Moriarty carbon wheelsets

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
k3vinjam3s

Re: Moriarty carbon wheelsets

Postby k3vinjam3s » Thu Jun 20, 2019 19:53 pm

Daniel B wrote:They do appear to be very good value don't they, be interested to hear how you get on with them once they arrive.

Wheel weights, if accurate, seem to be very competitive.
Bit surprised the 50F\60R comes in at 1540g, the same as 30F\50R.

Can you spec them with no decals if you wanted do you know?

Not sure on the decals. They are quite understated so can live with that.

As for weights lets see what they weigh when they arrive.

Daniel B

Postby Daniel B » Thu Jun 20, 2019 19:55 pm

k3vinjam3s wrote:
Daniel B wrote:They do appear to be very good value don't they, be interested to hear how you get on with them once they arrive.

Wheel weights, if accurate, seem to be very competitive.
Bit surprised the 50F\60R comes in at 1540g, the same as 30F\50R.

Can you spec them with no decals if you wanted do you know?

Not sure on the decals. They are quite understated so can live with that.

As for weights lets see what they weigh when they arrive.

Worst case they would come off with a hair dryer like my Mavics I expect.

So you went for the M5 set - allegedly they weigh 1580g.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Matt_N

Postby Matt_N » Thu Jun 20, 2019 19:58 pm

k3vinjam3s wrote:
Matt_N wrote:I actually really like the look of them and have emailed to ask if they can supply with a Campag freehub, I know it’s easily swapped but I want it to be supplied, just over £400 for the 50mm seems good VFM to me and more representative of the price versus getting them direct from source unlike some companies that rebrand and double the price!

I have had good communication from them and they more or less said they were brands on the market with the same builds charging double the price. I have ordered the 50mm wheelset from them on the back of their detailed coms. A 4 week aint great though but ill be patient.

Farsports, CarbonSpeedCycle will be a similar wait too.

Presume you paid by credit card to give you some protection should they not materialise? Have they actually shipped any wheels and the next batch is due in 4 weeks or is this first batch?
Colnago Master Olympic
Colnago CLX 3.0
Colnago Dream
Giant Trinity Advanced
Italian steel winter hack

k3vinjam3s

Postby k3vinjam3s » Thu Jun 20, 2019 20:02 pm

Considered the 60/50 but more likely to buy a set of 38s if these are decent so i can swap out the front wheel if silly windy. Dnt think i need a 60mm rear for riding i do.

Yes paid by credit card thru paypal.

Matt_N

Postby Matt_N » Thu Jun 20, 2019 20:08 pm

k3vinjam3s wrote:Considered the 60/50 but more likely to buy a set of 38s if these are decent so i can swap out the front wheel if silly windy. Dnt think i need a 60mm rear for riding i do.

Yes paid by credit card thru paypal.

Cool.

Keep us posted on progress.
Colnago Master Olympic
Colnago CLX 3.0
Colnago Dream
Giant Trinity Advanced

rider_x

Postby rider_x » Fri Jun 21, 2019 08:45 am

As far as I can tell all that's happening here is Moriarty are placing the order with the Chinese supplier rather than you doing so directly. It's no coincidence that the majority of Chinese factories are holding regular sales on their "old" 23mm width rims, so lacing them to some Bitex hubs with Pillar spokes isn't going to cost the earth.

Now I've no opinion one way or the other as to the quality of the wheels themselves - many Chinese suppliers turn out a good product. But claiming that the wheels have been "developed by Moriarty Bikes" is a little rich. Perhaps the "developers" at Moriarty would like to chime in as to how a 38mm rim can have the same ERD measurement as a 50mm rim (both listed at 544mm) or how the 38mm rim has a 50mm brake track? Or maybe they didn't proof-read the rim profile graphics that were emailed to them?

Truthfully, you're probably far better off emailing your chosen Chinese supplier directly as odds are they'll actually have more than a passing knowledge of the product they're selling you. You'll avoid paying whatever mark-up these guys are charging and have exactly the same lead time on an order. Plus you can choose your own graphics.

k3vinjam3s

Postby k3vinjam3s » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:07 pm

rider_x wrote:As far as I can tell all that's happening here is Moriarty are placing the order with the Chinese supplier rather than you doing so directly. It's no coincidence that the majority of Chinese factories are holding regular sales on their "old" 23mm width rims, so lacing them to some Bitex hubs with Pillar spokes isn't going to cost the earth.

Now I've no opinion one way or the other as to the quality of the wheels themselves - many Chinese suppliers turn out a good product. But claiming that the wheels have been "developed by Moriarty Bikes" is a little rich. Perhaps the "developers" at Moriarty would like to chime in as to how a 38mm rim can have the same ERD measurement as a 50mm rim (both listed at 544mm) or how the 38mm rim has a 50mm brake track? Or maybe they didn't proof-read the rim profile graphics that were emailed to them?

Truthfully, you're probably far better off emailing your chosen Chinese supplier directly as odds are they'll actually have more than a passing knowledge of the product they're selling you. You'll avoid paying whatever mark-up these guys are charging and have exactly the same lead time on an order. Plus you can choose your own graphics.

Nice first post.

I havent ordered blind and moriarty even said they do the same what you have said above but then have them rebranded and quality checked here in uk.

Fair enough if im paying more than i should but as they seem fair value anyway im ok with that.

Matt_N

Postby Matt_N » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:37 pm

On the price front I think I’m ok with £400, by the time you pay import on direct sale wheels you’ll not be far off that and at least with this company you do have some UK based support.

It’s the companies that rebrand and then charge £700+ for wheels that can be bought direct for ~£300 that stings a bit.
Colnago Master Olympic
Colnago CLX 3.0
Colnago Dream
Giant Trinity Advanced

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 14:57 pm

k3vinjam3s wrote:Nice first post.

To be fair, it struck me as being pretty knowledgeable...

k3vinjam3s

Postby k3vinjam3s » Fri Jun 21, 2019 15:09 pm

Imposter wrote:

Yes but cant help but see it as bitter to join specifically to coment on this thread.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 15:14 pm

k3vinjam3s wrote:
Imposter wrote:

Yes but cant help but see it as bitter to join specifically to coment on this thread.

I must have missed the 'bitterness'...

rider_x

Postby rider_x » Fri Jun 21, 2019 15:51 pm

k3vinjam3s wrote:
Imposter wrote:

I'm sorry you found my comments bitter. It wasn't meant as such. I was more trying to explain that there really isn't a difference between buying these wheels versus buying direct from source. The lack of technical expertise displayed on the website suggests that the value of any "UK-based support" is effectively zero. Whether or not you place any value on a warranty that lasts three times longer than the company offering it has so far, that's up to you.

I'm not sure which companies you're referring to that "rebrand" £300 wheels and sell for £700+ but many of them do actually add some value to the chain. Sure, the wheels might only "cost" £300 (sidenote: a high-quality build costs more than that to manufacture) but knowing where to buy them can be worth a fair amount! Equally, some don't add any value beyond pretty stickers. Either way, I don't think there are many folks sitting out their on their superyachts having made their money in the wheel business these days.

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Fri Jun 21, 2019 16:16 pm

k3vinjam3s wrote:
g00se wrote:Have a look at Prime wheels. Warranty backing by Wiggle/ChainReaction.

Have looked and cant stand the decals. Can be removed but no doubt that will void warranty maybe?

I
Are you being serious
Basically you ride the damn things into the weeds anyway - stuff the warranty.

k3vinjam3s

Postby k3vinjam3s » Tue Jul 16, 2019 06:55 am

Just an update on the wheelset. Only had an hour blast on them so far but felt good in that short ride. First time on carbon wheels so nothing to compare to but seem better at maintaining speed then my previous wheels. Out the saddle they felt good plenty stiff considering im a 95kg rider.

Time will tell i suppose when it comes to quality. So ill update in a few months of riding to see if they are still perrforming.

Just to add though. I had numerous emails back and forth with the owner of the company. Nothing but promt, professional and very thorough responses. I sincerely hope that his business is successful as he was a pleasure to deal with.

Matt_N

Postby Matt_N » Tue Jul 16, 2019 06:57 am

k3vinjam3s wrote:Just an update on the wheelset. Only had an hour blast on them so far but felt good in that short ride. First time on carbon wheels so nothing to compare to but seem better at maintaining speed then my previous wheels. Out the saddle they felt good plenty stiff considering im a 95kg rider.

Time will tell i suppose when it comes to quality. So ill update in a few months of riding to see if they are still perrforming.

Just to add though. I had numerous emails back and forth with the owner of the company. Nothing but promt, professional and very thorough responses. I sincerely hope that his business is successful as he was a pleasure to deal with.

Nice to report back, thanks.

Any pictures?
Colnago Master Olympic
Colnago CLX 3.0
Colnago Dream
Giant Trinity Advanced

k3vinjam3s

Postby k3vinjam3s » Tue Jul 16, 2019 07:33 am

This is before new chain was put on.

Daniel B

Postby Daniel B » Tue Jul 16, 2019 07:55 am

k3vinjam3s wrote:Just an update on the wheelset. Only had an hour blast on them so far but felt good in that short ride. First time on carbon wheels so nothing to compare to but seem better at maintaining speed then my previous wheels. Out the saddle they felt good plenty stiff considering im a 95kg rider.

Nice one, did you manage to weigh them out of the box?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

k3vinjam3s

Postby k3vinjam3s » Tue Jul 16, 2019 07:56 am

Daniel B wrote:

Nice one, did you manage to weigh them out of the box?

Yes both with rim tape already on, front 720g and rear 920g.

Pippi Langsamer

Postby Pippi Langsamer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 am

The number of new wheel "companies", is almost on-par with the number of new "boutique", cycle clothing brands! Everyday, I seem to be getting fed details of another new brand of clothing. Rapha Effect and all that. If these companies only last a year, I suspect they'll have found it worthwhile- similar to the wheel suppliers.

As stated already, far too many knickers getting twisted over warranty and "ooooh.....but the rime width is so last year", etc...

"They're selling Hippy wigs in Woolworths, man..."

Davie mac 30

Postby Davie mac 30 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 14:38 pm

I have a set of the 50mm wheels ( disc version) . I have done over a 1000km on them and I can't fault them .

Return to “Road Buying Advice”