Alex222 wrote:Finish is the UD Matt option

Cheers
2013 Kinesis Racelight TK3
2011 Cannondale SuperSix
2008 Specialized Allez Elite

flight147z

Re: Upgrading to Carbon Wheels...

Postby flight147z » Sat Jun 15, 2019 18:59 pm

I have those Farsport wheels too. I got them last August and have done about 2,500 miles on them since then

Apart from having the rear wheel trued recently I haven't had any issues

Braking is fine, though not as good as alloy rims with the supplied pads

They look great and sound awesome

converse2020

Postby converse2020 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 13:03 pm

Can anyone advise on the approximate custom fees etc if I buy a set of wheels from likes of carbonzone on eBay as I see they are selling wheels from around £200. That seems incredibly cheap , but maybe they’ll get £200 of customs fees and vat added ???

Thanks

Rokt

Postby Rokt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 15:39 pm

I would highly recommend www.zedbikewheels.com, they are well worth a close look.

I ride with a couple of mates that have the Extralite versions and they are beautifully made, nice and light, ride much better than my carbon Mavic’s and are a good bit cheaper.

The best thing about them though is, they’re made in Yorkshire.

What more could you ask for !

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Sun Jun 16, 2019 16:16 pm

Rokt wrote:The best thing about them though is, they’re made in Yorkshire.

'built' in Yorkshire, according to the website. Not quite the same thing..

Rokt

Postby Rokt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 17:32 pm

You’re right, I stand corrected.

Alex222

Postby Alex222 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 09:41 am

Had my first ride on the new Farsports at the weekend, but could only get out for a one hour blast.

It ended up being windy and wet, and I definitely had to stay more switched on in the wind than I would with shallow rims. Braking was better than I had expected, although the ride was flat so I didn't have any descents to test them on.

All in all very pleased with them, and I felt faster (subjective I know). Getting a long ride down to Brighton and back this Sunday which should provide a better test.

Kingstonian

Postby Kingstonian » Wed Jun 19, 2019 13:02 pm

I've had a set of 50mm (well, they say 51mm but what's 1mm between friends) tubeless disc brake wheels from DCR for about a year now. They are banging - look the nuts, no logos on the rims as I wanted, as others have said the sound is epic, no issues with crosswinds, and above all def give a faster ride. The service from DCR was impeccable, couldn't fault them one bit.

Darrell1967

Postby Darrell1967 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:53 am

I’ve got Knight Composite TLA 50mm on my Boardman. The logos are in black so it’s very subtle.
Not sure about speed advantages but in my mind they are quicker.

cowboyjon

Postby cowboyjon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 16:07 pm

I don't understand the 'I think they make me faster, but it might be in my head' type comments.

I'm looking for some decent cheap 50mm carbon disc wheels and the first thing I'll be doing when I eventually get them is heading straight out on my local loop to compare my average speed using good old Strava.

Or maybe I've got something wrong somewhere here?

Shortfall

Postby Shortfall » Thu Jun 20, 2019 16:55 pm

cowboyjon wrote:I don't understand the 'I think they make me faster, but it might be in my head' type comments.

I'm looking for some decent cheap 50mm carbon disc wheels and the first thing I'll be doing when I eventually get them is heading straight out on my local loop to compare my average speed using good old Strava.

I think it means that the gains they give you are at the margins so don't expect to increase your average speed by huge amounts just by switching to deeper rims alone. Aero gains are real but a good position on the bike and tight fitting clothing added together with deep rims fitted with the correct width tyre at the right pressure will help you realise any speed advantage.
Last edited by Shortfall on Thu Jun 20, 2019 19:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingstonian

Postby Kingstonian » Thu Jun 20, 2019 17:05 pm

cowboyjon wrote:I don't understand the 'I think they make me faster, but it might be in my head' type comments.

I literally did as you said - went out early the next morning and went full beans around a regular training route, blasting PRs to bits !!!

cowboyjon

Postby cowboyjon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 17:26 pm

Kingstonian wrote:

I literally did as you said - went out early the next morning and went full beans around a regular training route, blasting PRs to bits !!!

Now that's what I want to hear!

To me it isn't complicated. If I spend the cash and see zero (easily) quantifiable gains then it's been a complete waste of money.

Alex222

Postby Alex222 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 18:03 pm

I've no doubt that they'll make me faster, but my first ride was so windy it's difficult to separate out their impact

Matt_N

Postby Matt_N » Thu Jun 20, 2019 19:11 pm

Rokt wrote:I would highly recommend http://www.zedbikewheels.com, they are well worth a close look.

I ride with a couple of mates that have the Extralite versions and they are beautifully made, nice and light, ride much better than my carbon Mavic’s and are a good bit cheaper.

The best thing about them though is, they’re made in Yorkshire.

What more could you ask for !

No mention of what hub and spokes they use?

The rims look nice but I’m guessing they use the same generic Chosen/Bitex hubs and Pillar spokes that the Chinese / Taiwanese builders use otherwise you’d mention you’re using something different / better.

It’s difficult not to knock these UK builders and I know you’ll get better support but you could replace a broken wheel 2 or 3 times over by buying direct.
Colnago Master Olympic
Colnago CLX 3.0
Colnago Dream
Giant Trinity Advanced
Italian steel winter hack

Return to “Road Buying Advice”